Re: Next seasons squad - ins and outs

Midlandsexile wrote:
Lysaght Dancer wrote:Now that is likely for the manager to have an increased budget for next season, who of our current squad would you offer improved deals to and who would you be happy to see gone? Then who would you like to replace the ones going?

Current squad and their contracts:

Joe Day - Expires end of this season
Mickey D - Expires end of this season
Mark O’Brien - Expires end of this season
Butler - Expires end of this season
Bennett - Contracted till end of 2019/20 season
Labadie - Expires end of this season
Wilmott - Contracted till end of 2020/21 season
Amond - Expires end of this season
Matt - Contracted till end of 2019/20 season
Townsend - Contracted till end of 2019/20 season
Forbes - Expires end of this season
Sheehan - Expires end of this season
Touray - Expires end of this season
Pipe - Expires end of this season
Crofts - Expires end of this season
Dolan - Expires end of this season
Marsh Brown - contracted till end of 2019/20 season
Fraser Franks - Contracted till end of 2019/20 season
Azeez - Contracted till end of 2019/20 season

There are several players with contracts that run out towards the end of this season that certainly need renewing before it’s too late.

I would keep: Day, Demetriou, O’Brien, Butler, Amond, Touray, Labadie (if he puts a good run in for the remaining games and stays fit)

I would let go: Forbes, Sheehan, Pipe, Croft’s, Dolan
Amond has another year on his contract.

Marky wrote:
Midlandsexile wrote:
Lysaght Dancer wrote:Now that is likely for the manager to have an increased budget for next season, who of our current squad would you offer improved deals to and who would you be happy to see gone? Then who would you like to replace the ones going?

There are several players with contracts that run out towards the end of this season that certainly need renewing before it’s too late.

I would keep: Day, Demetriou, O’Brien, Butler, Amond, Touray, Labadie (if he puts a good run in for the remaining games and stays fit)

Amond has another year on his contract.
So he does one less to worry about :grin:

Marky wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: Think you missed the point 'Left-footer' often being a colloqualism for a Catholic. At least I found it amusing . Thank God!
That just shows you're really old.
Definitely true. Will probably be meeting my God before too many more season as past. Like to see us make League 1 first though.
Lets not forget Foulston either, for next season

Midlandsexile wrote:

Amond has signed for another year

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:Almost forgotten about him already. Is he a left footer by any chance?

Muslim, I'd say.[/quote]

? What's that got to do with his footballing ability? Stupid remark.[/quote]

Think you missed the point 'Left-footer' often being a colloqualism for a Catholic. At least I found it amusing . Thank God![/quote]

Thank goodness someone has a sense of humour. Often missing on here. I'm a left footer myself but I played on the right side of midfield (badly) in my day.

Ugo. wrote:
ComeOnCounty wrote: A wide left midfielder/winger - We play with wingbacks and Butler's doing that job just fine
We have't played with wing backs for the last few games, playing with a back 4 with Poole as right back, this has freed Wilmott to play in his best postion on the right wing, as we have no natural player as a left winger then someone who can play that role makes sense
I disagree. I think we are still fundamentally a back 3 in shape but it can often look like we play with a back 4 recently because Willmott has a tendency to stay upfield and not track back and Butler (perhaps carrying a minor injury) is doing the reverse - staying back and not venturing forward too often. You should notice when County attack that there are the 3 CB's downfield in their correct positions.

My feeling with the three incomings in January was that Flynn was getting them in to assess them at close quarters with the possibility of signing them in the close season. I could be wrong on McKirdy but he wouldn't be the first young player to drop down the divisions in order to kickstart his career on a bigger stage.

On the current squad if I were Flynn I'd be looking at releasing Dolan, Franks, Marsh-Brown and Crofts. I think I'd find a role within the set-up for Pipe and maybe keep his registration on as a back-up. I'd be tempted to give Forbes either a run in the remaining matches or keep and give him a run at the start of next season as I'm not entirely convinced he couldn't be an asset.

Incomings? It all depends on where County are at the end of the season, whom is available and budget for the season. I think County could still be close to or in the play-offs by seasons end. That would be another season of improvement and make them a more attractive proposition for players next season. And at the end of the day I think most posters would be content with year on year growth in the club...

Exile 1976 wrote:I don’t get the Franks ‘haters’ , I think he’s decent, yes he’s had a few bad games (who hasn’t) but you only have to look at our MotM thread to see that he’s obviously done a lot right this season.

I agree , although IMO he is better in a three man centre half scenario than a flat back four....Then you have to play Willmott in a wing back position and that's a no from me . ok/ good going forward but defence isn't his game.

wattsville_boy wrote:My feeling with the three incomings in January was that Flynn was getting them in to assess them at close quarters with the possibility of signing them in the close season. I could be wrong on McKirdy but he wouldn't be the first young player to drop down the divisions in order to kickstart his career on a bigger stage.

On the current squad if I were Flynn I'd be looking at releasing Dolan, Franks, Marsh-Brown and Crofts. I think I'd find a role within the set-up for Pipe and maybe keep his registration on as a back-up. I'd be tempted to give Forbes either a run in the remaining matches or keep and give him a run at the start of next season as I'm not entirely convinced he couldn't be an asset.

Incomings? It all depends on where County are at the end of the season, whom is available and budget for the season. I think County could still be close to or in the play-offs by seasons end. That would be another season of improvement and make them a more attractive proposition for players next season. And at the end of the day I think most posters would be content with year on year growth in the club...
Franks and Marsh-Brown are signed up for the end of next season, so I highly doubt either will be going at the end of this season.

I rate Franks, think he is a good defender but proof is in the pudding. We have conceded far fewer in the last couple of games when Franks hasn’t been playing. Perhaps that’s testament to how well Poole is playing.

Having said that I fully expect Franks to be playing tomorrow, perhaps for O’Brien.

In terms of Marsh Brown he just hasn’t delivered. Other players have stepped up such as Semenyo and Willmott. Marsh Brown has looked poor most games he has played. I don’t want him here next season but can you see any other team paying off his contract based on his recent performances? I can’t.