Re: GRANDSTAND: EXILES v MANCHESTER CITY FA CUP 5TH ROUND

We had a real go at Spurs first half last year but even them,with world class players like Kane,Eriksen,Son etc,are a step below Man C.If we had attacked like that,we would have been torn apart.We had to keep our shape and not be dragged out of position,which we did for long periods.The trouble is,this team is a goal machine and sooner or later you will get opened up.Chelsea lost 6-0,Burnley 5-0 and Cardiff 0-5.we scored,no one else has in the Cup so far.Their starting eleven cost £323M,ours cost about £50K.My only disappointment was conceding two right at the end,2-1 would have been brilliant.

Percy plunkett wrote:We had a real go at Spurs first half last year but even them,with world class players like Kane,Eriksen,Son etc,are a step below Man C.If we had attacked like that,we would have been torn apart.We had to keep our shape and not be dragged out of position,which we did for long periods.The trouble is,this team is a goal machine and sooner or later you will get opened up.Chelsea lost 6-0,Burnley 5-0 and Cardiff 0-5.we scored,no one else has in the Cup so far.Their starting eleven cost £323M,ours cost about £50K.My only disappointment was conceding two right at the end,2-1 would have been brilliant.
I accept that opinion, and recognise our main focus, was as you said, to keep a more fixed shape than against Spurs, and i believe Leicester and Middlesbrough, and therefore not press so aggresively. My opinion, though was we should have done so at least initially, as we had nothing to lose, whilst accepting the risk of 'being torn apart' as you put it.

I loved yesterday's occasion.

The focus being on Newport - the media coverage has been great. Were you watching Newport Council?

I thought that we did as well in the match as could have been expected. So pleased for Podge and us to get a goal.

Guardiola is class, Man City as a team were class, Flynn has conducted himself well.

The only let down for me is our pitch. Oh for a better surface on yet another big day.

Let's get some support up to Notts County to try and help get the lads into play-off contention. It's one hell of an ask to raise our game for Tuesday but for me we can still get into the play-offs. We are good enough.

Up the County.

I think the last 5 or 10 minutes, when we were visibly knackered and unable to keep shape, illustrates exactly what would have happened if we'd gone at Man City from the off and were consequently unable to keep shape because we were being adventurous. The game would have been over at half time, rather than in the 89th/90th minute. IMHO the tactics were spot on.

I think any other Premiership side might well have resulted in another scalp. City are just on another planet, even with only two-thirds of Pep's likely first-choice side playing.

And I have some sympathy for Bakinson: (1) he wasn't quite at the optimum position when the ball got to him (matter of a few inches), so he couldn't get the power or get it down; and (2) just about any other keeper wouldn't have got to it (except maybe De Gea).

NearlyDead wrote:I think the last 5 or 10 minutes, when we were visibly knackered and unable to keep shape, illustrates exactly what would have happened if we'd gone at Man City from the off and were consequently unable to keep shape because we were being adventurous. The game would have been over at half time, rather than in the 89th/90th minute. IMHO the tactics were spot on.

I think any other Premiership side might well have resulted in another scalp. City are just on another planet, even with only two-thirds of Pep's likely first-choice side playing.

And I have some sympathy for Bakinson: (1) he wasn't quite at the optimum position when the ball got to him (matter of a few inches), so he couldn't get the power or get it down; and (2) just about any other keeper wouldn't have got to it (except maybe De Gea).

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...Many could / would have said he should have done this , done that , put the ball here or there to probably score. The fact was he was there ( maybe a split second too early) he got the header on target and it was a GREAT SAVE that kept it out.....9 times out of 10 it may have been a goal..Unfortunately due to the great save it wasnt meant to be.
if he hadnt got there to get the header on target then he could / should have got questions asked of him..

Dave John wrote:I loved yesterday's occasion.

The focus being on Newport - the media coverage has been great. Were you watching Newport Council?

I thought that we did as well in the match as could have been expected. So pleased for Podge and us to get a goal.

Guardiola is class, Man City as a team were class, Flynn has conducted himself well.

The only let down for me is our pitch. Oh for a better surface on yet another big day.

Let's get some support up to Notts County to try and help get the lads into play-off contention. It's one hell of an ask to raise our game for Tuesday but for me we can still get into the play-offs. We are good enough.

Up the County.

They certainly were watching, Jess Morden & the Mayor came into our hospitality box for pics with GLC....cup run is over now though so I don’t anticipate them doing anything for us until we have another run

George Street-Bridge wrote:
Dave John wrote: The focus being on Newport - the media coverage has been great. Were you watching Newport Council?
The mayor was there, wearing a gold-looking chain.

I parked insanely early as usual. Usually recognise a fair number of people passing by sight, but very few yesterday which augurs well as first-timers can only have been very impressed.
Did any of them recognise you? :mrgreen:

Exile 1976 wrote:
Dave John wrote:I loved yesterday's occasion.

Up the County.

They certainly were watching, Jess Morden & the Mayor came into our hospitality box for pics with GLC....cup run is over now though so I don’t anticipate them doing anything for us until we have another run
Jess Morden is a regular at our home games .
Very often see her in Bisley with her kids

City supporter here (Manchester, that is.) Wasn't there in Wales on Saturday as i live 3,000 miles away these many years and had to follow the match via computer and BBC Radio. But i know of someone who did get down to Newport and who was glad for the warm welcome the whole day, and especially grateful for the offers of help he received when he kept having to stop to catch his breath (older bloke, who moves slowly) on his way back to the station. Several County fans stopped to ask if he was OK and if they could do anything; makes a change from my memories of following MCFC on aways to the likes of Cardiff, Leeds, & Millwall back in the day. Anyhow thanks on his behalf, class act by all concerned, and what a good bloke your manager is too.

ExiledBlue wrote:City supporter here (Manchester, that is.) Wasn't there in Wales on Saturday as i live 3,000 miles away these many years and had to follow the match via computer and BBC Radio. But i know of someone who did get down to Newport and who was glad for the warm welcome the whole day, and especially grateful for the offers of help he received when he kept having to stop to catch his breath (older bloke, who moves slowly) on his way back to the station. Several County fans stopped to ask if he was OK and if they could do anything; makes a change from my memories of following MCFC on aways to the likes of Cardiff, Leeds, & Millwall back in the day. Anyhow thanks on his behalf, class act by all concerned, and what a good bloke your manager is too.
Thank you for your kind words and making the effort to post it. Da iawn ti (well done you)