Re: GRANDSTAND: Exeter

Caerleon Exile wrote:We simply looked solid today. Much better without Franks in the side, sorry. Poole just looks superb. So glad we have him back as he will be instrumental in our push for playoffs.
Aside from the stupid penalty he gave away last weekend , I reckon Franks has been one of our most consistent and best players this season ?

The formation made the difference today , not Franks being left out . And the fact that Exeter had **** all in front of goal

Corpaboy wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Matt was excellent, everything stuck to him and he laid off quite a few.
Bennett broke up so many attacks and kept the ball ticking over and the back three were barely troubled by a toothless Exeter attack.
Joe Day called into action just once, making a great save.

Exeter fans won the singing contest though. I thought they were the best fans we’ve had at Rodders this season and the Amber Army were quiet.
Probably because they're the first team to have brought any real numbers to RP this season apart from Leicester ??!!

No. It’s not just about numbers. Ebbsfleet brought about 15 fans and you could hear them sing and chant all night long. Leicester brought more but were quieter.

Corpaboy wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote:We simply looked solid today. Much better without Franks in the side, sorry. Poole just looks superb. So glad we have him back as he will be instrumental in our push for playoffs.
Aside from the stupid penalty he gave away last weekend , I reckon Franks has been one of our most consistent and best players this season ?

The formation made the difference today , not Franks being left out . And the fact that Exeter had **** all in front of goal
We have Preston N.E. to thank for signing Jaydon Stockley, their main threat this season.

neilcork68 wrote:
Loyalfoot wrote:Great to see all the mood Hoover's are tucked away tonight

You really are an ODIOUS little man aren't you. I bet your mums proud of you :roll:

I bet you cheered when bambi's mum got killed in the film , didn't you ?
Bambi's Mam is dead ??? NOOOOO !!!! :cry:

Well, the plan of no substitions has a lot to do with the starting eleven managing to get through ninety minutes without hobbling off injured. Hats off to Bennett and O'Brien in that department. I'm not sure that there were any changes that could have been made to improve the plan. However, after scoring, it was good to see us keep the pressure on as Exeter were wilting.

Cornish Exile wrote:Just read Exeter's manager's comments on the game.

He blamed the state of the pitch for preventing them play their free flowing game.

I'm sure they haven't played a free flowing game since Paul Tidsdale left.
I thought that Exeter were quite fragile, physically, and couldn't withstand our style. They have relied so heavily on Stockley and maybe the manager is trying to find an excuse for their inability to play without him. Exeter couldn't string three passes together and they seemed to be operating individually for much of the the game. Eventually they just resorted to complaining to the referee which had little effect.

Really comfortable today. Bakinson was back to his best and we looked much more energetic without Dolan in the middle. Not sure why the Exeter manager would complain about the pitch, as it played fine. A performance and energy like that next week may just pull off another shock.

I thought the first half was very even, and both sides looked nervy. Whoever scored first was going to win, but fair play - we came out brightly in the second half, and took the game by the scruff of the neck. The wing-backs played ever so well and gave us that bit of quality that made the difference. Once we scored, Exeter were stretched and we managed the game superbly then to get all three points. Not sure there’s much more to say than that, except well done to the boys for a very professional performamce.

Whilst the game wasn't a classic, I felt the side was set out well, and I thought Bennett was excellent in midfield today, alongside Bakinson! Overall we deserved the three points, and hopefully Leaguewise we've got "the monkey off our backs"......Well played Lads
.....COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT :bounce: