Doidge back at Forest Green

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Re: Doidge back at Forest Green

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 7:13 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:
I could never see what would have been in it for outside financiers if the club didn't own the ground, but the state of RPL's finances revealed more recently makes sense of it.

This isn't a trick question.

What was it about RPL's financial position which would have made an attractive proposition to take control of Newport County.
no avatar
User

PMG

Postby PMG » January 9th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Not true
Les had sold the club before he offered it to the trust
The then directors did there best to do due diligence and stop him.which they did
He then offered it to me Crook
And that’s when the Trust AKA mr Pring Gazumped the bid
Hence paying £250k more than they needed to
Fact
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 9th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:
I could never see what would have been in it for outside financiers if the club didn't own the ground, but the state of RPL's finances revealed more recently makes sense of it.

This isn't a trick question.

What was it about RPL's financial position which would have made an attractive proposition to take control of Newport County.

Because a (probably leveraged) part-ownership of the football club could have provided a platform for acquiring the whole site (probably leveraged).
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » January 9th, 2019, 9:01 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:We've been round this block so many times. If it was true as reported here that Holdsworth was prepared to help get the Trust bid over the line, it would have ceased to be a Trust bid. Enough people might then have kept their money in their pockets for a hybrid bid to have failed. (I would have.)

Any obligation to disclose bids rivalling the Trust's was Les Scadding's or the rival bidder's.

Irrespective of their finances do you honestly think RPL would have sold to a football club? I very much doubt that.
no avatar
User

whoareya

Postby whoareya » January 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm

PMG wrote:Not true
The then directors did there best to do due diligence and stop him.which they did
Fact

I don't know if that's true, let alone fact.

But notwithstanding - it depends if you consider raising the extra monies from the masses was worth it, to give fan ownership a chance, instead of passing ownership back to the usual suspects and revert to form.

Worth every penny to me.
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » January 9th, 2019, 9:31 pm

whoareya wrote:
Fact

But notwithstanding - it depends if you consider raising the extra monies from the masses was worth it, to give fan ownership a chance, instead of passing ownership back to the usual suspects and revert to form.

Worth every penny to me.

With a few reservations so do I .
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Postby Alan G Bryant » January 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

whoareya wrote:
Fact

Worth every penny to me.

I agree with you but you will never reason with the minority with an agenda.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » January 10th, 2019, 9:09 am

lowandhard wrote: Irrespective of their finances do you honestly think RPL would have sold to a football club? I very much doubt that.

Imagine if a couple of years down the line WRU hadn't fancied or couldn't afford it. Stakeholders in the football club would have had more credibility than a random bidder. Worth a punt, particularly if Trust members had paid most of the bill for the club in the first place.
Previous