Cup revenue

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Posts

295

Re: Cup revenue

Postby allontheamber » January 9th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Fourthousand wrote:
allontheamber wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Gavin Foxhall stated on live TV in front of 5 million viewers that the cup revenue wasn't taken into account when the clubs budget was agreed pre the season starting.
Or thats how I heard it :wink:[/quote

Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.


What do you mean as 'improvements'?


I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2197

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Willthiswork » January 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm

allontheamber wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
What do you mean as 'improvements'?


I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.


Can't disagree but if you pay peanuts!!!
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

14529

Location

MT

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Exile 1976 » January 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm

allontheamber wrote:
Fourthousand wrote:
allontheamber wrote:
Agree and I assume the same was true of the previous season so why did we not seem improvements equal to the income received from the 2017/18 cup run. It's no wonder people become more and more sceptical.


What do you mean as 'improvements'?


I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.[/quote]


We brought in Alex Eagle who has overseen a big increase in commercial revenue
no avatar
User

allontheamber

Posts

295

Re: Cup revenue

Postby allontheamber » January 9th, 2019, 4:04 pm

I'm sure Alex is doing a great job but how does the size of our existing commercial department compare with other L2 sides?
You will notice I used the word "professionals" ie more than one to considerably beef up that department.
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2197

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Willthiswork » January 9th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Posts

636

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Fourthousand » January 9th, 2019, 4:25 pm

What do you mean as 'improvements'?[/quote]

I would have started by considerably beefing up the commercial department. Bring in professionals with proven track records. I suspect it would be one area where we could have seen a significant return on investment.[/quote][/quote]

Thanks for detail - understand your point. I also think it's all about driving up the value of the business. It's no good people gnashing teeth and pointing to our misfortunes vis a vis other clubs as all the dynamics and circumstances will have been different. This is the here and now, this is a business and yes we need to take best practice from the 'football industry' but more importantly the world of commerce (wider best practise than just football) - .we need people to sweat the asset/build the brand with experience of growing businesses.

I would be dismayed if our Board can't see this or are not addressing it I don't believe that just by 'selling the club to someone with money is the way to go - a cope out and storing up potential future problems and definitely lack of control/destiny; yes take on best advise/ have the equivalent of non ex directors on the Board but don't, please never ever give the controlling interest of the club away.

Here's a novel idea why doesn't our Board of Directors take ' the club' into The Dragon's Den - go for some investment in return for a share plus the advice to grow the brand. After x years they reduce their stake once they have taken their initial investment out - If nothing else it would put the club in the shop window for other potential (minority) private stakeholders.

Our Board need to be looking to get these people onside / engaging with them/ selling the vision without throwing the baby out with the bathwater or paying high salaries for this advise which is a cost we can ill afford at this tine of our developmeny i.e very small amount of disposable cash (If any).
no avatar
User

Exile 1976

Posts

14529

Location

MT

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Exile 1976 » January 9th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Willthiswork wrote:Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.



Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????
no avatar
User

G Guest

Posts

2764

Re: Cup revenue

Postby G Guest » January 9th, 2019, 6:11 pm

The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10995

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 6:17 pm

G Guest wrote:The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.


You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Posts

636

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Fourthousand » January 9th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
G Guest wrote:The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.


You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.


IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10995

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 6:25 pm

Fourthousand wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
G Guest wrote:The club has a structural deficit of about £6,000 a week or £300,000 a year. This has to be met by cup runs, selling players or anything else that turns up. That's where the money goes. At least for this season we don't have to worry anymore.


You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.


IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.


Don't you think the two should go hand in hand?
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Posts

636

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Fourthousand » January 9th, 2019, 6:42 pm

You might be right but it means that we were planning to run at a loss. As for not worrying this about this season, it makes my point. Four months from now the season's over.[/quote]

IF correct we have to drive and strive for a sustainable model before we start dreaming of stadia or L1/Championship progression - all Pie in the Sky unless we drive revenue into the business.[/quote]

Don't you think the two should go hand in hand?[/quote]

Horse before the cart for me - invest to drive revenue but the later two is unreachable in short to medium imo
no avatar
User

Willthiswork

Rank

Moderator

Posts

2197

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Willthiswork » January 9th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Exile 1976 wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.



Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????


Yes, about half of the Bisley side was blank boards or no boards at all. You must have been in the Bisley and didn't see them, only the nice electronic ones?

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Posts

10995

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 6:55 pm

Willthiswork wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Without looking, and not including the Cup games, have we had a match sponsor that wasn't already connected through the club as a Director or the Trust etc.? Not many I think.

To have advertising boards empty for the Leicester game was extremely poor. If you can't fill them put a Trust board up to fill the gaps - at least it looks like we can sell advertisting space and we can then charge rather than putting the potential sponsor in the best bargaining position.



Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????


Yes, about half of the Bisley side was blank boards or no boards at all. You must have been in the Bisley and didn't see them, only the nice electronic ones?

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.


This is where if the club took the trouble to communicate with fans we could advance.

You spotted something which you believe could be improved upon. Surely rather than seek to blame anyone it is the type of thing the club should now be aware of for next time. Criticism is a positive thing. Really powerful people welcome it.
no avatar
User

Bangitintrnet

Posts

268

Re: Cup revenue

Postby Bangitintrnet » January 9th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Empty advertising boards for the Leicester game????[/quote]

Yes, about half of the Bisley side was blank boards or no boards at all. You must have been in the Bisley and didn't see them, only the nice electronic ones?

Even if they used some of those behind the electronic ones it would have looked better than none at all.[/quote]

This is where if the club took the trouble to communicate with fans we could advance.

You spotted something which you believe could be improved upon. Surely rather than seek to blame anyone it is the type of thing the club should now be aware of for next time. Criticism is a positive thing. Really powerful people welcome it.[/quote]



I heard that last season the advertising around the pitch for televised games was priced a bit low, as we hadn't had a big game for some time.
So I guess the rates were more realistic this year. I believe that the cost for the electronic advertising at the Wembley replay was tens of thousands per minute.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BertieB, llanwern exile, Stan A. Einstein and 47 guests

Powered by phpBB ®