Re: New Railway Station

Llanwern would be a very big punt because so few supporters could walk to games and the site would rely utterly on cars and public transport. It's OK if the team is thriving, but if we ever did slip back to the levels of football we played at Spytty, I fear gates would drop even further.

I'm not familiar with any of the relatively new northern grounds - Stoke, Bolton, Wigan etc - but are any as far out of town as Llanwern would be?

And there's the question of how far from the actual stadium a railway halt might be. The Madejski is at one end of a huge business park with the railway line at the other. Periodically there's talk of opening a station to serve the park and the stadium, but it would still be a major hike.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Llanwern would be a very big punt because so few supporters could walk to games and the site would rely utterly on cars and public transport. It's OK if the team is thriving, but if we ever did slip back to the levels of football we played at Spytty, I fear gates would drop even further.

I'm not familiar with any of the relatively new northern grounds - Stoke, Bolton, Wigan etc - but are any as far out of town as Llanwern would be?

And there's the question of how far from the actual stadium a railway halt might be. The Madejski is at one end of a huge business park with the railway line at the other. Periodically there's talk of opening a station to serve the park and the stadium, but it would still be a major hike.
I'm not sure about the other stadiums you mention, but Bolton's stadium is in a very big retail park. The whole place is thriving from that perspective. I'm guessing most new stadiums have hotels, retail and lot's of car parking,,busses etc . To just build a stadium on it's own seems to be a recipe for disaster.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:What I'm thinking is it wouldn't be academic if it was a different planning authority.
That never occured to me. But I think the idea is clutching at straws.
I'm very far from convinced it's a runner so it wouldn't be me clutching! :grin: Just that it could have influenced things.
Back in the 1970's consideration was given to Cwmbran stadium as a possible venue. Barnet built a new stadium out of Borough.

For me the big stumbling block has always been that Newport Council are only ever interested in County when things are going well.The Mayor and Corporation can lead County out on the field for our first Division 2 game in 1939. They can arrange a open topped bus for the Welsh Cup winners in 1980. They can give the freedom of the city after our Wembley triumph of 2013.

But seek practical help and our local authorities have other priorities on where to spend their money. And a Red iron girder called the wave is something every city of Newport's size needs. :(

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Where is the boundary between Newport and Monmouthshire in that direction? I believe Brighton's ground is actually in Lewes.
Academic I'm sure, but a question I can't answer. I also believe Grimsby actually play in Cleethorpes?

The brook is the boundary , I believe..Near to Tesco Magor

George Street-Bridge wrote:Llanwern would be a very big punt because so few supporters could walk to games and the site would rely utterly on cars and public transport. It's OK if the team is thriving, but if we ever did slip back to the levels of football we played at Spytty, I fear gates would drop even further.

I agree with the need for public transport. The article I referred to stated the plan was for a 1000 car park and ride next to the rail station. I thought that might tick the public transport box.