Re: Tickets available at inflated prices

Kairdiff Exile wrote:ANOTHER WAY OF LOOKING AT THINGS

I was musing on the rhetoric about "plastics" earlier whilst having my morning swim and was struck by something. The spa where I go for my swim is a pretty smart place - I joined purely out of convenience because it's located by my office, but many people go there on Fridays and Saturdays for Hen Parties or Spa Weekends. Now, those people tend to rather get on the nerves of us normal members - they hog the jacuzzi, get in the way of people swimming lengths in the pool, and won't shower between using the steam room and other facilities. To be honest, I often won't bother going at all on Fridays because it's just too much faff.

But here's the thing. Annoying though that is, I accept the fact that their money is as good as mine, and one of the reasons my membership fee is affordable is because it's basically subsidised by wealthy people paying silly money for their spa breaks. The place could probably just about keep going with members alone, but their profit basically comes from the people who only come occasionally but pay through the nose to do so.

You can see where I'm going with this, can't you?

That's basically why I can't bring myself to share Neil's anger about "plastics" getting tickets for the Man City game. I've said elsewhere why I don't recognise that term, but those who do use it must accept simple facts. Newport County AFC run at a loss in a 'normal' season. The one way we've made a profit in recent years and become half-sustainable is through cup runs where we can sell many more tickets and do so at inflated prices. The people who buy those tickets are, if you like, subsidising the football club so that you and I have someone to watch week-in week-out against the likes of Crawley and Macclesfield.

Just like the Hen Parties at my local health spa, you don't have to like them - but you can't pretend that they aren't needed if you want to continue to enjoy your hobby at an affordable price.

That is a great analogy, unfortunately you will never reason or win with a couple on here as their hobby is abusing County officials and criticising the club at any opportunity.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:ANOTHER WAY OF LOOKING AT THINGS

I was musing on the rhetoric about "plastics" earlier whilst having my morning swim and was struck by something. The spa where I go for my swim is a pretty smart place - I joined purely out of convenience because it's located by my office, but many people go there on Fridays and Saturdays for Hen Parties or Spa Weekends. Now, those people tend to rather get on the nerves of us normal members - they hog the jacuzzi, get in the way of people swimming lengths in the pool, and won't shower between using the steam room and other facilities. To be honest, I often won't bother going at all on Fridays because it's just too much faff.

But here's the thing. Annoying though that is, I accept the fact that their money is as good as mine, and one of the reasons my membership fee is affordable is because it's basically subsidised by wealthy people paying silly money for their spa breaks. The place could probably just about keep going with members alone, but their profit basically comes from the people who only come occasionally but pay through the nose to do so.

You can see where I'm going with this, can't you?

That's basically why I can't bring myself to share Neil's anger about "plastics" getting tickets for the Man City game. I've said elsewhere why I don't recognise that term, but those who do use it must accept simple facts. Newport County AFC run at a loss in a 'normal' season. The one way we've made a profit in recent years and become half-sustainable is through cup runs where we can sell many more tickets and do so at inflated prices. The people who buy those tickets are, if you like, subsidising the football club so that you and I have someone to watch week-in week-out against the likes of Crawley and Macclesfield.

Just like the Hen Parties at my local health spa, you don't have to like them - but you can't pretend that they aren't needed if you want to continue to enjoy your hobby at an affordable price.
A bit like Wetherspoons

Similarly at golf clubs the members have to put up with visitors coming to play their course as those green fees help the costs for members to remain affordable. I guess the difference is that as a golf club member if the course is full of visitors on a Saturday then I can choose to go and play Sunday instead. Unfortunately Man City are only here once (until we reach the premier league) so I wouldn’t have the option to just go another time as my golf club would have turned from Man City to Grimsby Town.