Re: Giving people second chances

BertieB wrote:I saw a Zebroski in the non league goal scoring a month or so ago, does anyone have any news of Zebroski who played for us but sadly "went off the rails".......I thought he was a good player but I didn't know about "his problems"
Come on the Port .......Bob bassett
Bob, yes that's the same player. Signed for Eastleigh when he was released from the clink. Still got a goal or two in him but is being kept out of the side by McCallum who scores for fun.

There is already something in place that could stop AJ returning to football, and that is safeguarding and child welfare, bottom line is he will/should have to provide an enhanced DBS/CRB which will show that he should not be allowed to work around children under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults so unless a club can guarantee that he will never come into contact with any of those then they are putting those people at risk and could possibly be leaving themselves wide open for legal action.
Youngsters break through and get invited to train with first team squad, academy players at training centres at the same time as first team, how many under 18’s and vulnerable adults attend matches.
It’s a bit overkill maybe but it can be used to keep him out of the game.

Newportonian wrote:There is already something in place that could stop AJ returning to football, and that is safeguarding and child welfare, bottom line is he will/should have to provide an enhanced DBS/CRB which will show that he should not be allowed to work around children under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults so unless a club can guarantee that he will never come into contact with any of those then they are putting those people at risk and could possibly be leaving themselves wide open for legal action.
Youngsters break through and get invited to train with first team squad, academy players at training centres at the same time as first team, how many under 18’s and vulnerable adults attend matches.
I was thinking along the same lines. Not sure of his individual case, but with certain sex offenders registers they can and do preclude the offender from obtaining certain jobs.

Newportonian wrote:There is already something in place that could stop AJ returning to football, and that is safeguarding and child welfare, bottom line is he will/should have to provide an enhanced DBS/CRB which will show that he should not be allowed to work around children under the age of 18 or vulnerable adults so unless a club can guarantee that he will never come into contact with any of those then they are putting those people at risk and could possibly be leaving themselves wide open for legal action.
I believe you are probably wrong. I don't know the exact conditions of his release. However the norm would be a restriction would normally be not to have a job where he has responsibility for or unaccompanied access to children.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
I believe you are probably wrong. I don't know the exact conditions of his release. However the norm would be a restriction would normally be not to have a job where he has responsibility for or unaccompanied access to children.
Agreed, otherwise he wouldn't even be able to work in a supermarket.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
I was thinking along the same lines. Not sure of his individual case, but with certain sex offenders registers they can and do preclude the offender from obtaining certain jobs.
Schools, Youth Centres or similar have safeguarding in place but legally you cant refuse to employ somebody because of the disclosure but you can choose not to employ somebody because of their suitability, do you know if the tradesman (or similar) who you invite into your house is a convicted sex offender ?

penycwm county wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Schools, Youth Centres or similar have safeguarding in place but legally you cant refuse to employ somebody because of the disclosure but you can choose not to employ somebody because of their suitability, do you know if the tradesman (or similar) who you invite into your house is a convicted sex offender ?
You are not allowed to know. This is to stop vigilantism. People on the sex offenders register have to be in contact with the police. Certain jobs such as teaching check to prevent such persons taking specific jobs.

I prosecuted and defended sex offenders. I don't defend the behaviour as we are all responsible for our own actions. However without exception ever person I acted for who were guilty of abusing children had themselves been abused as a child. With that in mind I would suggest that the issues are somewhat more complex than many believe. Or perhaps more accurately would like to believe.

A recent case held locally

21 yr old male accused of having sex with 15 yr old female, he met her at a nightclub where she passed two SIA qualified door supervisors, CCTV showed her buying drinks at the bar (where they had signs saying that they had a 25 yrs policy) by an experienced bar person, his argument was if they didn't query her age why should he have known?

Guilty or Not Guilty

Oh just remembered, she wasn't wearing the school uniform in the club that she wore in court