Re: NEWPORT STADIUM..would we be welcome?

whoareya wrote:
Marky wrote:
Percy plunkett wrote:The problem we have is a large number of our fans treat it as a pub crawl with a football match thrown in.They have a drinkers paradise atm with a plethora of pubs in and around RP.There is nothing near Spytty,so they will use the myth that it is not up to EFL standards or the running track is a problem etc.We have to put the football club before alcohol and see what is best for the club.We have a pitch that is not fit for purpose,even though it costs us £50 k a year so we have to find an alternative.Fans will have to do without a pub crawl if they want us to prosper,it's football or booze.
It's not a myth, the pitch is worse at Spytty amongst a plethora of other issues.
How can a stadium that's already hosted football be a non-starter, when it's obviously got more going for it than any alternative to RP. There's nothing else suitable in the entire city. The main stand and the Spytty Rd end terrace are useable, the parking is bigger and nearer the main route through the city than most stadiums at our level. To say it's a non-starter can only be because of the reasons Percy identified, and people seem to have forgotten how far somerton park was from the city centre. I can't think of any new stadiums built in town or city centres for decades.
Or it could be because of the reasons I identified in my previous post. Where do the away fans go? There is no alternative to RP unless we start from the bottom again.

Marky wrote:
whoareya wrote:
Marky wrote:
It's not a myth, the pitch is worse at Spytty amongst a plethora of other issues.
How can a stadium that's already hosted football be a non-starter, when it's obviously got more going for it than any alternative to RP. There's nothing else suitable in the entire city. The main stand and the Spytty Rd end terrace are useable, the parking is bigger and nearer the main route through the city than most stadiums at our level. To say it's a non-starter can only be because of the reasons Percy identified, and people seem to have forgotten how far somerton park was from the city centre. I can't think of any new stadiums built in town or city centres for decades.
Or it could be because of the reasons I identified in my previous post. Where do the away fans go? There is no alternative to RP unless we start from the bottom again.

Away fans would go in half of the existing main stand, or in a modular steel stand like we've used several times at RP, like Gillingham and Barnet have used for years. Barnet's stadium is made entirely of modular steel. RP was never designed to segregate away fans but we managed it at short notice, so why couldn't Spytty accommodate it, like it used to?

What your basically saying is we either insist on staying at RP, or we pack it in ?

The pitch drainage compacted before we left it has never been replaced.
The shed was beginning to fall apart before we left with areas cordoned off it has since been condemned.
The terrace was so far from the pitch that as far as I remember it was only used once as a punishment for being a swans fan.
Didn't bar amber get changed into a player's meeting place and partly catch on fire?
Its's got a running track around it.
It's an amateur athletes ground with poor facilities with a badly draining piss poor excuse of a pitch in the middle of nowhere
IT HELD US BACK FOR YEARS
Newport stadium is Connie South standard at best and that's exactly what we'll become if we ever have the misfortune to end up back there

whoareya wrote: Away fans would go in half of the existing main stand, or in a modular steel stand like we've used several times at RP, like Gillingham and Barnet have used for years. Barnet's stadium is made entirely of modular steel. RP was never designed to segregate away fans but we managed it at short notice, so why couldn't Spytty accommodate it, like it used to?

What your basically saying is we either insist on staying at RP, or we pack it in ?
It could accommodate anything your heart desires, but it would cost millions of pounds that we don't have. If we can afford to redevelop Spytty then we can afford to buy Rodney Parade. Rodney Parade held circa-8000 fans already, Newport Stadium holds 1100. It's not a case of packing it in, we simply wouldn't be able to pay a squad at the same time and would drop down the leagues.

daftasfxxx wrote:The pitch drainage compacted before we left it has never been replaced.
The shed was beginning to fall apart before we left with areas cordoned off it has since been condemned.
The terrace was so far from the pitch that as far as I remember it was only used once as a punishment for being a swans fan.
Didn't bar amber get changed into a player's meeting place and partly catch on fire?
Its's got a running track around it.
It's an amateur athletes ground with poor facilities with a badly draining piss poor excuse of a pitch in the middle of nowhere
IT HELD US BACK FOR YEARS
Newport stadium is Connie South standard at best and that's exactly what we'll become if we ever have the misfortune to end up back there
It blows my mind people think that place is a viable option, our crowds aren't big enough as it is so we've got no chance of getting people to make do and go without a beer and go to games there.

It could accommodate anything your heart desires, but it would cost millions of pounds that we don't have. If we can afford to redevelop Spytty then we can afford to buy Rodney Parade. Rodney Parade held circa-8000 fans already, Newport Stadium holds 1100. It's not a case of packing it in, we simply wouldn't be able to pay a squad at the same time and would drop down the leagues.[/quote]

Good summation. Puts things into perspective for me.