Re: New training ground?

Not that it is relevant to the current debate but the money to build Newport Stadium actually came from Welsh Water. Welsh Water owed several million pounds to Newport Council in respect of historic debt on water assets which had passed to the ownership of themselves when they took over municipal water undertakings. WW offered to pay off the debts in a lump sum which Newport and some other councils accepted. The Welsh Office treated this income as a capital receipt from the sale of assets, meaning that the local authorities were free to spend the money on new projects.

And how can RP be developed? Any development of the Hazell stand would have to be using the same footprint as the existing stand and possibly wouldn't be allowed to be any higher than the existing stand. That really doesn't allow much scope for creating modern facilities. Sure the North and South stands could be multi-tiered and increase the capacity by a reasonable amount but would that be to the detriment of the pitch. Higher stands reduce the amount of sunlight which reduces grass growth on a pitch already struggling with current demands. Greater footfall increases the demands on the current drains and sewerage which weren't upgraded when all that housing was built on the riverbank. Methinks any development of RP and we'll all be expected to watch County play on a glue-pot all season and wade through effluent at home games...

G Guest wrote:Not that it is relevant to the current debate but the money to build Newport Stadium actually came from Welsh Water. Welsh Water owed several million pounds to Newport Council in respect of historic debt on water assets which had passed to the ownership of themselves when they took over municipal water undertakings. WW offered to pay off the debts in a lump sum which Newport and some other councils accepted. The Welsh Office treated this income as a capital receipt from the sale of assets, meaning that the local authorities were free to spend the money on new projects.
Is this really true? If it is how did you find this out?

wattsville_boy wrote:And how can RP be developed? Any development of the Hazell stand would have to be using the same footprint as the existing stand and possibly wouldn't be allowed to be any higher than the existing stand. That really doesn't allow much scope for creating modern facilities. Sure the North and South stands could be multi-tiered and increase the capacity by a reasonable amount but would that be to the detriment of the pitch. Higher stands reduce the amount of sunlight which reduces grass growth on a pitch already struggling with current demands. Greater footfall increases the demands on the current drains and sewerage which weren't upgraded when all that housing was built on the riverbank. Methinks any development of RP and we'll all be expected to watch County play on a glue-pot all season and wade through effluent at home games...
The drawings for the development linked to the student towers actually had a smaller stand where the Hazell is now but more central to the pitch which moved north when the Bisley was constructed. However I think any development today would be smaller, ( as it will be linked to a smaller amount that can be made from the cabbage patch). Perhaps just behind the north terrace, and include space for the squash club to move there. To be honest I don't think that the WRU are that interested, as end stand's are not that popular in Rugby. As stated before, I think they will use RP as a pawn in a bigger game.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:And how can RP be developed? Any development of the Hazell stand would have to be using the same footprint as the existing stand and possibly wouldn't be allowed to be any higher than the existing stand. That really doesn't allow much scope for creating modern facilities. Sure the North and South stands could be multi-tiered and increase the capacity by a reasonable amount but would that be to the detriment of the pitch. Higher stands reduce the amount of sunlight which reduces grass growth on a pitch already struggling with current demands. Greater footfall increases the demands on the current drains and sewerage which weren't upgraded when all that housing was built on the riverbank. Methinks any development of RP and we'll all be expected to watch County play on a glue-pot all season and wade through effluent at home games...
The drawings for the development linked to the student towers actually had a smaller stand where the Hazell is now but more central to the pitch which moved north when the Bisley was constructed. However I think any development today would be smaller, ( as it will be linked to a smaller amount that can be made from the cabbage patch). Perhaps just behind the north terrace, and include space for the squash club to move there. To be honest I don't think that the WRU are that interested, as end stand's are not that popular in Rugby. As stated before, I think they will use RP as a pawn in a bigger game.
So reading between the lines what you are saying is that the WRU Just what to get rid of Rodney Parade as soon as possible. Because they know deep down that they wouldn't be able to get planning permission to redevelop Rodney Parade.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
If your suggesting that the WRU might be looking to sell it still doesn't mean it's worth buying. It would still need redeveloping on three of it's four sides and I'm sure that part of the conditions for sale would include it being used for rugby and even that any rugby team playing there would have better terms of lease than County currently have. Not even the WRU would sell their member clubs down the river without means to survive the journey.

