Re: JUST FOR FUN

Evening Brendan. I did make the initial point of towns and cities so I suppose it is unfair of me to change it to urban conurbations now. However, if we are 27th is it fair to assume that there is no larger conurbation than ours that does not have a team in either the Premier league or the EFL?

I still would be very surprised to find a working class city or town that is larger than us that does not have a team in the EFL. Someone will show me I am wrong though. I wonder what the population of St Helens is? Haven't wikied it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Amberexile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:

Population 80k (wiki). Only 6 miles from Molyneux (or whatever it is called these days) so they probably count that as a home game anyway.
Molyneux lies outside the Dudley metropolitan borough which had a population of 316,464 in 2015, how does that compare to Newport?
They all support West From.
To about the same extent that people in Newport support Cardiff I suppose.
Talking to the guys in the bar at our matches against them back in the day, they had a cracking story about their old ground.

pembsexile wrote:Evening Brendan. I did make the initial point of towns and cities so I suppose it is unfair of me to change it to urban conurbations now. However, if we are 27th is it fair to assume that there is no larger conurbation than ours that does not have a team in either the Premier league or the EFL?

I still would be very surprised to find a working class city or town that is larger than us that does not have a team in the EFL. Someone will show me I am wrong though. I wonder what the population of St Helens is? Haven't wikied it.
You would have been surprised last year.

Birkenhead. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:Evening Brendan. I did make the initial point of towns and cities so I suppose it is unfair of me to change it to urban conurbations now. However, if we are 27th is it fair to assume that there is no larger conurbation than ours that does not have a team in either the Premier league or the EFL?

You would have been surprised last year.

Birkenhead. :grin:
Couldn't resist the temptation to google it. St Helens is surprisingly smaller than Newport but I can find two cities that are larger than Newport that don't have an EFL team. Slough (working class though?), but Warrington wins it, definitely working class. 170,000 and they don't have a football team. They must all be watching the rugby league.

Amberexile wrote:How about Dudley?
I've often wondered why one of these serial money launderers like Glenn Tamplin at Billericay doesn't invest some money into Dudley.

Massive catchment area, plenty of potential if you had a bit of early success, and at a time where peope are becoming disillusioned with top level football. Chelmsford is another one I am surprised nobody has ever thrown some cash at.

By and large I accept what pembsexile is saying about Newport being a large enough working class Town/City to sustain an EFL team. Just! Conurbations , unitary authorities, metropolitan districts etc certainly muddy the waters of population figures. I would throw Warrington and St Helens into the mix that has slightly larger Town populations; as I'm sure we all know however, they are best known sporting wise as Rugby League towns, which obviously affects the potential of the local Football team.

Size whilst being important, is thankfully not always the be all and end all. Thankfully

rncfc wrote:
I've often wondered why one of these serial money launderers like Glenn Tamplin at Billericay doesn't invest some money into Dudley.

Massive catchment area, plenty of potential if you had a bit of early success, and at a time where peope are becoming disillusioned with top level football. Chelmsford is another one I am surprised nobody has ever thrown some cash at.
Canterbury and Wakefield also.

pembsexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:

Wakefield I understand, as it's just a rugby league area. What does Dudley have other than Lenny Henry?

pembsexile wrote:
rncfc wrote:

This thread has certainly taken an interesting tangent, Wouldn't have thought Canterbury could be seen as a working class town, unlike Wakefield. But that does provide further evidence that sporting success in rugby can have a detrimental affect on a town sustaining a EFL team.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
This thread has certainly taken an interesting tangent, Wouldn't have thought Canterbury could be seen as a working class town, unlike Wakefield. But that does provide further evidence that sporting success in rugby can have a detrimental affect on a town sustaining a EFL team.
Thing about Wakefield is that it encompasses quite big towns like Castleford and Normanton. The people there tend to be Leeds supporters.