Re: The County did this for the city of Newport.............

I dont know why we need a lobby, I always leave my coat in my car !!................. But seriously Stan I do agree with you and the item in our local paper, re the boost that the cupties gave , and the Councilors present, would have hopefully started thinking about getting together with contacts , and hopefully maybe approaching people and companies to give Newport more than just the one noticeable Celtic Manor Resort.
Bob Bassett

BertieB wrote:I dont know why we need a lobby, I always leave my coat in my car !!................. But seriously Stan I do agree with you and the item in our local paper, re the boost that the cupties gave , and the Councilors present, would have hopefully started thinking about getting together with contacts , and hopefully maybe approaching people and companies to give Newport more than just the one noticeable Celtic Manor Resort.
Bob Bassett
Terry Mathews ?, wasn't he interested in buying the Dragons a few years ago ?

penycwm county wrote:
BertieB wrote:I dont know why we need a lobby, I always leave my coat in my car !!................. But seriously Stan I do agree with you and the item in our local paper, re the boost that the cupties gave , and the Councilors present, would have hopefully started thinking about getting together with contacts , and hopefully maybe approaching people and companies to give Newport more than just the one noticeable Celtic Manor Resort.
Bob Bassett
Terry Mathews ?, wasn't he interested in buying the Dragons a few years ago ?
No but his son, Dylan, was on their board. Not sure if he still is or not.

Cornish Exile wrote:
penycwm county wrote:The problem is, like every other Council that it is under funded, could they justify spending £xx on a sports ground when there are other social needs that need addressing?
Completely different Budgets.
Correct answer. And spending on social care is restricted by central government as well, so no-one's homeless specifically because the counciil is also paying for a football ground.

What they need to be doing is considering how to preserve a city centre site for a rugby and a football team permanently. Flogging the WRU a patch of land on the outskirts in exchange for RP ownership seems a sensible leverage move, as is insisting any developers fund the "community facility" as part of housing deals.

Bad, BAD time to need to build something though with the Brexit uncertainty.

SJG99 wrote:
Cornish Exile wrote:
penycwm county wrote:The problem is, like every other Council that it is under funded, could they justify spending £xx on a sports ground when there are other social needs that need addressing?[/quot

Correct answer. And spending on social care is restricted by central government as well, so no-one's homeless specifically because the counciil is also paying for a football ground.

What they need to be doing is considering how to preserve a city centre site for a rugby and a football team permanently. Flogging the WRU a patch of land on the outskirts in exchange for RP ownership seems a sensible leverage move, as is insisting any developers fund the "community facility" as part of housing deals.

Bad, BAD time to need to build something though with the Brexit uncertainty.
I didnt say social care I said social