Re: When was the last time

Willthiswork wrote:
Corpaboy wrote:Probably the last time Stan attended a game ?
When were subs introduced... ;)
When Stan said he'd be at a game , then didn't turn up !!
He decided to stay at home today and look down on everyone , whilst drowning in his own fluids .

(I'm sure he'll come up with some intelligent sounding version of "fluids" that will make us far more inferior to him ....)

Willthiswork wrote:
Even before my first game, from memory about 1966/67 in the League. I certainly recall no sub's were allowed in the 1966 World Cup.

It was not unusual for teams to play the full 90 minutes when only one sub was allowed. Probably because once used if you did get an injury you were down to 10 men.

In the age of multiple substitution I can't remember ever a team not using at least one sub. Bit like you or Corpoboy saying something insightful or funny, I can't say for certain it's never happened, just I can't ever recall it happening. 8)

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:
Even before my first game, from memory about 1966/67 in the League. I certainly recall no sub's were allowed in the 1966 World Cup.

It was not unusual for teams to play the full 90 minutes when only one sub was allowed. Probably because once used if you did get an injury you were down to 10 men.

In the age of multiple substitution I can't remember ever a team not using at least one sub. Bit like you or Corpoboy saying something insightful or funny, I can't say for certain it's never happened, just I can't ever recall it happening. 8)
Substitutions during matches in the English Football League were first permitted in the 1965–66 season. During the first two seasons after the law was introduced, each side was permitted only one substitution during a game.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Substitutions during matches in the English Football League were first permitted in the 1965–66 season. During the first two seasons after the law was introduced, each side was permitted only one substitution during a game.
I am sure you are correct about the year of introduction. From memory I think that you are right about the first two years only one substitute being allowed but that was the case until the 1980's. What to my recollection changed after two years was that sub's were allowed for tactical reasons, for the first two years they were only allowed for injury replacements. This was of course impossible to govern, hence the change.

As I say this is all from my more than fallible memory.