Re: Forty Years Ago Today

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:A lot of empty seats at the Etihad iistadium tonight. It is terribly sad that a big club like Man City with all their wealth are denying their Manchester youngsters the chance to see their heros, shameful.
I agree.
It seems I done Manchester City a disservice, thousands were actually unable to attend last evening because of an incident on the M6. I guess there are all types of reasons why people would buy a ticket to an event and then not be able to attend.

chepstowamber wrote:I was about 20, there was no segregation between us and West Ham fans at the Cromwell end and it was pay at the turnstiles.
Chris
I always thought you were in my class at school, but if you were about 20 then either I’m mistaken or you were very short for your age in 1970.

Alan G Bryant wrote:
It seems I done Manchester City a disservice, thousands were actually unable to attend last evening because of an incident on the M6. I guess there are all types of reasons why people would buy a ticket to an event and then not be able to attend.
I was listening to a caller to Fivelive yesterday - a Burton fan. She’d driven from London that afternoon, had got stuck on the M6 and would miss the game. BUT - her brother had driven down from Scotland and reached the Etihad in time for the game.

However his match ticket was with her, on the M6.

I was there and while it was a great day for the club sadly I recall that there was some crowd trouble. I can't remember if there was segregation at the game.

In the first few minutes - while stood on the bank near the right hand side of the Cromwell Road end - a chant of "West Ham, West Ham" went up behind us with 40 or 50 away fans ( mature fans shall we say - my grandad said they were probably dockers ) strolling over to the Cromwell Road end and simply walked into the back of the Cromwell. The young County fans scattered out and the police decided it was safer to let the West Ham fans stay there with a poilce cordon. Inexplicably about 5 minutes from the end the police decided to let the West Ham fans walk out - it kicked off outside and a neighbour of ours was hospitalised with razor blade slashes.

Special branch wrote:I was there and recall the uncharitable comments made about the pitch by Brooking. We lost to Colchester in the following round. Hereford and Worcester( a foggy replay) were our earlier opponents.
I think the comments were either in the West Ham programme for their game before the (scheduled) tie or in a London paper and went along the lines of...... 'The ground isn't quite the standard we are used to and you have to approach the corner kicks on coconut matting' which, of course was rubbish. There WAS no coconut matting on the approach to the corners.

It had all been used up replacing the grass in the centre circle!

My memory of the Colchester game was of Goddard - lethal striker as he was - missing an open goal at the Railway End.

County Exile wrote:melling's equaliser wrote:-
Trevor Brooking never played in the game and the West Ham fan who attended with me wasn't bothered as he said that Alan Devonshire was playing out of his skin.
Are you sure about that? I thought he gave the pass that set up pop Robson for his goal.
Yep. I hadn't seen much of Devonshire at the time and I was a little surprised. I also wouldn't say that anyone set Pop Robson up. I was on the bank toward the Cromwell End and he scored at the Railway End, but he must have picked the ball up about 35 yards out and he didn't travel very far before he hit it.

JonD wrote:
chepstowamber wrote:I was about 20, there was no segregation between us and West Ham fans at the Cromwell end and it was pay at the turnstiles.
Chris
I always thought you were in my class at school, but if you were about 20 then either I’m mistaken or you were very short for your age in 1970.
I was at Caldicot School, I left I'm 1976
Chris

County Exile wrote:melling's equaliser wrote:-
Trevor Brooking never played in the game and the West Ham fan who attended with me wasn't bothered as he said that Alan Devonshire was playing out of his skin.
Are you sure about that? I thought he gave the pass that set up pop Robson for his goal.
Brooking also had a disallowed goal late on. Though maybe it was disallowed because he wasn’t on the pitch :)