Re: GRANDSTAND: EXILES v CARLISLE

A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon.
Great 3 points against a very impressive footballing side.
We were totally over run in midfield but thanks to Waynes coaching 2 more quality goals from corner set pieces.
Thought at times Robbie was superb with 2 defenders trying to stop his quality crossing.
Great home debut for Azeez a real handful.
Great to see at times 4 up front.
Ref was awful and not up to standard.
Positive in over 3000 home fans yesterday.
Still not out of play offs but a tall order.

Joe 8 Superb penalty save
Regan 7 Okay but has played better since returning
OB 8 Rock solid
Micky 7 Likewise but too many long throws yesterday again.
Dan 8 Impressive.
Matty 4 Unfit and hopeless
Scott 6 Gave away too many balls.
Padraig 7 Just keeps trying
Matt 7 Outshone by Azeez yesterday
Azzeez 8 handful
Robbie 8 My MOM

Sheehan 6 Okay
Labs 7 Got stuck in
McKirdy the lad was biting at the bit all second half to get on.Flynny had to placate the lad but gave him 10 minutes think if he gets a game will be a handful.

Wayne 9 for the corner plays.

Can understand why there is an argument that podge is wasted in the No 10/advanced midfield roll, but I would argue that in some games, especially with the personnel at our disposal and if Matt and Azeez are fit and performing well and we are short on numbers in midfield, due to injuries or lack of form it is a good decision. He did score playing from that position after all. I'm sure we all know what a good professional he is and will give his all wherever he is asked to play.
Agree with others also that Carlisle had some skilful forward players who could move the ball forward quickly and exposed our midfield and defence a number of times, especially in the first half. Thought we adjusted to that in the second half by sitting a little deeper of their forward players, thus didn't get caught out for pace so often, getting more men behind the ball, and although it gave Carlisle the greater possession they were less able to run or pass through us.
Particularly impressed by O'Hare. Would certainly like to see him in our midfield.

I agree about O'Hare. Reminded me of Mark Byrne. Always looking to move the ball forward, either running at the defence or passing. Sadly, the opposite of what we are currently getting from Dolan. Our fitness levels are very high at the moment. We were in the ideal position by getting the second goal to give to give McKirdy a run out. At that time Carlisle were flagging, Gerrard couldn't go much beyond seventy minutes, although the right sided Liddle did put in a good shift to the end.

It seemed to me that we played a 4-3-1-2 formation yesterday with Robbie going wide when he got the chance. That left Dolan and Bennett in the center with Podge dropping deep to help out.

I don't think Podge offers as much in midfield as he does up front but its always good to have him on the park as demonstrated by both goals.

Personally I'd like 4-3-3 with Robbie on the right and one of the strikers on the bench keeping fresh to come on and make an impact. Azeez could cause havoc on the left like Semenyo used to cutting inside.

Agreed 100% with the earlier poster that Labadie makes a huge difference to the team. His physicality really lifts the team and gives us a real edge.