Re: Bakinson

As I said, "if they keep losing and don't use him they have little intention of using him...

...they're either going to give him a go in the next few games or he's not playing..."

Seems to me they got desperate enough to finally try him out. We'll have to see how the rest of the season goes before deciding he was still better off at County. :)

Has anyone else thought that Bristol City could have rung and said that if we want to keep a good relationship going with them, Bakinson has to play for at least 15 minutes at Wembley? I'm sure Brighton said the same with an injured Ben White when we played there against Spurs in the cup replay last season. Flynny's hands may have been tied.

Beechwood Boy wrote:Has anyone else thought that Bristol City could have rung and said that if we want to keep a good relationship going with them, Bakinson has to play for at least 15 minutes at Wembley? I'm sure Brighton said the same with an injured Ben White when we played there against Spurs in the cup replay last season. Flynny's hands may have been tied.
I doubt it. The truth is simply that Flynn made a mistake with his substitutions. It happens.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Beechwood Boy wrote:Has anyone else thought that Bristol City could have rung and said that if we want to keep a good relationship going with them, Bakinson has to play for at least 15 minutes at Wembley? I'm sure Brighton said the same with an injured Ben White when we played there against Spurs in the cup replay last season. Flynny's hands may have been tied.
I doubt it. The truth is simply that Flynn made a mistake with his substitutions. It happens.
Yes, what good relationship? Recalling Semenyo?

I hope this thread is the last time I see his name mentioned in connection with County. Zero response from crowd when his name was announced when coming on at Wembley and I cannot for the life of me understand why he was even on the bench.

Then proceeded to jog around as usual and in reality we played with 9 men. Oh hang on. He did win a corner. Thanks.

Worse than Rob Duffy and that’s saying something.

My recollection is he replaced Sheehan after full time so this cannot be true. I hope we never ever have a situation where other clubs dictate to our manager who plays.

gazza wrote:I hope this thread is the last time I see his name mentioned in connection with County. Zero response from crowd when his name was announced when coming on at Wembley and I cannot for the life of me understand why he was even on the bench.

Then proceeded to jog around as usual and in reality we played with 9 men. Oh hang on. He did win a corner. Thanks.

Worse than Rob Duffy and that’s saying something.
He was on the bench because,the only other option was the mystery signing Randall who has only had one brief appearance at Grimsby.He was ahead of him in the pecking order but,I was still surprised to see him come on.Even though Crofts is injury prone and likely to be released tomorrow,he was the man to come on.He would have broke up their play,covered any breaks and tidied things up with simple passes to start attacks.Was Crofts still not fit and only on the bench for show,that seems the only logical reason why he wasn't on instead of Bakinson.

To balance out the argument (and I’ll state it first I didn’t think he contributed much) I could understand the logic of putting him on. He was the one midfielder who plays higher up the pitch so could give support to the striker in trying to keep possession higher up the pitch, can shoot from distance and also added height for set plays whether defensively or attacking. Unfortunately it’s where we are as a club in that we don’t carry a huge squad so I kind of accept that when we’re a bit short there maybe players involved who aren’t quite up to it. The ideal options from the bench would have been Kennedy and semenyo if they hadn’t both gone back for varying reasons. If, and it’s a big if, we were able to keep the current squad together I’d make an offer to Aaron Collins to add some extra goals and also another creative midfielder who contributes 8-10 goals a season. We didn’t have much creativity on Saturday and Robbie wasn’t great for me but we lacked the option of anything else.

I agree with this. The one thing that Crofts and Dolan can't do is carry the ball directly forwards. Bakinson can but just hasn't done so for months. I think Flynn was just hoping for one moment from him and it didn't happen.

Tyreeq hasn't built on his early promise but he has just signed a new 3 year contract at Bristol City ( see extract from Bristol City website below ) ..... Recently he certainly hasn't "wowed supporters at Newport County".

Having put pen to paper on a new contract, Tyreeq Bakinson is keen to take his game to a new level at Bristol City.

Bakinson has wowed supporters at Newport County, where he has spent the 2018/19 season on loan, winning the fans’ Young Player of the Year award.

He’s earned a name for himself in Sky Bet League Two and now the former Luton Town Academy star wants to develop his game with his parent club, having agreed a new three-year deal with the option of a further 12 months.

He will return to BS3 following the conclusion of Newport County’s play-off final at Wembley Stadium later this month.

“I’m delighted,” he said, reflecting on signing a new contract with City. “It means I can get my head down now and work.

“It shows the club has backed me to progress and I hope I can do that. I just want to do all I can for the team.

“There are a lot of good players here so it is a great chance for me to keep on progressing and learn.

“I’m still young and it has been a tough road so far but it’s good to have those rewards.”

Started the season very well and was being voted M O M. Something has gone wrong. He let us down on saturday when he came on if i'm blatantly honest. Crofts was clearly not fit yet again otherwise he'd have come on. Perhaps Pipey should have come on. Matt's legs had gone and he kept looking over at the bench for a response, not wanting to ask to come off i guess. Dolan did okay when he came on but i felt he needed to go for goal with that last gasp free kick.

excessbee wrote:I agree with this. The one thing that Crofts and Dolan can't do is carry the ball directly forwards. Bakinson can but just hasn't done so for months. I think Flynn was just hoping for one moment from him and it didn't happen.
^^^ This. My take on it was Bakinson has that unexpected pass in him that might just have opened them up. It was a punt on going for the win. Crofts would have been a punt on taking it to penalties.