Re: New training ground?

flat4 wrote:Why all this talk, when there is no hope in he'll we will ever have enough money at our disposal.
First and formost we need to secure our football league status.
At this time there are a number of venues local that we have at our disposal for little or no cost, so why waste money we don't have.

And where are all these venues (Places) that we have at our disposal for no cost that you talk about?

Are you a local politician?

I wonder if anyone has spoken to The Celtic Manor about training facilities? I would think there would be some commercial benefit in them developing some facilities for the numerous sporting teams they have staying at the hotel. If we could encourage them to build and offer us the facilities then save our own pennies for a stadium?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
flat4 wrote:Why all this talk, when there is no hope in he'll we will ever have enough money at our disposal.
I have never read a better example of a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't doubt your sincerity but this is the attitude that kills our city and our club.
I think a better example was (and I'm paraphrasing): "let's milk these casuals for all their worth and charge more for the Man City game because they'll never come back anyway".

Marky wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I have never read a better example of a self fulfilling prophecy. I don't doubt your sincerity but this is the attitude that kills our city and our club.
I think a better example was (and I'm paraphrasing): "let's milk these casuals for all their worth and charge more for the Man City game because they'll never come back anyway".
Well I certainly didn't say that. My view is that football is overpriced. I also think that the consequence is that many fans have to pick and choose their games and that lower prices in the long run would lead to greater revenue.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: Well I certainly didn't say that. My view is that football is overpriced. I also think that the consequence is that many fans have to pick and choose their games and that lower prices in the long run would lead to greater revenue.
It pains me to say it but elements of the Tory policies leading to the "gentrification" of football were necessary at the time although in the main it was a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.
It will now be next to impossible to reverse that process by any club acting in isolation as that is likely to be setting out on the road to ruin.
72 EFL clubs all with similar pricing structures for similar quality of product in a highly competitive market is not a coincidence, they aren't all wrong. The pricing reflects the market in which they operate.
Action would be needed at the EFL level to change the market conditions. Whether that would produce greater revenue in the long run isn't really the issue. Whether it would produce greater overall stability for the clubs is of greater importance to me.

Amberexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: Well I certainly didn't say that. My view is that football is overpriced. I also think that the consequence is that many fans have to pick and choose their games and that lower prices in the long run would lead to greater revenue.
It pains me to say it but elements of the Tory policies leading to the "gentrification" of football were necessary at the time although in the main it was a sledgehammer to crack a nut solution.
It will now be next to impossible to reverse that process by any club acting in isolation as that is likely to be setting out on the road to ruin.
72 EFL clubs all with similar pricing structures for similar quality of product in a highly competitive market is not a coincidence, they aren't all wrong. The pricing reflects the market in which they operate.
Action would be needed at the EFL level to change the market conditions. Whether that would produce greater revenue in the long run isn't really the issue. Whether it would produce greater overall stability for the clubs is of greater importance to me.
I think that the problem is that when an afternoon at the football costs as much as a subscription to sky sports it's difficult to attract new customers. When my father who was uninterested in football got nagged into taking his nine year old son to wat his first game in 1967 it cost 7/-3d. Including the programme.

Even allowing for inflation the price hike has been huge. Would a dad not interested in football be prepared to splash out £30 to £40 on a regular basis today? I doubt it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Well I certainly didn't say that. My view is that football is overpriced. I also think that the consequence is that many fans have to pick and choose their games and that lower prices in the long run would lead to greater revenue.
On this we agree. I can go watch as much cinema as I like every month (using my Cineworld Unlimited card) for less than it costs to get in to sit and watch one County game. No wonder many in Newport choose to use their leisure time doing other things.

wattsville_boy wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Well I certainly didn't say that. My view is that football is overpriced. I also think that the consequence is that many fans have to pick and choose their games and that lower prices in the long run would lead to greater revenue.
On this we agree. I can go watch as much cinema as I like every month (using my Cineworld Unlimited card) for less than it costs to get in to sit and watch one County game. No wonder many in Newport choose to use their leisure time doing other things.

