Re: GRANDSTAND: Exeter

mike wilks wrote:Whilst the game wasn't a classic, I felt the side was set out well, and I thought Bennett was excellent in midfield today, alongside Bakinson! Overall we deserved the three points, and hopefully Leaguewise we've got "the monkey off our backs"......Well played Lads
.....COME ON 'U MIGHTY PORT :bounce:
That is good to hear. We need points at the moment in whatever way we can get them. If they are deserved, then it makes it all the more sweeter.

Cornish Exile wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:
Caerleon Exile wrote:We simply looked solid today. Much better without Franks in the side, sorry. Poole just looks superb. So glad we have him back as he will be instrumental in our push for playoffs.
Aside from the stupid penalty he gave away last weekend , I reckon Franks has been one of our most consistent and best players this season ?

The formation made the difference today , not Franks being left out . And the fact that Exeter had **** all in front of goal
We have Preston N.E. to thank for signing Jaydon Stockley, their main threat this season.
Don't..... please... he did some damage to us at Loftus Rd today, coupled with a solid performance from Andrew Hughes, P N E turned us over, with style, panache and applomb!....ba****ds!!

What a team performance every player made a great contribution to a hard fought deserved 1-0 victory against a well organised but ordinary Exeter team.
Our defence were well drilled and led by captain O'Brien the defence had a defiance about them. "They shall not pass" must have been their mantra. Great debut by Poole who looks if he has been working out with Pipey and he will only get better. Butler and Demetriou were immense brave and strong.
The midfield what a transformation everything clicked Bennett was like a man possessed chased and chased, won the midfield battles and set a great example for Bakinson who looked more like a Pogba type player he was getting the tackles in and doing the ugly stuff so well which has not been happening. Willmott has had his critics including me at times but kept running and chasing, causing problems and putting in dangerous crosses. I just wish he would take on their left back more often and get passed him getting into more dangerous areas then putting in a cross or running into the box. Just being picky !
Seymenyo again showed a great maturity and played with a desire to score and assist he did neither but it was not for the lack of trying. Matt was superb probably his best game for us he was involved in everything that was good offensively and came back to defend regularly making vital headers. Amond great advert for any youngsters watching gives 100 % and more every game Matt and Amond great combination and forming a partnership as good as anything in the league.
Flynny and co great week of training and team talks which made us look like a play off team again and hard to beat. Great effort made by All !
Last edited by somerton moss on January 20th, 2019, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

somerton moss wrote:What a team performance every player made a great contribution to a hard fought deserved 1-0 victory against a well organised but ordinary Exeter team.
Our defence were well drilled and led by captain O'Brien the defence had a defiance about them though shall not pass must have been their mantra. Great debut by Poole who looks if he has been working out with Pipey and he will only get better. Butler and Demetriou were immense brave and strong.
The midfield what a transformation everything clicked Bennett was like a man possessed chased and chased, won the midfield battles and set a great example for Bakinson who looked more like a Pogba type player he was getting the tackles in and doing the ugly stuff so well which has not been happening. Willmott has had his critics including me at times but kept running and chasing, causing problems and putting in dangerous crosses. I just wish he would take on their left back more often and get pass him getting into more dangerous areas then putting in a cross or running into the box. Just being picky !
Seymenyo again showed a great maturity and played with a desire to score and assist he did neither but it was not for the lack of trying. Matt was superb probably his best game for us he was involved in everything that was good offensively and came back to defend regularly making vital headers. Amond great advert for any youngsters watching gives 100 % and more every game Matt and Amond great combination and forming a partnership as good as anything in the league.
Flynny and co great week of training and team talks which made us look like a play off team again and hard to beat. Great effort made by All !
Good summary. Believe the fact we never used a substitition was significant also. The whole team looked fit and strong today, including Matt who often tires towards the end of the game. With the game so finely balanced for such a long time it was probably wise not to make any changes anyway. With possibly up to four players returning from injury for next Saturday, team selection will be interesting.

A small squad and not making too many subs worked a treat for Accrington last season.

"The stats for Stanley’s second half of the season are remarkable, not just the results but also the personnel used.

P23 W18 D2 L3 Pts56

4 players started 23 games.
4 started 22 games.
1 started 20 games - signed in window.
1 started 19 games.
1 started 15 games - signed in window.
The guys signed in the Jan window were pretty much everpresents.

So that’s 11 guys starting 92.4% of the 23 games, 234 starts out of 253.

During these 23 games:

23 players were used in total, of which 6 made 1 appearance only and 4 less than 5 appearances.
23 subs were made, of which 12 were made after the 84th minute. So an average of 1 sub per game compared to us last season at average of 2.6.
No subs were made in 7 games.

