Re: Swindon fans/club to buy stadium from council

Kairdiff Exile wrote:Fair play, I've already had a message from one of the Board. Sounds as though a lot of good work is already underway, and I've reiterated my offer of support if it's required.
That's tremendous news. Would love to hear some developments from this in the coming weeks. Also good to see that ideas/thoughts/experience shared here can be welcomed. Good stuff Kairdiff Exile.

whoareya wrote:I know access around the side streets is an issue, but there is a plot of land for sale at the moment that is just behind the Bisley stand that opens up onto Corporation Rd, guide price is £50k, secure that plot and there's your access issues sorted....
Maybe this is what we should be fundraising to buy then :D

Papski wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:Fair play, I've already had a message from one of the Board. Sounds as though a lot of good work is already underway, and I've reiterated my offer of support if it's required.
That's tremendous news. Would love to hear some developments from this in the coming weeks. Also good to see that ideas/thoughts/experience shared here can be welcomed. Good stuff Kairdiff Exile.

whoareya wrote:I know access around the side streets is an issue, but there is a plot of land for sale at the moment that is just behind the Bisley stand that opens up onto Corporation Rd, guide price is £50k, secure that plot and there's your access issues sorted....
Is this the piece of land owned by the Coucil?

rncfc wrote:
Papski wrote:

Is this the piece of land owned by the Coucil?
I don't think so - it's strip of land behind the houses that back on to Corporation Rd, I think it leads to a row of lock-up garages or parking area. I can't remember what auction house it is, but it came up when I did a general property search for Newport.

Maybe this is what we should be fundraising to buy then :D[/quote]

Is this the piece of land owned by the Coucil?[/quote]

I don't think so - it's strip of land behind the houses that back on to Corporation Rd, I think it leads to a row of lock-up garages or parking area. I can't remember what auction house it is, but it came up when I did a general property search for Newport.[/quote]

It's been up for sale for years and has planning for student flats (without parking). Access to the land is via a passage built into the house that fronts Corporation Road.

Access to housing development are complicated by the requirement that no crossroads are allowed on main roads. This is to stop slow moving traffic trying to move across two lots of fast moving traffic. The old access to Rodney Parade has now been built over for this reason. The other alternative is to buy a house or two to demolish and then pay to stop up the side roads on the opposite side of Corporation Road.

Any developer would also have to have have planning consent to demolish the existing structure. At this point the authority has to take into consideration the loss of the existing facilities against the need for new housing.

When the cricket pitch at RP was purchased to build Maindee Junior School a new cricket pitch and facilities had to be built at Spytty. Likewise when Somerton Park was lost to development, Newport Stadium had to be constructed to replace it.

It is much more difficult now to find a site suitable to replace Rodney Parade, as the possible sites with suitable access for 10,000 plus, are more valuable than Rodney Parade.

If you take into consideration the cost of demolition on top, Rodney Parade is worthless to a developer.

The cabbage patch isn't worthless, however a link between development of it, and providing funding to update RP has been established, when the student towers were given consent.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Is this the piece of land owned by the Coucil?[/quote]

I don't think so - it's strip of land behind the houses that back on to Corporation Rd, I think it leads to a row of lock-up garages or parking area. I can't remember what auction house it is, but it came up when I did a general property search for Newport.[/quote]

It's been up for sale for years and has planning for student flats (without parking). Access to the land is via a passage built into the house that fronts Corporation Road.

Access to housing development are complicated by the requirement that no crossroads are allowed on main roads. This is to stop slow moving traffic trying to move across two lots of fast moving traffic. The old access to Rodney Parade has now been built over for this reason. The other alternative is to buy a house or two to demolish and then pay to stop up the side roads on the opposite side of Corporation Road.

Any developer would also have to have have planning consent to demolish the existing structure. At this point the authority has to take into consideration the loss of the existing facilities against the need for new housing.

When the cricket pitch at RP was purchased to build Maindee Junior School a new cricket pitch and facilities had to be built at Spytty. Likewise when Somerton Park was lost to development, Newport Stadium had to be constructed to replace it.

It is much more difficult now to find a site suitable to replace Rodney Parade, as the possible sites with suitable access for 10,000 plus, are more valuable than Rodney Parade.

If you take into consideration the cost of demolition on top, Rodney Parade is worthless to a developer.

The cabbage patch isn't worthless, however a link between development of it, and providing funding to update RP has been established, when the student towers were given consent.[/quote]

Thanks. A most enlightening post, but you have lost me with your reference to the student towers.

Papski wrote:http://www.arturus.co.uk/portfolio2/sta ... hotos2.jpg

Possibly one of the towers in this.

That post will help me sleep tonight Bangitintrnet :D
Hopefully ;-)

Yes, a development of Rodney Parade was proposed some years ago when the University of Newport was starting. Basically the idea was to build tower blocks for students on the cabbage patch. This with the £5 million Usk footbridge was to link the two sides of the Usk, as the vast majority of students don't require a car and thus most access would be on foot.

The development was granted planning consent but only on the basis that Rodney Parade was developed into an 18,000 stadium first. The development was to be in stages with only the Bisley being completed. The student towers were supposed to provide the money to rebuild the stadium, but when the university merged with Trefforest the need for student housing was lost.

In planning terms a development that is linked is known as an anableing development. These days planning is granted by considering the impact on local needs and services. If land value increases due to planning consent, the increase is used to provide section 106 money for the local community. I.E. money that is then spent by the council on up grading roads, extra school places, playgrounds etc. The amount of money will be specified in the planning consent, and is designed to compensate the locals for the extra strain that granting consent puts on the surrounding community.