Paul Scholes

Newport County natter & football chatter.
no avatar
User

rugged

Paul Scholes

Postby rugged » February 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Paul Scholes Oldham manager.
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Re: Paul Scholes

Postby Kairdiff Exile » February 11th, 2019, 2:56 pm

That'll be a massive conflict of interest if Salford City are in Div 4 with Oldham next season. Will the FA and Football League take any action if that happens? Don't hold your breath.
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » February 11th, 2019, 3:59 pm

The EFL have already looked into it. From the BBC:

The ex-England midfielder owns a 10% stake in National League club Salford City along with five former Manchester United team-mates.

However, a holding of 10% or less in a club is disregarded providing it is held "purely for investment purposes".

So, they gauge no conflict.

Anyway, experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Postby Kairdiff Exile » February 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

NearlyDead wrote:experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.

:lol:

I'm astonished that it's not seen as a conflict. Imagine if it went into the final game of the season, Oldham were safely mid-table and were playing at Salford who only needed a point for survival. Does anyone really think Scholes would send his strongest side out to give 100% in that scenario? The potential for 'gaming' the outcome - or even the appearance of gaming the outcome - would be significant.
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » February 11th, 2019, 4:12 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
NearlyDead wrote:experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.

:lol:

I'm astonished that it's not seen as a conflict. Imagine if it went into the final game of the season, Oldham were safely mid-table and were playing at Salford who only needed a point for survival. Does anyone really think Scholes would send his strongest side out to give 100% in that scenario? The potential for 'gaming' the outcome - or even the appearance of gaming the outcome - would be significant.

Wow. So lovely for me to be able to agree with someone, anyone!!!!!

Of course it's a massive conflict of interest. But then again everyone always went easy on Scholes. Every time the nasty little thug kicked someone all we ever heard was, Scholes just can't tackle.
User

Kairdiff Exile

Our proud capital...

Postby Kairdiff Exile » February 11th, 2019, 4:13 pm

Being agreed with by Stan is like admiring a nun - it's okay as long as you don't get into the habit.
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Postby mad norm » February 11th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Being agreed with by Stan is like admiring a nun - it's okay as long as you don't get into the habit.

:grin:
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » February 11th, 2019, 4:17 pm

I don't see a problem with 10%, but I suppose there is an argument that he might have influence over his mates who together hold 50% in the club (IIRC). But then, how much influence do the gang of 5 (or is it 6 now) have on day-to-day running of Salford FC? Maybe nothing. One hopes the EFL/FA have taken everything into consideration.
no avatar
User

OLDCROMWELLIAN

TrefGruffydd

Postby OLDCROMWELLIAN » February 11th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Being agreed with by Stan is like admiring a nun - it's okay as long as you don't get into the habit.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Love it
no avatar
User

Stan A. Einstein

Postby Stan A. Einstein » February 11th, 2019, 4:19 pm

You'd be surprised at how many PM's I've had down the years from people who ended up agreeing with me.

I it usually happens when people are personally effected. If you don't get a ticket at about 5-30 on Saturday you'll begin to see what I mean.

Trust me.
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » February 11th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I can see it ending in tears. When Oldham were on TV for an earlier round of the cup, the commentator said none of their last seven substantive managers had lasted a year in the job.
no avatar
User

Justanordinaryfan

Postby Justanordinaryfan » February 12th, 2019, 9:44 am

Think the confirmation to appoint Scholes was delayed a week or 2 whilst all this “confliction” was looked into.
no avatar
User

NearlyDead

Postby NearlyDead » March 14th, 2019, 6:37 pm

NearlyDead wrote:The EFL have already looked into it. From the BBC:

The ex-England midfielder owns a 10% stake in National League club Salford City along with five former Manchester United team-mates.

However, a holding of 10% or less in a club is disregarded providing it is held "purely for investment purposes".

So, they gauge no conflict.

Anyway, experience in the recent past with Oldham and their managers means he's not likely to be there come next season.

Prophetic or what? :shock:
User

County-at-the-races

Somerset

Postby County-at-the-races » March 14th, 2019, 8:13 pm

George Street-Bridge wrote:I can see it ending in tears. When Oldham were on TV for an earlier round of the cup, the commentator said none of their last seven substantive managers had lasted a year in the job.

I bet even you didn't think it would last less than 40 days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

George Street-Bridge

Postby George Street-Bridge » March 14th, 2019, 8:15 pm

I only wrote his programme profile yesterday! Thought he'd at least get to the end of the season.
Next