Incredible job by Coleman, squad and staff."

Enjoyed the game, especially the second half.
Thought Exeter were quality especially in defence.
Evenly matched but great to see us keep attacking until the final whistle.
A great 3 points to stop the rot.

Joe 7 One great save
Regan 6 Started a little iffy but improved will do better
O Brien 7 Got stuck in for sure
Micky 8 Immense as always
Dan 8 Another 90 minute effort
Bennett 8 Best game at home this season for him
Bakinson 7 Certainly on the way back
Robbie 7 Great assist plus lots of good crosses
Matt 7 Never stopped all 90 minutes
Padraig 7 Ditto
Semenyo 7 Handful again

Great no need for subs

Splendid 2nd performance for the Ref at RP this season.

Lets the game flow and no cards

countyareup wrote:A cheery thought. If we win all our games 1-0, until the end of the season, we will be promoted. And the cup games, as well, we'll win the FA Cup..!

If 3,000 Newport County fans Donate £2.00 a week for 52 weeks they would have Donated an extra £312,000 a year towards the players Budget.

The Newport wrote:
countyareup wrote:A cheery thought. If we win all our games 1-0, until the end of the season, we will be promoted. And the cup games, as well, we'll win the FA Cup..!

If 3,000 Newport County fans Donate £2.00 a week for 52 weeks they would have Donated an extra £312,000 a year towards the players Budget.
A rather bizarre quote for this thread. It reminds me of 'If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs. If only we had some eggs!"

The Newport wrote:

You make a good point in my view, and one that I've highlighted on many occasions. Actually, since lots of our fans will be kids, students & pensioners (ie, people on pensions) I think our realistic number of what I would describe as "financially active, willing & able" fans is more like 1000.
If 1000 people bought the club a pint / a coffee once a week, at £3.45 a time (say-for example) they'd donate £15 a month.
Also, when looking at Trust Member numbers & average gates, it strikes me we have around 500-600 people coming to games who are not Trust Members. If we can enrol these at a fiver a month, 550 x £5 x12 = £33,000...added to the £180,000 raised by "buying the club a pint/coffee", we'd raise something like an extra £200k a year.... bearing in mind some will already be donating at the entry level anyway.

Good Afternoon

Whilst continuing the conversation, appreciate its getting away from the Grandstand thread, but until it deteriorates into a slanging match hopefully that will be forgiven!

Unfortunately assessing people’s will to pay money for football is not an absolute science, despite NGR’s amazing array of statistical evidence. I suspect a large number of people who pay regularly to attend football will not consider paying “extra “ just so the football actually exists. It’s a case of paying on the day for the product being offered and in reality nothing wrong with that approach.
That is what I apply to any other entertainment offering eg cinema, theatre or opera ( ok forget opera!)
I don’t pay extra to the cinema between visits. Football is different in that for a lot of people it’s a passion beyond mere entertainment. These are the ones who generally will pay that extra bit.
Admittedly I joined the trust for selfish reasons, to get ticketing priority and at a tenner a year it was totally affordable and all four of us did so, despite only likely to attend 2/3 home games a season.
The increase to £60 a year (x4) did give rise to considerably more thought. I already subscribe to the County Lottery and I-follow.
In the end to ease the financial commitment we have abandoned plans to attend the Middlesborough game , fuel, tickets, hotel and food would have added up to a fair bit so that sacrifice will balance the “football account” to fund the trust payment.
I am in a position that I can afford to do it, many others are not, also regular attendees at home games are paying out more over a season than myself.
Each person will have their own line where the cost of attending football becomes a problem. It is impossible to generalise a pricing policy to catch all.
However one thing above all else will move that line a little higher, good and successful performances on the pitch, creating a great entertainment atmosphere, that’s what will bring folk in on a regular basis!

Phil in Northampton

I wouldn't discount opera in our thinking as I believe it gives a better steer than cinema in this case.

That said, another factor the Trust are wrangling with is the preference for a hybrid model recently voted for. In order to make that attractive to partners in the Summer, they must increase the revenue from Trust members this season.

Amberexile wrote:I wouldn't discount opera in our thinking as I believe it gives a better steer than cinema in this case.

That said, another factor the Trust are wrangling with is the preference for a hybrid model recently voted for. In order to make that attractive to partners in the Summer, they must increase the revenue from Trust members this season.
But if it was opera it would get lottery funding

penycwm county wrote:
Amberexile wrote:I wouldn't discount opera in our thinking as I believe it gives a better steer than cinema in this case.

But if it was opera it would get lottery funding
Like we get EFL funding.