Wait for the ''buy a season ticket brigade'' to respond that its cheaper if you buy one...Thats ok for fans who can buy one , many cant.
I do however believe the club is missing out on opportunities that have been suggested on here by doing 'batches of matches to save fans money' ...( eg 6 games for the price of 5....buy three tickets ( for your plastic mates :wink: :lol: , get yours half price , family tickets etc)

I can buy a season ticket but choose not too because I decided that I cant plan whats going to happen in the future...I have had season tickets in the past but knowing my luck I will get one now and pop me clogs the day after I do :lol:
i have heard the arguments off those who say what the season ticket means to them and the club and why they should get priority over tickets etc but there are many like me who pay game by game that pay more into the club per season than they do but get less thought of in 'priority' of getting 'big game tickets..Its the choice / circumstances of each individual supporter

A points-based priority system, based on how much money a fan spends is the only fair way. Yes, it comes across like a person's priority is based on their 'ability to pay',but sadly, we aren't a charity. In many walks of life a person gains priority based on their ability/willingness to pay.... airline & train tickets spring most readily to mind.

newgroundrodney wrote:A points-based priority system, based on how much money a fan spends is the only fair way. Yes, it comes across like a person's priority is based on their 'ability to pay',but sadly, we aren't a charity. In many walks of life a person gains priority based on their ability/willingness to pay.... airline & train tickets spring most readily to mind.
Where I would disagree is that whilst not a charity, neither should we be just another business. For example, albeit a ludicrous one, we know that gate receipts for County average about £35,000 per league game. Now imagine that Irish winner of the £146,000,000's is me. If I were now to say, I'll pay £50,000 to see every game but I don't want anyone else allowed in, as a purely business proposition it would make sense to say yes.

For me, if the club is not part of our community then we are nothing. To truly be part of our community provision must be there to ensure people on limited incomes are not priced out.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:A points-based priority system, based on how much money a fan spends is the only fair way. Yes, it comes across like a person's priority is based on their 'ability to pay',but sadly, we aren't a charity. In many walks of life a person gains priority based on their ability/willingness to pay.... airline & train tickets spring most readily to mind.
Where I would disagree is that whilst not a charity, neither should we be just another business. For example, albeit a ludicrous one, we know that gate receipts for County average about £35,000 per league game. Now imagine that Irish winner of the £146,000,000's is me. If I were now to say, I'll pay £50,000 to see every game but I don't want anyone else allowed in, as a purely business proposition it would make sense to say yes.

For me, if the club is not part of our community then we are nothing. To truly be part of our community provision must be there to ensure people on limited incomes are not priced out.
In your opinion, if in my dreams, we were to adopt my notion of "£9, one price fits all. £9 per person, all areas, all ages, sit or stand" could we, and would we, sell enough tickets to increase attendances while maintain current ticket sales' revenues, while reducing the cost of football for 75% of supporters?.... could we at £9 still take the same money or even more?

Back to the original topic.
Is there a site that the council owns and would be willing to gift ( they did so for the Dragons )? Or is there a site that wouldn’t be too expensive to buy? That would :-
A) be easily developed as a training ground , and then
B) be capable of , and permission would be given for , development as a future stadium.
We should have demonstrated to the council our value to the city but will they gift us some land and make that support concrete? The club should ask the question.

newgroundrodney wrote:
In your opinion, if in my dreams, we were to adopt my notion of "£9, one price fits all. £9 per person, all areas, all ages, sit or stand" could we, and would we, sell enough tickets to increase attendances while maintain current ticket sales' revenues, while reducing the cost of football for 75% of supporters?.... could we at £9 still take the same money or even more?
£10 to stand. £10 to sit for those who can't stand. Anything you can get from old buggers like me and you with more money than sense.

God knows how many times we've done the £9 thing and it doesn't get any less ridiculous with repetition. That must be Southern League prices and the upshot would be a Southern League-standard squad getting slaughtered every week,.until eventually the club settled at Southern League level in all respects.

However, the ground would have become unaffordable long before that and we'd have had to kick it off with a fire sale of players as the prudent thing to do as a hedge against collapsing income through the gate and from sponsorship.

Good luck persuading a family of four to stump up 36 quid a game loyally through that process.