Ground Talk

Seeing all this talk about a new ground. Doesn’t anyone think that it Rodney Parade is the best option for us to grow as a club.

We’ve got great transport links, good restaurants and pubs/bars for fans to go to before and after the game along with a ground which the big clubs struggle at.

One problem with Rodney Parade is that we don’t have a good deal in terms of % of sales from food and drink at the ground. But can’t see anywhere in the short/medium term which is suitable for us.

Any thoughts, be great to have a discussion.

Re: Ground Talk

Hazell Stand wrote:Seeing all this talk about a new ground. Doesn’t anyone think that it Rodney Parade is the best option for us to grow as a club.

We’ve got great transport links, good restaurants and pubs/bars for fans to go to before and after the game along with a ground which the big clubs struggle at.

One problem with Rodney Parade is that we don’t have a good deal in terms of % of sales from food and drink at the ground. But can’t see anywhere in the short/medium term which is suitable for us.

Rodney Parade is far and away the best option. However without a stake in the stadium our future depends on others. And that long term is a recipe for disaster.

The problem is the pitch,even with a Desso one costing £750000,it will always be a nightmare come new year.I am sick of the media and opposing managers criticising it.A mud bath,ploughed field etc.Our future can't be at RP because of it.We can't worry if it starts raining on a Friday that the Dragons will ruin it for us next day.

Hazell Stand wrote:Seeing all this talk about a new ground. Doesn’t anyone think that it Rodney Parade is the best option for us to grow as a club.

Cannot disagree that RP is the ideal location, but sadly we cannot take it for granted we will be able to continue playing there. Nobody is prepared to give any assurances, certainly not beyond 2023. Therefore talk of a new ground/ relocation is inevitable, and I would argue crucial.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Rodney Parade is far and away the best option. However without a stake in the stadium our future depends on others. And that long term is a recipe for disaster.
100% agree, and with all this talks of the Dragons potentially merging with another region or going up North the future is up all over the place.

Wonder if they did move out, would the council be interested or another buyer who again can rent it out to us on a more secure basis.

Percy plunkett wrote:The problem is the pitch,even with a Desso one costing £750000,it will always be a nightmare come new year.I am sick of the media and opposing managers criticising it.A mud bath,ploughed field etc.Our future can't be at RP because of it.We can't worry if it starts raining on a Friday that the Dragons will ruin it for us next day.
Understand about the issues with the pitch, but over the years how many big games (league and cup) have we won due to the poor condition of the pitch.

The press isn’t of course a good thing for the club however the Referee has to pass it safe to play which they do. It’s looking like covers are constantly being used when poor weather is predicted as well so saves postponements.

If our future isn’t at RP, where do you suggest?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:

Cannot disagree that RP is the ideal location, but sadly we cannot take it for granted we will be able to continue playing there. Nobody is prepared to give any assurances, certainly not beyond 2023. Therefore talk of a new ground/ relocation is inevitable, and I would argue crucial.
We can’t take it for granted, however I feel like we should stay there if possible. I’m not sure on where the relocation would be or where this new ground that would go to ensure we still have all the benefits we do now.

I'm with you that RP is the place to be. I was the driver to go to Spytty Park on match days, these days I can have a few in town and swan over with 10 mins to spare before KO.

If we start fundraising and RP gets the http://www.arturus.co.uk/portfolio2/sta ... hotos2.jpg treatment and we get to stay, then we could take a vote on the new course to take with the funds we have.

Being told at the end of next season that we have a season or two to move out and we have not started to mobilise, that would be suicide.

Again I assume the Board are on this case. There would be no valid excuse if they are not.

Some sort of cooperative venture involving Newport Council, Newport County, Newport RFC and a property investor might be a good route to explore.

It could give the WRU an opportunity to wash their hands of the Dragons and bow out.

Be great if RP was redeveloped but with Dragons maybe folding or moving...uncertainty kills investment as we have all probably noticed lately.

Dragon Park? Close to our spiritual home, all the infrastructure is there, so are Welsh FA and coaches from across Europe.

Just need £20m for a new stadium.

[quote="gazza"]Be great if RP was redeveloped but with Dragons maybe folding or moving...uncertainty kills investment as we have all probably noticed lately.

Dragon Park? Close to our spiritual home, all the infrastructure is there, so are Welsh FA and coaches from across Europe.

Just need £20m for a new stadium

Great point, however Dragon Park isn’t big enough nor is viable for fans compared to RP.

How much do people think you could buy RP for?

Papski wrote:I'm with you that RP is the place to be. I was the driver to go to Spytty Park on match days, these days I can have a few in town and swan over with 10 mins to spare before KO.

If we start fundraising and RP gets the http://www.arturus.co.uk/portfolio2/sta ... hotos2.jpg treatment and we get to stay, then we could take a vote on the new course to take with the funds we have.

Being told at the end of next season that we have a season or two to move out and we have not started to mobilise, that would be suicide.

Again I assume the Board are on this case. There would be no valid excuse if they are not.
We still have 3/4 years so no need to be panicking at the moment. However we can’t afford a new ground even with the fundraising activities. Probably need to win a Cup before that can even be considered.

Interesting to see that you and many other supporters enjoy RP, especially seeing and hearing all the negative comments I see on here and elsewhere

Percy plunkett wrote:The problem is the pitch,even with a Desso one costing £750000,it will always be a nightmare come new year.I am sick of the media and opposing managers criticising it.A mud bath,ploughed field etc.Our future can't be at RP because of it.We can't worry if it starts raining on a Friday that the Dragons will ruin it for us next day.

Whilst I share your concerns about the pitch, I don't agree that our future can't be at RP because of it. Firstly as far as I'm aware only one Dragons cup game was played on a Friday night prior to a County game. Their League games have either been on different weekends to County games or on the Sunday, as is the case this weekend. The Dragons last home game incidentally. Thought the pitch was reasonable today, and no worse than some other League 2 pitches from what I have seen. Helped undoubtedly by the unseasonably warm weather and the grass starting to grow again. Noticeable that Man City had no complaints about the pitch and thought it reasonable for League 2.
I do wonder however, if it will cost a lot of money to restore it in the close season?