Why they play when they do

Every time I read in the Argus that the mickey mouse Dragons are playing at Rodney Parade KO 8pm on the Friday night whatever the weather the evening before County's home game on the Saturday I wonder just what is the reason its always on a Friday and a late kickoff at 8pm I ask who pays the ground staff for the hours worked to change the posts,replace divots on the pitch, and reline the markings and any other settings and I would guess that the reason for such daft arrangements is to make things as difficult for the County with the intention of driving the club out of Rodney Parade --- or can any body explain such stupid arrrangements
Bob Bassett

Re: Why they play when they do

Amberexile wrote:We have primacy of fixture therefore if we so wished, we could play on the Friday night and make the Dragons play on the Saturday. We choose not to do so.
As was said previously it has only happened once this year. The football League fixtures were decided first, followed by the rugby Pro 14 fixtures, whereby the dragons expressed a preference for Saturday home fixtures, which was duly achieved on those weekends when the County were playing away. Yesterday's dragons match was a European cup game whereby the European union had an influence on when the fixture would by played. As the dragons will not be involved in any further European matches, this shouldn't re-occur. Newport rfc are at the back of the queue when it comes to arranging fixture dates and have played most of their home games on Sundays, even having to play 'at home' at the Arms park 2 weeks ago. Overall I believe given the complexities of arranging fixtures for 3 teams as good a job as possible has been achieved this season. Thankfully the new pitch has held up well to date. Hopefully it will be of an 'acceptable' standard this afternoon. I'm sure the grounds people will have a busy day however.

Amberexile wrote:
ghosty wrote:Just as football is told when & what time to play by television, so is rugby.
Which channel was the rugby on last night?
Don't believe it was. But the principles of spreading rugby and football programmes over the weekend to various times on Fri, Sat , Sun and sometimes Mondays has come about primarily because of TV has it not?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
ghosty wrote:Just as football is told when & what time to play by television, so is rugby.
Don't believe it was. But the principles of spreading rugby and football programmes over the weekend to various times on Fri, Sat , Sun and sometimes Mondays has come about primarily because of TV has it not?
At the highest level, primarily yes, but for us it is about availability of the pitch and our primacy of fixture pushing around the rugby fixtures on the odd occasion it is needed.

Amberexile wrote:
Not sure what channel it was on as I was at the match, but they had the camera on the crane behind the goal, multiple tv vehicles and the interview lights and advertising 'backboard' by the players tunnel, also strangely the ground level hand held camera was not wireless but cable with 2 assistants. Because they were playing a top French side (although their reserves) I suppose it was French TV

ghosty wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Not sure what channel it was on as I was at the match, but they had the camera on the crane behind the goal, multiple tv vehicles and the interview lights and advertising 'backboard' by the players tunnel, also strangely the ground level hand held camera was not wireless but cable with 2 assistants. Because they were playing a top French side (although their reserves) I suppose it was French TV
You are probably correct. Friday evening rugby is very popular in France.The European cup games are usually spread over six time slots due to the TV audiences with English, Welsh, Irish and French.TV companies involved, Anyhow as I said previously, credit where it is due I believe the fixtures for the 3 teams playing at RP has been allocated as best as could be expected.

ghosty wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Damn, I didn't think to look at French TV when I couldn't find it on one of the expected channels. That's a good tip for next time, thanks.

Justanordinaryfan wrote:Think we can use a 48hr pitch ban ... again we chose not to. Personally I think that the fixture arrangements are a lot better than they used to be prior to the WRU ownership?

Newport RFC and their supporters would probably disagree!!
Agree with all of that. Unfortunately the last in any pecking order tend to end up with the leftovers.