Forty Years Ago Today

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

david_g_barron

Forty Years Ago Today

Postby david_g_barron » January 9th, 2019, 5:43 pm

At the time of posting it, on this day in 1979;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/newportcounty/2382681257
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Re: Forty Years Ago Today

Postby Fourthousand » January 9th, 2019, 5:46 pm

david_g_barron wrote:At the time of posting it, on this day in 1979;
https://www.flickr.com/photos/newportcounty/2382681257

I can recall Pop Robson scoring a bullet and Eddie Woods the winner off a corner and the place going mad.
no avatar
User

Neddy Flanders

Postby Neddy Flanders » January 9th, 2019, 5:48 pm

Jeez !!! That makes me feel old
no avatar
User

worksop amber

Postby worksop amber » January 9th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Me too Neddy I was 16
Looking at the West Ham team again there wasn't much resting players going on then was there
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 6:23 pm

worksop amber wrote:Me too Neddy I was 16
Looking at the West Ham team again there wasn't much resting players going on then was there

Kid. I was 21.

My best memory of that night was I went with a mate who had never seen a game before. Very late on we had this conversation as I gazed at the floor.

What's happened?

West Ham have f@cking equalized.

Bren, why are all the West Ham players surrounding the referee?

40 years, Jeez
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Postby Alan G Bryant » January 9th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Great memories of our youth for so many of us. It is also testament to the hard work of all club officials, directors and volunteers both past and present that have worked tirelessly to ensure the Newport kids of today will have similar memories in 2058.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » January 9th, 2019, 6:59 pm

Alan G Bryant wrote:Great memories of our youth for so many of us. It is also testament to the hard work of all club officials, directors and volunteers both past and present that have worked tirelessly to ensure the Newport kids of today will have similar memories in 2058.

For the ones who could afford to be there I'm sure the memories will be every bit as sweet.
no avatar
User

The Cat

Ponthir,Wales

Postby The Cat » January 9th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:Great memories of our youth for so many of us. It is also testament to the hard work of all club officials, directors and volunteers both past and present that have worked tirelessly to ensure the Newport kids of today will have similar memories in 2058.

For the ones who could afford to be there I'm sure the memories will be every bit as sweet.

I was there also as a 13 year old and I'm pretty certain they weren't giving tickets away back then. Unfortunately kids who come from deprived backgrounds miss out on many experiences which is a shame, but I don't think Newport County is to blame for this.
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » January 9th, 2019, 7:30 pm

The Cat wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I was there also as a 13 year old and I'm pretty certain they weren't giving tickets away back then. Unfortunately kids who come from deprived backgrounds miss out on many experiences which is a shame, but I don't think Newport County is to blame for this.

You can still get in as a 13 year old now. :wink:
no avatar
User

Bangitintrnet

Postby Bangitintrnet » January 9th, 2019, 7:35 pm

The Cat wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

While they probably didn't for the West Ham game, as a youngster I started attending by walking through the open gates at half time. Only later when I had a paper round did I see the start of the game!
no avatar
User

The Cat

Ponthir,Wales

Postby The Cat » January 9th, 2019, 7:35 pm

Ha, yes. All 13 year olds look like me.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » January 9th, 2019, 9:02 pm

I was there, aged 15, though I missed the winner.

Hot Rocks advertised in the programme? I’d forgotten that.
User

County Exile

Frome, Somerset

Postby County Exile » January 9th, 2019, 9:09 pm

My son's 40th birthday today. He was born in the Gwent at 3.00pm.

So glad it was an evening kick-off. :-)
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Postby Alan G Bryant » January 9th, 2019, 10:16 pm

A lot of empty seats at the Etihad stadium tonight. It is terribly sad that a big club like Man City with all their wealth are denying their Manchester youngsters the chance to see their heros, shameful.
no avatar
User

Micheal

Postby Micheal » January 9th, 2019, 10:22 pm

our record could b beaten tonight
Next