Re: Why dont they try helping the club ??

Willthiswork wrote:
They had a chance but they blew it.

They realise that now and try to humour us by saying they'll do up the Market or one of the Arcrades. Again.

They could have had their cake and ate it but now they clean up the crumbs and then give them away too.

We voted them in tho'.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
From what I've read that's lottery money doing up both

Willthiswork wrote:
If they had bought RP and marketed it as Britain's oldest in-use sports stadium they may have got lottery money too?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Deepdale is older. Lords also. Many others.
Isn't it the oldest in Wales?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Deepdale opened a year after RP. OK, happy with cricket reference. I'm wrong on that but sure that football and rugby there are none older.
Sorry to be a smart-arse here, Deepdale was opened two years before Rodney Parade in 1875. Preston North End didn't use the ground until 1878.
I've read that also, but am quite sure that it said RP was the second oldest.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:Deepdale opened a year after RP. OK, happy with cricket reference. I'm wrong on that but sure that football and rugby there are none older.
Sorry to be a smart-arse here, Deepdale was opened two years before Rodney Parade in 1875. Preston North End didn't use the ground until 1878.
I've read that also, but am quite sure that it said RP was the second oldest.
Rodney Parade is the second oldest ground being used inr League football today.

Willthiswork wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:I would love the council to help the club more .But financial assistance for building us a stadium ? In my opinion no chance. Lets not forget supporters of Newport County are a very small minority of the voting populace, and whilst I believe the council may have sympathy with our position I'm sure we are very low priority when it comes to spending money
I wonder how many visit the market or the arcades? I wonder how much income they bring in to the City?
For what it's worth I agree with you in that money would be better spent contributing to a sports stadium than the market and arcades. Just can't see it happening.

Amberexile wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Amberexile wrote:The problem being that there wasn't an option for the council to buy RP
They didn't throw their hat in the ring when the WRU did.
There was no opportunity to do so, the only option the owners have was to the WRU
If the Council had made an offer to the Shareholders it would have made Mr Hazell and Mr Brown reconsider the 'only offer' on the tabel from the WRU.

Amberexile wrote:The problem being that there wasn't an option for the council to buy RP

From my impression of the deal was the Wru bought the ground as an investment for the Dragons. So if it didn't work out they would be able to sell the Dragons off and make more money from the sale after throwing the ground in as a major bonus for who ever buys the Dragons in 2020. When they put them up for sale. Then who ever buys the Dragons will take them up North and would make a profit from the highest bidder for the ground. This is what Newport County should be planning for. I understand your local council built a new shopping centre with loans from the Welsh Government. And loaned the money to a Company that was just setup to build the shops in the City Centre with no money in the bank until Newport City Council gave them the money to start the work on the City Centre Shops. And from my understanding they didn't even charge the Company interest on the loan. So couldn't the Council do the same for Newport County. If not become partners with Newport County and Newport Rugby Club ready for when the ground is up for sale. There's quite a few intelligence people on this message board. You have Solicitors, Accounts, Builders, Businessmen, Ex-directors and a number of other people that could help. There's over 145,000 people living in the Newport area I know this would be a long shot, but maybe they could sell shares for ground to the people and give them some sort of discount on season tickets for both the Football and Rugby. Just think the only Football, Rugby or Sports Stadium owned by the people for the people in the Uk. They could even sell tickets for the right to name the stadium.
Last edited by The Newport on January 12th, 2019, 7:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.