A Sombre Longer Day?

This could be the key battle on Saturday: Assombalonga-Day.

There's an interesting prehistory to this contest which I can't resist telling.

On New Years Day 2012 I went to watch Wingate and Finchley being walloped by Wealdstone in the Isthmian League Premier at Summers Lane. Britt Assombalonga, a Watford loanee, scored what to me was the finest individual goal I've seen in recent times, Maradonaesque, cutting in from the right wing leaving a trail of defensive devastation before cracking the ball in the net. A few weeks later County drew Wealdstone in the FA Trophy and I feared for our defence.

However, mercifully, Britt was recalled by Watford at the end of January and in early February was re sent out on loan to Braintree Town in our Conference League. Respite was short-lived, as we entertained Braintree at Spytty in a league fixture on 6th March. Braintree ran out 4-3 winners with Assombalonga scoring twice (details below).

Subsequently we beat Wealdstone over two legs and progressed to our first ever Wembley final. I honestly believe it could have been a very different story had the loan period not run out in time. Success like failure is based on such fine margins. No disrespect to Glyn Thompson.

https://www.skysports.com/football/newp ... ams/256317

We've come a long way since 2012. Lets hope lady luck shines upon us again this time round with a little help from Joe.