Re: My team for Saturday to stop the rot

neilcork68 wrote:Day

Franks, O'Brien, Bennett , Demetriou . Neufville

Pipe, Bakinson, Dolan, Butler

Amond

Subs ...Semenyo, Willmott , Sheehan, Matt, Marsh Brown,Forbes Hornby , Townsend

It wont be pretty , set up for a draw and hope we can nick one with a break away or set piece

Interbet have give me odds of 150 -1that this is the team because at least 3 of the subs will be picked by MF in his starting 11( guaranteed :wink: :lol: )
I'd give you more than 150-1 for that team :-) , 4 centre backs with Neufville thrown in for good measure, not sure what formation that is, you have a go at Flynn for playing players out of position and then you come up with that.

Can't argue with you that Franks and Demetriou are great individually but missing something together, we need to play Bennett in the back 3 to mop up, but very difficult to choose a midfield as we desperately need a new central midfielder, Dolan started the season well but his fitness has deteriorated and is now a shadow of that player, Bakinson also started the season well but was in a stable team that was getting results, since the players around him have lost form or moved elsewhere and the results dried up he himself has lost form completely, he needs help. Wilmott is not a central midfielder, and as we need to shore up the defence, we need a back 5 at the moment, so there is no room for him on the wing.

If nobody comes in, I'd go for:

Day
Forbes Franks Bennett Demetriou Butler
Dolan Bakinson
Sheehan
Semenyo Amond

Ugo. wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Day

Franks, O'Brien, Bennett , Demetriou . Neufville

Pipe, Bakinson, Dolan, Butler

Amond

Subs ...Semenyo, Willmott , Sheehan, Matt, Marsh Brown,Forbes Hornby , Townsend

It wont be pretty , set up for a draw and hope we can nick one with a break away or set piece

Interbet have give me odds of 150 -1that this is the team because at least 3 of the subs will be picked by MF in his starting 11( guaranteed :wink: :lol: )
I'd give you more than 150-1 for that team :-) , 4 centre backs with Neufville thrown in for good measure, not sure what formation that is, you have a go at Flynn for playing players out of position and then you come up with that.

Can't argue with you that Franks and Demetriou are great individually but missing something together, we need to play Bennett in the back 3 to mop up, but very difficult to choose a midfield as we desperately need a new central midfielder, Dolan started the season well but his fitness has deteriorated and is now a shadow of that player, Bakinson also started the season well but was in a stable team that was getting results, since the players around him have lost form or moved elsewhere and the results dried up he himself has lost form completely, he needs help. Wilmott is not a central midfielder, and as we need to shore up the defence, we need a back 5 at the moment, so there is no room for him on the wing.

If nobody comes in, I'd go for:

Day
Dolan Bakinson
Sheehan
Semenyo Amond

UGO.......research a bit before posting ...

Your having a go at me about saying one thing then posting another....

In my team there is only 1 player playing out of position and that is BUTLER..

Franks would be my right back because he has over his career played in that position and in fact I think he actually played as a right back for us earlier on in the season in one away game.
Pipe played most of his career as a right sided midfield player.
Bennett left Exeter because they were playing him in midfield and he wanted to play as a centre half as he sees that as his best position.
Many have posted on here that Butler may be better if pushed further forward because he is better offensively then defensively

So yes if that was the team selected I would take your 150-1 all day long.

A 5 - 3 - 2 formation . not with wingbacks just a flat back 5....Set up looking for a draw at the very least.

Yes we have good options on the bench and players who are on form ( Semenyo ) but we need to stop the rot , get a result of some sort and build up confidence in the side...
IMO bringing in 3 / 4 players like MF has said he would like to do in this window could do more harm than good..1 or two as long as they are experienced , better than we already have and ready to step straight into the starting 11 but not more promising youngsters like Neufville

Thanks for the advice about researching :roll:

They may have played as a goalkeeper in their career, it doesn't make them a goalkeeper.

The fact they have played those positions doesn't mean that we should play them out of their normal position, Pipe hasn't played as a midfielder regularly for many years and is at the age now where I wouldn't ask him to do it. As far as I know Franks has not played right back regularly at any point in his career.

I have no problem with Bennett playing there as he has played regularly in defence and midfield for us, and think the middle of a back 3 is his best position.

I must admit I have never see anyone play with a flat back 5 before without wing backs but I'm sure you can enlighten me with your extensive research.

A back 5 with wing backs as your team basically is, if you play Pipe and Butler in midfield, in my opinion would just invite Exeter on to us, we need to be more disciplined at the back whilst continuing to have the threat up front. We shouldn't be going for draws at home, we need to start winning again and see where that gets us.

But that's the thing about football, everyone sees it differently .

mad norm wrote:
lowandhard wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:Has MF said Labs and Crofts will miss Saturday?,we need one or both back to solve our midfield problems,how soon and how long they then stay fit is the big worry.
Here ‘tis
https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... alexandra/
"If the funds are available"!
Surely M.F. knows?
May i throw a radicle idea into the debate. Are we actually considering/negotiating a financial bid for a player? Or is that too rediculous?

Must reorganise midfield today against Exeter and get the mix right bringing in an injection of energy and pace mixed with a more physical approach.
On the left would play both Neufville and Butler either can play left back and left midfield.
I would like Poole to play a right defensive midfield role with Bakinson as the play maker.
Dolan and Willmott should not start.

somerton moss wrote:Must reorganise midfield today against Exeter and get the mix right bringing in an injection of energy and pace mixed with a more physical approach.
On the left would play both Neufville and Butler either can play left back and left midfield.
I would like Poole to play a right defensive midfield role with Bakinson as the play maker.
My take on team selection is what formation MF decides to start . A flat back 4, or 5 at the back with wing backs. Whilst accepting that butler has been one of our most consisted performers he is not so effective in a flat back 4. Then you have the issue of Matt and Amond being regular scorers, yet Semenyo is consistently getting good reviews. Can we play with 3 strikers, or do we use Semenyo as a left winger with Willmott on the right? in a 4-4-2 formation. Can we risk not starting without Matt because of the number of goals he scores, and are we skilful enough to get the ball to the front men without 'hoof ball' to him. Lots of questions from me , but answering them is what managers are paid good money for.
Personally I would start with the 4-2-3-1 formation as against Leicester with Poole on the bench ( if clearance is granted) to give options of changing to 5 at the back.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on January 19th, 2019, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
somerton moss wrote:Must reorganise midfield today against Exeter and get the mix right bringing in an injection of energy and pace mixed with a more physical approach.
My take on team selection is what formation MF decides to start . A flat back 4, or 5 at the back with wing backs. Whilst accepting that butler has been one of our most consisted performers he is not so effective in a flat back 4. Then you have the issue of Matt and Amond being regular scorers, yet Semenyo is consistently getting good reviews. Can we play with 3 strikers, or do we use Semenyo as a left winger with Willmott on the right? in a 4-4-2 formation. Can we risk not starting without Matt because of the number of goals he scores, and are we skilful enough to get the ball to the front men without 'hoof ball' to him. Lots of questions from me , but answering them is what managers are paid good money for.
Personally I would start with the 4-2-3-1 formation as against Leicester with Poole on the bench to give options of changing to 5 at the back.
Poole can play defensive midfielder, isn't that what we are missing?

I'd go with a 532 with wing backs:

Day
Dolan Poole Bakinson
Semenyo Amond

But Bennett and Poole may swap places.

Dolan ran the midfield down there earlier in the season but they did bypass midfield with more long balls than the Gilbert factory,