Re: Exiles Grandstand Crewe

mike wilks wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:As usual , most fans were tugging themselves silly after we beat Leicester, and yet the same fans losing their head on us losing away to Crewe....... I love being a County fan
Absolutely......But should we keep expecting the worst? I love Newport County the same as most, but WTF????

No we shouldn't Mike, and I honestly don't know what we should be expecting, but, it's the 'win everything or be damned' brigade I can't get my head around.
I think I need to stay off this site and just enjoy watching my team play, I'm sure I'd be happier that way :lol:

Exile 1976 wrote:
mike wilks wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:As usual , most fans were tugging themselves silly after we beat Leicester, and yet the same fans losing their head on us losing away to Crewe....... I love being a County fan
Absolutely......But should we keep expecting the worst? I love Newport County the same as most, but WTF????

No we shouldn't Mike, and I honestly don't know what we should be expecting, but, it's the 'win everything or be damned' brigade I can't get my head around.
I think I need to stay off this site and just enjoy watching my team play, I'm sure I'd be happier that way :lol:
I appreciate your opinion buddy, but it hurts just the same, when we throw away a lead to concede defeat like today, however....and I wish I didn't have to say it.....but something isn't right???
With 5 minutes or so to go I like most were ecstatic, when conceding a penalty that was converted, thought OK we'll have to settle for that disapointingly, to then concede defeat I felt, sick....When you have shit happening, it becomes personal, and Newport County's result becomes even more important....I might seem a sad *******, but that's how much it means to me ........ :cry:

Amberexile wrote:We gave him the opportunity to be truly abject and he took it with both hands
He was terrible. Crewe seemed well coached in how to con him and he fell for it. Strangely though he did spark our revival when, unbelievably, he stopped play when Matt was running clear towards the goal, with no defender near. The ref had his back to this and was was oblivious of what happened after the foul. That seemed to anger the players and we then got stuck in. As for the penalty, given when the ball was sailing four feet over all the players in the box and out of play half way to the corner flag. Another thing he totally missed was a ball boy refusing to give the ball to Amond after our first goal. Could have been a tricky moment but Podge had the sense to walk away.

excessbee wrote:
Amberexile wrote:We gave him the opportunity to be truly abject and he took it with both hands
He was terrible. Crewe seemed well coached in how to con him and he fell for it. Strangely though he did spark our revival when, unbelievably, he stopped play when Matt was running clear towards the goal, with no defender near. The ref had his back to this and was was oblivious of what happened after the foul. That seemed to anger the players and we then got stuck in. As for the penalty, given when the ball was sailing four feet over all the players in the box and out of play half way to the corner flag. Another thing he totally missed was a ball boy refusing to give the ball to Amond after our first goal. Could have been a tricky moment but Podge had the sense to walk away.
I didn't think it could get worse after he booked Matt, there was no foul from Matt who was then manhandled while on the deck in the penalty box with the ball in play, it did.

The first half was disappointing as we sat back and defended. We seemed to be playing 4-4-2 with Willmott and Semenyo out wide. That system doesn't suit Forbes and Butler as they work far better as wing backs. We also failed to get any quick ball out to Willmott or Semenyo. We improved markedly when Bakinson came on as at last we had a central midfielder who was looking to go forward. Maybe it was a penalty, but if it was then the ref would have to award one virtually every time there's a corner. I felt we were robbed by the ref after a much improved second half display.

Come on Mike
These are the same players that were superb at the start of the season and against Leicester.
1 point from 18 is ridiculous.
Loose Saturday and who knows what will be said.
Terrible hoof ball tactics, backs to the wall needlessly and Robbie in midfield crazy.
Your 90 minutes of TV glory are gone now so please sort this nightmare out.
Appreciate you do not currently have a single decent midfielder to pick so we all know that's what you need.
Labs nobody came for him so why us.
Crofts Total crock couldn't believe a pay day this year
Dolan Too slow
Bennett Ditto
Robbie Never a midfielder
Cooper Why did we take him on loan
Bakinson Superb quality dragged down to the others level.
Sheehan What a disappointment but one ray of hope that he can turn the corner still.
Please Mike make the correct tactics Saturday and stop the rot.
we will not go down but can see us in bottom 6 unless things change

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Come on Mike
These are the same players that were superb at the start of the season and against Leicester.
1 point from 18 is ridiculous.
Loose Saturday and who knows what will be said.
Terrible hoof ball tactics, backs to the wall needlessly and Robbie in midfield crazy.
Your 90 minutes of TV glory are gone now so please sort this nightmare out.
Appreciate you do not currently have a single decent midfielder to pick so we all know that's what you need.
Labs nobody came for him so why us.
Crofts Total crock couldn't believe a pay day this year
Dolan Too slow
Bennett Ditto
Robbie Never a midfielder
Cooper Why did we take him on loan
Bakinson Superb quality dragged down to the others level.
Sheehan What a disappointment but one ray of hope that he can turn the corner still.
Please Mike make the correct tactics Saturday and stop the rot.
we will not go down but can see us in bottom 6 unless things change

You can't buy experience with money. I claim no great insight other than being an old man. And if anyone wants to trawl through my posts this is a point I've made for the last long while. I genuinely hope Mike Flynn can learn this valuable lesson.

It was not a mistake to take a chance on the long term injured Sheehan. Neither was it a mistake to take a chance on the long term injured Crofts. It wasn't an error to take a chance on the long term injured Labadie.

Taking a chance on two of them was a huge gamble very likely to backfire. Taking a chance on three was never going to work.

For me the only way out of this mess is for Flynn to give one simple instruction to every player he picks between now and the end of April. You press every situation, you chase down every ball, and at the end of every game you come off so knackered that you only want to go to bed to sleep for twelve hours solid. Do that and the crowd will get behind you, do that and we will survive with ease. Don't do that and you won't pick up another penny in appearance money.

Selecting the best formation to the players available needs to be paramount. Forbes and Butler are wing backs are therefore need to be employed in a 5-3-2 system. A back three of Franks Bennett and Micky D would be my preference, Franks can cover the right and Micky D the left Bennett in the centre as he reads the game better than most. A midfield Labadie Bakinson and Crofts would be ideal, with a front two of Podge and semenyo. Playing wing backs means Wilmott on the bench or not selected we need more than the occasional cross. sorry if I offend anyone. Matt, Sheehan,
O'Brien, Dolan, Vashy, and Harris, if we could get him would be my bench.

Need to add I failed as a manager wasn't much better as a player

ajs wrote:Selecting the best formation to the players available needs to be paramount. Forbes and Butler are wing backs are therefore need to be employed in a 5-3-2 system. A back three of Franks Bennett and Micky D would be my preference, Franks can cover the right and Micky D the left Bennett in the centre as he reads the game better than most. A midfield Labadie Bakinson and Crofts would be ideal, with a front two of Podge and semenyo. Playing wing backs means Wilmott on the bench or not selected we need more than the occasional cross. sorry if I offend anyone. Matt, Sheehan,
O'Brien, Dolan, Vashy, and Harris, if we could get him would be my bench.

Need to add I failed as a manager wasn't much better as a player
No need to apologise imho, sensible post and agree with most of it but can’t see that being a regular midfield unfortunately (much though I’d quite like it to be). It would give the young lad the experienced support that he needs. I fear we won’t get many games out of that midfield and we need to strengthen there and at cb though as we both know recruiting quality in those positions is far from an easy task.