Re: Our worst run under Flynn so far.....

Exile 1976 wrote:

I think it is, 1 point from 6 games is poor, yes, but in that time we've also beaten Premier League opposition in the 3rd round of the FA Cup earning us some much needed cash. Now, if we get to the point where we are seriously worried about relegation then Flynny's status should be questioned, but do I think we could do better than him? In my opinion , with the budget we have , no chance.
To prevent any misunderstanding I’m not calling for the manager’s head : despite that I’d be extremely disappointed if he wasn’t as alarmed as I am by the pathetic haul of one point from six games - which is obviously relegation form. He deserves the window and some of the cash earned to strengthen imho but let’s not pretend our recent results have not been dreadful.

newgroundrodney wrote:Currently, we're on track to finish:

12th on 64 pts
3 pts ahead of the team behind us
28 pts short of winning the division
17 pts short of automatic promotion
12 pts short of the play-offs
24 pts clear of relegation
29 pts clear of bottom place
Would be interested to know how you came about this deduction, because on current form you are way off the mark.

flat4 wrote:

12th on 64 pts
Would be interested to know how you came about this deduction, because on current form you are way off the mark.
By producing a table based on the number of points collected by each team per game.
Current form is not what final placings are determined by.
Admittedly past performance is no guide to the future but it can be fairly close.
Last season I think it was one place and two points out in the end.
We are not currently in a relegation battle though it does FEEL like...

Flynn can only do so much on the side lines but his timing of substitutions at crucial times in the games certainly have cost us points. Although the players are responsible as much as the manager for making rash decisions especially when seeing out games. Nine times out of ten these errors of misjudgement, not being pro active etc are becoming addictive throughout the team.
Yesterdays third goal conceded was like defending you see on a school yard utter garbage.
I know our midfield defensively have been dire but they rarely contribute to the goal scoring and at the moment we must have the most irresponsible and error strewn defence and midfield in the league, and with Notts County away looming I fear we might be found out by them and their current form is worse than ours if that is possible.
Must get a win from the next two games.

newgroundrodney wrote:
flat4 wrote:

12th on 64 pts
By producing a table based on the number of points collected by each team per game.
Current form is not what final placings are determined by.
Admittedly past performance is no guide to the future but it can be fairly close.
Last season I think it was one place and two points out in the end.
We are not currently in a relegation battle though it does FEEL like...
My only caveat is that an aeroplane that flies at 30,000 ft for two hours before beginning a downward plunge has been flying at an average of 29.000 just before the passengers and crew all die in twisted metal and burning aviation fuel. :grin:

I don't think we're quite there yet but if our season was a aeroplane flight I think the captain might be suggesting that we fasten our seat-belts.

Alan G Bryant wrote:I think in anywalk of life you keep learning . For me If we stay up , Flynn will never put faith in two highly paid injury prone midfielders again, not a criticism as we were in the main enthusiastic , but they have played no more than 8 games between them

Hopefully he addresses this in the next two weeks.,

signing a kid from West Ham and possibly Poole isnt the answer, especially as he didnt even play the loan guy yesterday :shock:
butler has been good this season but should have to earn his place back in the side after his suspension because Neufville had a decent game.,then dropped straight away :roll:

Exile1964 wrote:When we were 3rd in the table I wasn't getting carried away about promotion. I said all along that we would eventually hit a bad run of form, it was inevitable. We still have 20 games remaining and we will pick up enough points to stay up at least, because even the struggling clubs win some games so will we too.
Spot on.
Just got to love the way some are going on about this is relegation material, and that the Messiah is actually a very naughty boy who should be relieved of his job.

Would these be the same people who a few months ago were looking forward to the play offs and us playing in L1 next season, because if they think we can compete in L1 with our set up then they would be suicidal by November 2019.

Surviving in this league is about as good as it's ever going to get, along with the odd big Cup game to square the circle in as far as finances go. Some people have been a bit spoilt the last few seasons and need to prepare for when we go out of the FA Cup in R1 and then we will be in trouble

County-at-the-races wrote:
Exile1964 wrote:When we were 3rd in the table I wasn't getting carried away about promotion. I said all along that we would eventually hit a bad run of form, it was inevitable. We still have 20 games remaining and we will pick up enough points to stay up at least, because even the struggling clubs win some games so will we too.
Spot on.
Just got to love the way some are going on about this is relegation material, and that the Messiah is actually a very naughty boy who should be relieved of his job.

Would these be the same people who a few months ago were looking forward to the play offs and us playing in L1 next season, because if they think we can compete in L1 with our set up then they would be suicidal by November 2019.

Surviving in this league is about as good as it's ever going to get, along with the odd big Cup game to square the circle in as far as finances go. Some people have been a bit spoilt the last few seasons and need to prepare for when we go out of the FA Cup in R1 and then we will be in trouble
...........................................................................................................................................................................................
The time to start getting excited by the prospect of a play-off spot is 8 games from the end of the season. For me, we should take a longer term view, starting with being satisfied with staying in the league, followed by improving the previous season's position, then some nice unbeaten runs, some cup runs and generally working towards re-establishing County as a League club. That will take about another 9 yrs starting next august, so let's just settle in, and enjoy the good, moan about the bad, but first and foremost stay a League club.

newgroundrodney wrote:
Spot on.

...........................................................................................................................................................................................
The time to start getting excited by the prospect of a play-off spot is 8 games from the end of the season. For me, we should take a longer term view, starting with being satisfied with staying in the league, followed by improving the previous season's position, then some nice unbeaten runs, some cup runs and generally working towards re-establishing County as a League club. That will take about another 9 yrs starting next august, so let's just settle in, and enjoy the good, moan about the bad, but first and foremost stay a League club.
You’re correct about all of that of course but I still don’t get ( I’m probably just thick ) how you work out our predicted final position. It doesn’t seem to account for big swings in form because on current form we would pick up just over 3 points and be relegated. I say this because there is no guarantee that we will improve and we seem totally incapable of defending. How far back can you go to work out probable final points gained for example? I’d say current form is far more reliable than early season form to predict results in the near future but please explain if I’m missing something.

Spot on.

Two things. First of all has anyone on this board actually called for Flynn to be sacked?

Secondly if you believe that surviving in League 2 is as good as it's ever going to get then we might all as well give up and go home now.

Until we Newportonians start to believe in ourselves we are always going to underachieve. I genuinely believe that we can and should do so much better.