The Newport wrote:
G Guest wrote:Not that it is relevant to the current debate but the money to build Newport Stadium actually came from Welsh Water. Welsh Water owed several million pounds to Newport Council in respect of historic debt on water assets which had passed to the ownership of themselves when they took over municipal water undertakings. WW offered to pay off the debts in a lump sum which Newport and some other councils accepted. The Welsh Office treated this income as a capital receipt from the sale of assets, meaning that the local authorities were free to spend the money on new projects.
Is this really true? If it is how did you find this out?
I was working for Welsh Water at the time and paid the money to Newport. That, plus information from the City treasurer's staff whom I knew well.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Bangitintrnet wrote:
If your suggesting that the WRU might be looking to sell it still doesn't mean it's worth buying. It would still need redeveloping on three of it's four sides and I'm sure that part of the conditions for sale would include it being used for rugby and even that any rugby team playing there would have better terms of lease than County currently have. Not even the WRU would sell their member clubs down the river without means to survive the journey.
If the WRU do combine the Blues and Dragons as some expect, they will need RP to prise the Arms Park away from the Athletic club. Once they have rendered it redundant, the pressure will build, as the last thing the Athletic Club would want is to sell to developers. They could then finally finish the Principality Stadium, and reshape the Arms Park. It's at that point that RP is surplus to the WRU. The County don't require three sides of development at RP just the away end.

Regarding our surplus cash, I would invest in houses to convert to flats, and rent out. Then in the future, if we do have the option of buying a share of RP, we can re-mortgage.

I'm definitely with those who would rather see our cash stored away for the coming battle for a ground when our lease runs out.

I guess an affordable training base (if funding from F.A's etc can be garnered as other clubs like Mansfield who got half a million have) is an option which then allows us to have an asset to which then at least raise cash against on much lower rates.

Rodney Parade revamped is the way to go for me, you can't beat a stadium in the middle of a city.
The WRU are already talking of two regions, East and West, and I think would be just glad to now have the power to fold the Dragons and make a profit on their investment.

That means, us, the Council and potentially and hopefully NRFC could look to find some way to get the monies to buy it.

I am sure discussions are going on behind closed doors, buf Flynny is right, either way, we need to use this cash to make some sort of concrete legacy, ground or training ground, but not frittered away on players.

The NCFC Hippy wrote:I'm definitely with those who would rather see our cash stored away for the coming battle for a ground when our lease runs out.

I guess an affordable training base (if funding from F.A's etc can be garnered as other clubs like Mansfield who got half a million have) is an option which then allows us to have an asset to which then at least raise cash against on much lower rates.

Rodney Parade revamped is the way to go for me, you can't beat a stadium in the middle of a city.
The WRU are already talking of two regions, East and West, and I think would be just glad to now have the power to fold the Dragons and make a profit on their investment.

That means, us, the Council and potentially and hopefully NRFC could look to find some way to get the monies to buy it.

I am sure discussions are going on behind closed doors, buf Flynny is right, either way, we need to use this cash to make some sort of concrete legacy, ground or training ground, but not frittered away on players.
I like your way of thinking.

The drainage of Rodney Parade does not carry effluent.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The drainage of Rodney Parade does not carry effluent.
Perhaps if you read what is written...

Plus any flooding tends to bring effluent with it as not only do the drains overflow but the sewers too...

Rodney Parade seems to me like the ideal place to replicate a Leyton Orient type arrangement with flats built into the corners. I don't have a clue how we would finance it without partners but I know Arsenal became a property company for a few years and made plenty out of redeveloping Highbury into flats which covered some of the Emirates costs. So how do we get to a position where we can make the finances work and who do we talk to? I would favour the money we have being used on a stadium rather than training facilities. Training facilities require funds to run them and we still wouldn't have the income needed for a stadium so for me it has to be stadium first, increase the income and then training ground.

Collars wrote:Rodney Parade seems to me like the ideal place to replicate a Leyton Orient type arrangement with flats built into the corners. I don't have a clue how we would finance it without partners but I know Arsenal became a property company for a few years and made plenty out of redeveloping Highbury into flats which covered some of the Emirates costs. So how do we get to a position where we can make the finances work and who do we talk to? I would favour the money we have being used on a stadium rather than training facilities. Training facilities require funds to run them and we still wouldn't have the income needed for a stadium so for me it has to be stadium first, increase the income and then training ground.

I know we don't own Rodney Parade. But maybe consider getting in touch with an architect.

Why all this talk, when there is no hope in he'll we will ever have enough money at our disposal.
First and formost we need to secure our football league status.
At this time there are a number of venues local that we have at our disposal for little or no cost, so why waste money we don't have.