Re: Stadium Fundraising LTD

All our Mothers are Astronauts. We can move on from that now.

I 100% agree with the point of who should hold potential funds.

The Club? Like said before, what if playing funds are tight and they want to dip into to it. The Trust and Supporters Club, I suppose they could have the same views if funds are tight but I would feel more comfortable with the Trust/Supporters Club being attached to it. An Individual.. Hell no.

I would like a Newport Sports Trust to come together to manage a project like this. If Rodney Parade was to become a housing estate, we would have a hard core of say 7-8000 football and rugby fans with no place to go on the weekends. These are the people we need to mobilise if we are to achieve anything. Whether the relationship is strong enough to make this happen remains to be seen, but if August 2020 comes around and the bulldozers move in then Newport RFC and us will either have to make it happen together or go it alone on that long long road back.

The Dragons situation is 50/50. They're either going or they are going to be a flat out Development Region. I'd say neither is truly a great option for Rugby in this city but i'd possibly say the Development Region is the better option from a Rugby point of view. Obviously a better option for us on a medium term basis.

I also agree with the time to start this battle was when we moved to RP. I also agree the time to start was when we reformed. Now the best time to start was yesterday. I only seen the front page of the Argus but it was saying something about £7m in council cuts. I don't see monetary support from them.

You only have to look at https://www.footballgroundguide.com/abo ... ments.html and https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2018 ... ite-named/ for example to see how far behind we are. Look at what Boston United are building in the National League North. Don't even look at what Cardiff and Brighton are doing training ground wise.

We are the owners of this club and I believe we need to produce more for our team to perform, and produce more for the children of this City to aspire to.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:There is a real conversation to be had here. On an issue that I feel is far and away the most important facing our club.

As usual it gets dragged down into a slagfest. There is a small nasty group who do this every time a sensitive issue comes up.

Coincidence? I very much doubt it.

Stan if you are referring to me then I apologise. The trouble is that every time I suggest something on here there's a few that try to knock me down every opportunity they get (one of them is UPTHEPORT) he is 100 percent a Bully I don't care what anyone else has to say about him they wrong and I know the truth and so does he. I know that I should just ignore them but the best line of defence is to attack the enemy or foe what ever you want to call him. And that's how I have chosen to deal with it.

You are right some of the threads go off subject and they shouldn't but you can't just blame me for it. So I have decided to give myself a bit of a rest from this forum. I need to concentrate on my business more anyway. As this is an important time of year for me. So there you go UPTHEPORT I will give you a little bit of a rest. But I will be back.

Maybe get enough county fans to stand as local councillors and object or block any housing on the RP site, we would then need to mobilise numbers to vote in our favour, could probably do a lot better than the current bunch in power, might be a way into purchasing the ground, if there is no housing value in it.

How do we build a consensus from the position we are in right now to make a forward step?

There could be traction in local councillors or in any of the ideas posted here, but what are we going to take to the Trust/Council/Club and say we have numbers to support such a motion and we would like your support behind it?

I'd happily write a letter to anyone regarding my idea but I would rather write that letter with the backing of the 100 or so users and guest on this message board, that come here daily, stating they would donate or stating they are willing to run for councillor or whatever we decide is the best course of action.

No agendas, No fighting. Of course we are not going to agree on everything. I am sure we all agree that what we have achieved as a supporter owned club has been more satisfying than if a billionaire owner was running us as a tax write off.

Has anyone thought to affiliate this initiative with the club - they might just have a preference themselves, perhaps one that needs to be approved by the Football League and so on.

Or is this merely a repeat of the previous 'Last Of The Summer Wine' stadium episode where Foggy, Compo and Clegg thrash about at harmless tomfoolery........

whoareya wrote:Has anyone thought to affiliate this initiative with the club - they might just have a preference themselves, perhaps one that needs to be approved by the Football League and so on.

Or is this merely a repeat of the previous 'Last Of The Summer Wine' stadium episode where Foggy, Compo and Clegg thrash about at harmless tomfoolery........
I did three years ago. I offered to put in £1,000 to kick start it. David Hando asked me to back off as the club had it in hand.

Quite.

I fully expect the club to have this in hand. If they don't, then I will be standing next to Stan with pitchforks in hand.

I appreciate this is a conversation well conversed. And I know this probably wont lead anywhere. And I know my suggestion may be far from what is needed. But we are a supporter owned club and our contributions are not enough to sustain it.

We are in a position that most top level clubs supporters would love to be in. A Barcelona/German type model where we can control the direction of the club. We need to sell this dream to the sporting public of Newport. I would say that hasn't been translated well into the public domain.

So in the interest of not just talking. What are we gonna do? Can we get behind an idea between us all? Could be any idea at all.. if anyone likes mine, lets see if we can commit to 100 for now. Then take it to the Club and affiliate with them, with some weight behind it.

1. Papski
2. Papski

£200 in the pot. 98 more for £10,000. Easy money.

Papski wrote:I fully expect the club to have this in hand. If they don't, then I will be standing next to Stan with pitchforks in hand.

I appreciate this is a conversation well conversed. And I know this probably wont lead anywhere. And I know my suggestion may be far from what is needed. But we are a supporter owned club and our contributions are not enough to sustain it.

We are in a position that most top level clubs supporters would love to be in. A Barcelona/German type model where we can control the direction of the club. We need to sell this dream to the sporting public of Newport. I would say that hasn't been translated well into the public domain.

So in the interest of not just talking. What are we gonna do? Can we get behind an idea between us all? Could be any idea at all.. if anyone likes mine, lets see if we can commit to 100 for now. Then take it to the Club and affiliate with them, with some weight behind it.

1. Papski
2. Papski

£200 in the pot. 98 more for £10,000. Easy money.
The point I was making is that last time the ground issue gathered some momentum (on here) it became clear that the term 'ringfence' meant different things to different people. Some assumed it's basic meaning : guarantee that (funds allocated for a particular purpose) will not be spent on anything else.

Others wanted it to be a total, stand alone initiative, with no control or significant input from the club itself, whilst expecting the club to be grateful anyway, and to move into the new stadium regardless.

I would suggest that the next open meeting is the best opportunity to sound out the Trust and the Club directors, to at least understand the basic needs and mandatory requirements of funding and developing a Football League stadium, but with full community availability and participation as well. The days of building a single use stadium to be used once a week are long gone - it would be laughed out of the planning process.

It's no good approaching sympathetic councillors or potential locations until all the supporter/Trust/Club parties are on board.

Can't say I disagree with any of that.

I would be disappointed if there was a 'taking my ball home' mentality from people if we found a majority consensus on a step forward and they didn't agree because their POV was not chosen. I 100% believe we all want the best for our Club, even if we have different visions. There is no room for ego in this.

If the WRU say we are out, we are out. We do not have the luxury of what we personally want.

What will be our stance at the next meeting?