Re: Caribou Cup Farce

To be fair, it did cross my mind that the player perhaps did think he was only coming off for an injury and felt fine. I have seen County players tell Flynn they don't want to come off and he usually changes his mind.

I think the manager should have been more forceful instead having a tantrum on the touchline. I would have summoned the captain and told him to explain clearly to the keeper that he was coming off for tactical reasons.

If Sarri did this (I saw Luiz speaking with him) then the keeper is a total idiot and deserves a large fine.

Amberexile wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:With the manager unable to leave the technical area, surely there was a role for the captain or the officials to intervene.
The captain yes, but the referee's job if a player refuses to leave the field of play for a substitution is to restart the game
I'm not sure what the rules are but given what happened I would suggest they need to look at them. To my mind once the ref has confirmed that the manager wants to make a sub, he should book the player for refusing to leave the pitch, followed by a swift second booking if he doesn't leave. Problem solved and lets get on with the game.

If there's one thing I hate about our game these days it's the endless time wasting, play acting etc. The Ebbsfleet keeper was on the radio a few weeks back after he'd been attacked at Chesterfield after a whole game of time-wasting. He called it "game management" and every team does it including us but as a fan if I've paid to watch a game I'd like to watch 90 minutes of football not 50 minutes of football and 40 minutes of time-wasting nonsense.

Collars wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:With the manager unable to leave the technical area, surely there was a role for the captain or the officials to intervene.
The captain yes, but the referee's job if a player refuses to leave the field of play for a substitution is to restart the game
I'm not sure what the rules are but given what happened I would suggest they need to look at them. To my mind once the ref has confirmed that the manager wants to make a sub, he should book the player for refusing to leave the pitch, followed by a swift second booking if he doesn't leave. Problem solved and lets get on with the game.

If there's one thing I hate about our game these days it's the endless time wasting, play acting etc. The Ebbsfleet keeper was on the radio a few weeks back after he'd been attacked at Chesterfield after a whole game of time-wasting. He called it "game management" and every team does it including us but as a fan if I've paid to watch a game I'd like to watch 90 minutes of football not 50 minutes of football and 40 minutes of time-wasting nonsense.
Surely deliberate time wasting should be dealt with by the referee, however many extra minutes it takes.

Cornish Exile wrote: Surely deliberate time wasting should be dealt with by the referee, however many extra minutes it takes.
This is how it is covered in the laws of the game -

"if a player who is to be replaced refuses to leave, play continues"

The referee could caution the player for "delaying the restart of play" if he believes that is what the player is doing deliberately.