Re: FA Cup Runs: Best Performance / Achievement

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I should have asked which was the match which left you the happiest at the end. It has to be Leicester City. The feeling walking away from RP after that game was immense, to think that little Newport County had beaten a Premier League side, and one that had won the league 2 years before.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I'm in agreement with you now. The memory of beating Sheffield Wednesday is a very faded one as I was only a boy, but the Leicester victory should stay vivid for the rest of my days. Barring dementia of course. Or am I suffering from it now?
I was only a boy too funnily enough. My memories of the match are very limited. It was the only game that my dad came with me. I remember the strong smell of cigar smoke. I watched the first half in the bob bank next to the Cromwell Road end and the 2nd half in the enclosure. We were losing 1-0 at HT and I remember some Wednesday fans changing ends during the interval and goading the County fans. County equalised and then went behind again. I can't remember any of the goals. With about 5 minutes left Granville Smith went down the left wing and crossed for our 2nd equaliser. GS repeated the trick shortly afterwards. Obviously the crowd went wild when the winner was scored. Joe Bonson scored twice and Ralph Hunt scored the other. Happy days!

Blackandamber wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:I should have asked which was the match which left you the happiest at the end. It has to be Leicester City. The feeling walking away from RP after that game was immense, to think that little Newport County had beaten a Premier League side, and one that had won the league 2 years before.

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I'm in agreement with you now. The memory of beating Sheffield Wednesday is a very faded one as I was only a boy, but the Leicester victory should stay vivid for the rest of my days. Barring dementia of course. Or am I suffering from it now?
I was only a boy too funnily enough. My memories of the match are very limited. It was the only game that my dad came with me. I remember the strong smell of cigar smoke. I watched the first half in the bob bank next to the Cromwell Road end and the 2nd half in the enclosure. We were losing 1-0 at HT and I remember some Wednesday fans changing ends during the interval and goading the County fans. County equalised and then went behind again. I can't remember any of the goals. With about 5 minutes left Granville Smith went down the left wing and crossed for our 2nd equaliser. GS repeated the trick shortly afterwards. Obviously the crowd went wild when the winner was scored. Joe Bonson scored twice and Ralph Hunt scored the other. Happy days!
Your memories have triggered some partially forgotten memories such as supporters swapping from one side of the Stand to the other depending who was kicking towards which goal. The smell and clouds of cigar and pipe tobacco, invariably increasing in volume after we scored. The stench of the bogs, and the struggle to return to your spot as a boy if you we brave enough to use them half-time, when there were large crowds. Granville Smith, Bonson and Hunt, my first footballing hero's. Halcyon days.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Blackandamber wrote:Do you remember anything else about the match?
Very little to be honest. Was only 10, being with my father. My view was quite obscured. The singing of the crowd, the volume of which I had never experience before, and caps being throw into the air when we scored our third goal. The crescendo of those hand held rattles increasing whenever we were attacking.
If my memory serves me correct, it was sitting in chairs on the greyhound track.