Re: New training ground?

With all of the facilities already dotted around Newport , including places like Dragon Park , Spytty , Hartridge School , surerly we would be better coming to a permanent , longer term deal to use one of these ?
I know it wouldn't be "ours" , but does Newport need another new facility ?
Keep the money in the bank I say , and put it towards potentially taking over RP once the Dragons are gone .

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:A cheeky bid for Newport Stadium, as this would also form our plan B should the WRU continue to play hardball with the lease renewal.
Agreed, RP is the preferred option long term, but Plan B has to be the Newport Stadium.

Notice that Undy AFC have just opened a brand new covered stand - the modular steel type that The Hive stadium (Barnet) has.

It's in the Argus, but no details of cost or capacity, although surely if Undy can finance it, then the County should be able to, if necessary.

I think Flynn is correct in saying that County need something concrete to show for their cup exploits over the past two years, rather than fritter away the money on other things. The question is whether a training complex is the best use for that money. If such an undertaking were to be considered I would rule out Newport Stadium as an option as the same money would need spending on the pitch (turning it from quagmire to playable) that partly necessitated the move from there in the first place. And having it as a "Plan B" makes little financial sense as you'd still need to spend the millions to bring it up to League standard as well as pay off the current users of the stadium.

wattsville_boy wrote:And having it as a "Plan B" makes little financial sense as you'd still need to spend the millions to bring it up to League standard as well as pay off the current users of the stadium.
So what is the solution if, as I expect, the WRU demand a huge increase in rent as their price for the lease renewal? As things stand we would find ourselves open to their financial blackmail as they know we have no fallback position,
The offer I would have in mind is no more than £250k for what I am sure the Council currently views as a liability. We would then also have 3 years to prepare for what may become the inevitable,

The Newport wrote:Newport Stadium :

Capacity
5,058 (3,246 seated)

Record attendance

Surface
Grass

Construction
Opened

Expanded

Construction cost
£7 million

How much would it cost in today's money to build something similar to Newport Stadium?

How much of the cost would have been spent on the running track , long jump lane and pit ? *( That was quite costly )

Most of the cost would have been for the main stand and car park as it was just grass banks around the rest of the pitch .
Using those figure you quote £ 5 million for the rest ??? Cant see how that was mind you as they didnt have to buy the land