Re: Stadium Fundraising LTD

aberexile wrote:We're hardly moving the club to Milton Keynes! If we want to buy our own stadium it would take much longer to afford to purchase land and afford to build it in Newport than it would in a much cheaper place - Bleanau Gwent! We could do it in half the time!

The alternative could mean us ground sharing with someone like Hereford - much further away
It's a reasonable enough idea in some respects, but I can't see it happening. For me personally it would make life much easier but to move the club away from the most densely populated area available, in the hope of making life better for yourself seems a little bit counter-intuitive to me.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Honestly think our best option if RP is a no go is SP I don't believe it would cost that much to move into in short term keep the track build financially then make more plans
It's the only option at the moment, but it means accepting at least one relegation and then years of not being able to get promoted whilst we get some cash together to pay for improvements (which probably means more relegations along the way).

I am just astonished that literally nobody appears willing or able to do anything in a City of this size. I know you hold a different view, but I strongly feel the Council should be spearheading a campaign to secure sport in this City for the next 50-100 years, not "being supportive" behind the scenes by sitting down at the odd meeting which has no tangible outcome, and plastering their faces all over the Argus every time we have a good cup run.

Surely to God, someone, somewhere has the authority and foresight to see that - in fact - a project like this could be pretty lucrative for the Council and the City itself. But as per usual nothing ever seems to get done unless it's doomed to failure from the outset; spending near £100m on new retail outlets just as online shopping starts to quite literally take over the world being a wonderful example of how thick decision makers in this City really are.

rncfc wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Honestly think our best option if RP is a no go is SP I don't believe it would cost that much to move into in short term keep the track build financially then make more plans
It's the only option at the moment, but it means accepting at least one relegation and then years of not being able to get promoted whilst we get some cash together to pay for improvements (which probably means more relegations along the way).

I am just astonished that literally nobody appears willing or able to do anything in a City of this size. I know you hold a different view, but I strongly feel the Council should be spearheading a campaign to secure sport in this City for the next 50-100 years, not "being supportive" behind the scenes by sitting down at the odd meeting which has no tangible outcome, and plastering their faces all over the Argus every time we have a good cup run.

Surely to God, someone, somewhere has the authority and foresight to see that - in fact - a project like this could be pretty lucrative for the Council and the City itself. But as per usual nothing ever seems to get done unless it's doomed to failure from the outset; spending near £100m on new retail outlets just as online shopping starts to quite literally take over the world being a wonderful example of how thick decision makers in this City really are.

Sorry mate I'm lost now why would it mean relegation

It's not that far off FL standards ok money will have to be spent but we got till 2023 to prepare

Fair enough. I meant in its current form it would involve accepting relegation. OK, we could spend on it to bring it up to standard, but I just don't see how it is a goer without £5m+ being spent;

- New pitch needed
- New terrace needed (the shed is condemned I think I'm right in saying)
- More seats needed (if only the stand had been built all the way along the pitch as was the original plan)
- New turnstiles needed
- No hospitality
- Only 3 sides to the ground. I know Oxford get away with it, but would we?

This is before we consider the fact it's just a shit football ground. Is it even worth spending any money on if we can't get rid of the running track somehow?

rncfc wrote:Fair enough. I meant in its current form it would involve accepting relegation. OK, we could spend on it to bring it up to standard, but I just don't see how it is a goer without £5m+ being spent;

- New pitch needed
- New terrace needed (the shed is condemned I think I'm right in saying)
- More seats needed (if only the stand had been built all the way along the pitch as was the original plan)
- New turnstiles needed
- No hospitality
- Only 3 sides to the ground. I know Oxford get away with it, but would we?

This is before we consider the fact it's just a shit football ground. Is it even worth spending any money on if we can't get rid of the running track somehow?
I think to start we should be looking at 5000 capacity at most this keeps costs down.

And in another thread someone mentioned a German side where the fans all helped and built the stadium why not ourselves I've got no formal trade but I would help with painting etc

The first part I noticed was this;
They have saved the club two million euros from the overall construction costs of 15 million euros.
So whilst I'd like to think we could chip in, the fact is that there is still going to be a huge cost.

I'd be interested to see so0me sort of feasibility study into whether Spytty could be revolutionised, and what the cost would be. I just think that the money in question would be crazy, and probably better spent elsewhere.

rncfc wrote:
The first part I noticed was this;
They have saved the club two million euros from the overall construction costs of 15 million euros.
So whilst I'd like to think we could chip in, the fact is that there is still going to be a huge cost.

