Bolton AND Southend

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

Corpaboy

Bolton AND Southend

Postby Corpaboy » January 9th, 2019, 10:05 pm

Both clubs been handed winding up orders apparently .
Very , very difficult times for any club not in the top flight .....
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Re: Bolton AND Southend

Postby lowandhard » January 9th, 2019, 10:12 pm

:shock: was my first reaction but if it’s about tax or is less than a couple of million , it usually gets paid at the last minute - unless it’s us! :cry:
User

newgroundrodney

Postby newgroundrodney » January 9th, 2019, 10:16 pm

It's very rare a club gets wound up while still in The League
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Postby Alan G Bryant » January 9th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Cannot possibly be true , they both have their own stadiums.
User

lowandhard

Peoples Republic of Malpas

Postby lowandhard » January 9th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Alan G Bryant wrote:Cannot possibly be true , they both have their own stadiums.

There is a serious point there somewhere. I have read some time ago that it costs about a minimum of half a million annually to maintain a stadium . I don’t know how accurate that figure is but supposing somebody gave us a stadium, could we afford to run it? And how much do we pay for rent? At least if we owned it we could maximise income from sales.
no avatar
User

Alan G Bryant

Postby Alan G Bryant » January 9th, 2019, 10:37 pm

lowandhard wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:Cannot possibly be true , they both have their own stadiums.

There is a serious point there somewhere. I have read some time ago that it costs about a minimum of half a million annually to maintain a stadium . I don’t know how accurate that figure is but supposing somebody gave us a stadium, could we afford to run it? And how much do we pay for rent? At least if we owned it we could maximise income from sales.

I agree , it might well be the case that the deal we have at RP is actually very good for us. It has after all facilitated the best period in our recent history
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Postby Fourthousand » January 10th, 2019, 12:00 am

Alan G Bryant wrote:
lowandhard wrote:

I agree , it might well be the case that the deal we have at RP is actually very good for us. It has after all facilitated the best period in our recent history

Walsall pay £450k per annum to rent their Stadium.. off their Chairman who also owns the lions share of the club but runs them as 2 seperate businesses, the rental monies go into his and his brother's personal pension ISA (allegedly as I have read it elsewhere and paraphrased it here)

To have our own stadium we would have to fork out loads of money that we dont have (don't really matter at this stage whether It's 6 or16 m as we haven't even got the pot to...) and then it doesn't come free to maintain/'man it' etc. We ain't going to be able to do this any time soon - time to get real.

When we are in a position to declare that we have a sustainable business then we can move onto the next stage of our development/progress ..and only then.We are not there yet - not by a long way.
User

JonD

Corridor of Uncertainty

Postby JonD » January 10th, 2019, 7:36 am

Southend have, I can see, but there are reports of Bolton receiving two but also denials from the club??
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » January 10th, 2019, 10:23 am

lowandhard wrote:

That's the good thing about renting, we don't have to pay any money towards maintaining the stadium.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » January 10th, 2019, 11:28 am

Marky wrote:
lowandhard wrote:

That's the good thing about renting, we don't have to pay any money towards maintaining the stadium.

Under our agreement with the WRU, we do. Hence our contribution of one third of the cost of the new pitch.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » January 10th, 2019, 11:31 am

lowandhard wrote:

Admittedly I hadn't even considered the cost of stadium maintenance, as I have dismissed that possibilty for us, but that cost must vary enormously from one stadium to another e.g Wembley compared to FGR's ground.
User

Marky

Mazeglaas

Postby Marky » January 10th, 2019, 11:34 am

Amberexile wrote:Under our agreement with the WRU, we do. Hence our contribution of one third of the cost of the new pitch.

We must have a really long-term lease then.
User

Amberexile

Sheffield

Postby Amberexile » January 10th, 2019, 11:36 am

Marky wrote:
Amberexile wrote:Under our agreement with the WRU, we do. Hence our contribution of one third of the cost of the new pitch.

It terminates 7th June 2023.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » January 10th, 2019, 11:49 am

Amberexile wrote:
Marky wrote:

It terminates 7th June 2023.

May or not be relevent, but as the WRU are currently in consultation with the regions about their funding for the future; with a wide spread belief/fear that the Dragons will not be receiving as much as the others, and may even be looking at a reduction to what they are receiving presently. This would suggest they will be wanting to continue with the lease.
no avatar
User

Fourthousand

Postby Fourthousand » January 10th, 2019, 12:12 pm

We must have a really long-term lease then.[/quote]

It terminates 7th June 2023.[/quote]

May or not be relevent, but as the WRU are currently in consultation with the regions about their funding for the future; with a wide spread belief/fear that the Dragons will not be receiving as much as the others, and may even be looking at a reduction to what they are receiving presently. This would suggest they will be wanting to continue with the lease.[/quote]

As a club I strongly believe we will get a chance to buy RP in the future as circumstances change in the Welsh Rugby game. We need to be in a position to take advantage of that in 3/4 years time - that means driving our revenue now so we can negotiate.
The Council - for now - deems RP to be for sporting activity - therefore potential buyers of RP would be limited to a few sporting organisations in Newport!! We need to have the money or part money if a share.
We don't want or need a benefactor because in the future they could sell up and out (boy have we seen it before). The Council may be forced /coercered into changing the status from 'sporting' use.

We Newport County (Business) as is constituitionally set up now need to get money in the coffers - how? grow revenue streams - more in than going out. REVENUE REVENUE REVENUE generation.
Next