Re: When was the last time we were relegated?.....

rncfc wrote: then as it turned out if we had beaten Hastings at home on the last day we would've been reprieved but got totally dicked 0-3 (or is that 3-0?).
The season to end all shite seasons!
Think that last game we had to win with Merthyr needing to lose, and there was something like a 4 goal difference.
It was achievable, well at least our part of the equation was, and I seem to recall that Hastings made it look like they were trying to help us win, but due to the total ineptitude of that team, Hastings got bored waiting for us to score so just got on with winning.
On the plus side it saw the end of Chris Price and his flat cap, who it turned out afterwards, had lied during the interview about his qualifications to do the job.
Now was that the season we signed a few players from the midlands, and on one particular Saturday they decided they couldn't be bothered to drive down for the game!
And people moan about some of the current lot... if only you'd experienced that season!!!

County-at-the-races wrote:
rncfc wrote: then as it turned out if we had beaten Hastings at home on the last day we would've been reprieved but got totally dicked 0-3 (or is that 3-0?).
Think that last game we had to win with Merthyr needing to lose, and there was something like a 4 goal difference.
It was achievable, well at least our part of the equation was, and I seem to recall that Hastings made it look like they were trying to help us win, but due to the total ineptitude of that team, Hastings got bored waiting for us to score so just got on with winning.
On the plus side it saw the end of Chris Price and his flat cap, who it turned out afterwards, had lied during the interview about his qualifications to do the job.
Now was that the season we signed a few players from the midlands, and on one particular Saturday they decided they couldn't be bothered to drive down for the game!
And people moan about some of the current lot... if only you'd experienced that season!!!

If I remember correctly, they were bothered but got lost.

rncfc wrote:Bizarrely, I just Google searched Gary Pick after writing the previous post and came across this;
My god we have had some nutcases who are on speed dial with their local Police Forces :lol:

And not forgetting that was the season we played in the FA Trophy against St Leonards (literally and I mean literally next door to Hastings), when the fog descended and you couldn't see the centre circle for the fog, yet the game continued and the only goal scored by St Leonards was only seen by our goalkeeper and whoever scored for them!
I can only presume Price told the ref to see the game out as he didn't want to have to go back there another day and try again.
Price was so unlucky that even when he went off to Australia to live he nearly drowned in a puddle or something.

I was at that Hastings match and they were in theory the easiest opposition we could ask for. They were the lowest placed team that was actually safe from the drop, had nothing to play for and were practically on the beach. The fact we were rolled over showed we deserved to go down.
When you look back it seems like a totally different club to the one we have now. For anyone who thinks we are badly run now, you'd have gone mental back then. Perhaps that's why I smile when someone says " that's the worst ever performance" etc after a defeat in league 2. Try the 6th tier, you'd never moan again about league 2'

County-at-the-races wrote: And not forgetting that was the season we played in the FA Trophy against St Leonards (literally and I mean literally next door to Hastings)
Yes, the St Leonards ground was uphill and you could probably have kicked a ball from the one to the other. I went to the league game at Hastiings - a 2-2 draw, I remember a couple of our Midlanders arriving quite late - and you could hear the ref's whistle and the PA from further up the hill.

The gate for Hastings at Spytty was one of the season's biggest at 805, but the team couldn't be @rsed.

County-at-the-races wrote:
I seem to remember Darren Evans & Ian Brown being sacked mid-season. The reason wasn’t given IIRC. This must have been it.