I'd be interested to see so0me sort of feasibility study into whether Spytty could be revolutionised, and what the cost would be. I just think that the money in question would be crazy, and probably better spent elsewhere.
I don't think SP would cost more than say 2 million to put it up to FL standards that's just my guess mind

I don't think moving the club from the centre of Newport to somewhere else in Gwent would work. The loss in attendance in taking the club from RP to Spytty would be large enough, but to base the club in a place even harder to get to seems bizarre. But if County were looking for a base for a new training facility outside the boundaries of Newport then I'm pretty sure that the councils of Caerphilly, Torfaen or Blaenau Gwent would be very welcoming.

The problem with having a "Stadium fund" is that it would be taking monies away from the club that they currently use to function. The people likely to contribute only have a finite amount of money and so any money given to a "stadium fund" would lead to cutbacks made elsewhere. Even if Newport City Council were to build a new stadium (as many on here believe they should) it wouldn't be given free of charge. They are likely to want to see some (if not all) of the costs paid back and are unlikely to want to contribute to the running costs of any stadium.

wattsville_boy wrote:I don't think moving the club from the centre of Newport to somewhere else in Gwent would work. The loss in attendance in taking the club from RP to Spytty would be large enough, but to base the club in a place even harder to get to seems bizarre. But if County were looking for a base for a new training facility outside the boundaries of Newport then I'm pretty sure that the councils of Caerphilly, Torfaen or Blaenau Gwent would be very welcoming.

The problem with having a "Stadium fund" is that it would be taking monies away from the club that they currently use to function. The people likely to contribute only have a finite amount of money and so any money given to a "stadium fund" would lead to cutbacks made elsewhere. Even if Newport City Council were to build a new stadium (as many on here believe they should) it wouldn't be given free of charge. They are likely to want to see some (if not all) of the costs paid back and are unlikely to want to contribute to the running costs of any stadium.
I'm inclined to agree. With the removal of the severn bridge tolls Newport must be well placed to prosper for years to come. All those people from Bristol wanting to move over the bridge for cheaper housing will result in greater footfall in shops etc etc. If we were looking at new build then possibly the area towards the steelworks - plenty of open land for a stadium, potential future rail links and at some point will probably be surrounded by housing and retail. Surely a sensible consideration for the council to invest in a stadium which could also become a leisure hub for that area as it grows.

Collars wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I don't think moving the club from the centre of Newport to somewhere else in Gwent would work. The loss in attendance in taking the club from RP to Spytty would be large enough, but to base the club in a place even harder to get to seems bizarre. But if County were looking for a base for a new training facility outside the boundaries of Newport then I'm pretty sure that the councils of Caerphilly, Torfaen or Blaenau Gwent would be very welcoming.

I'm inclined to agree. With the removal of the severn bridge tolls Newport must be well placed to prosper for years to come. All those people from Bristol wanting to move over the bridge for cheaper housing will result in greater footfall in shops etc etc. If we were looking at new build then possibly the area towards the steelworks - plenty of open land for a stadium, potential future rail links and at some point will probably be surrounded by housing and retail. Surely a sensible consideration for the council to invest in a stadium which could also become a leisure hub for that area as it grows.
Absolutely.

A stadium which encompasses commercial units for let, some restaurants and bars, a supermarket perhaps. They could even build some new offices for the Council into it enabling some prime real estate to be sold off in a high property market to help fund the project.

In terms of location, somewhere near a motorway junction for me, wouldn't necessarily have to be central. Is Kimberley Park big enough?

rncfc wrote:
Collars wrote:

Absolutely.

A stadium which encompasses commercial units for let, some restaurants and bars, a supermarket perhaps. They could even build some new offices for the Council into it enabling some prime real estate to be sold off in a high property market to help fund the project.

In terms of location, somewhere near a motorway junction for me, wouldn't necessarily have to be central. Is Kimberley Park big enough?
I have only seen pictures/photographs of "Kimberley Park" and it does look big enough but only on one side would you be able to build shops or units because you would also need quite a big car park to accommodate the units and the Football Ground. For me having visited Rodney Parade. That would be the best choice. There's so much more that could be done with Rodney Parade. But in order to buy Rodney Parade you will need the help of your local Council and outside investors. I believe there's closer to 10 acres of land including Football/Rugby ground. I have seen plans of what they were going to do to Rodney Parade and I agree with some of the ideas. You would definitely have to move the ground a bit more to the north end. And build a sports complex, shops, restaurant and so on. I have a few ideas of own also, but those I would like to keep to myself at the moment.