Re: Podge International call up

Cornish Exile wrote:
County ranger wrote:Congratulations very well deserved for an all round professional.

Right up there with the best County forwards I have seen since the early 70’s.
Agreed. Reminds me very much of Alfie Hale, our previous Irish striker, who totalled 21 goals in his only season with us in the late 60's.
What was that all about?

rncfc wrote:Really chuffed for him. I can't think of anyone who deserves this more than him. If he gets s game and a goal mind you, I think we might unfortunately be saying adios before long.
I think Mick McCarthy is interested in having a closer look at some of the players who haven't been on the radar in recent years to see whether they are options going forward. Lets be honest the two teams the RoI are playing aren't in the upper escelons of international football so it's not going to hurt them to see how they train and compare them to players in their position with international experience.

Merely figuring in a provisional squad sends the message to Podge that his efforts haven't gone unnoticed by the RoI from which County can only benefit. I can't see anybody being unhappy should he get a cap (or two) and consequently move on at the end of the season. He's represented the club well and would have deserved any move to a bigger club. Our only concerns in such a scenario is that he's not sold cheaply (and without any "add-ons") and that the club brings in someone of similar quality.

Well done "Podge" absolutely delighted for you for being selected for the national team . and also for the tremendous efforts for Newport County that you have given us since you've been here, "go get em mate!! " its never to late "to hit the big stage" !!!
Come on the Port !!............................Bob Bassett

Cornish Exile wrote:
County ranger wrote:Congratulations very well deserved for an all round professional.

Right up there with the best County forwards I have seen since the early 70’s.
Agreed. Reminds me very much of Alfie Hale, our previous Irish striker, who totalled 21 goals in his only season with us in the late 60's.
And of course John Aldridge also played for the Republic of Ireland.

South London Exile wrote:When was the last time a Newport County player played in an international?.. 80s?! Huge achievement for a league two player.
The answer is 21st September 1983 when Nigel Vaughan made his third Wales appearance as a Newport County player in Oslo in a 0-0 draw against Norway in the European Championship Qualifier. Vaughan continued to play for Wales until 1984 but as a Cardiff player.

Steve Lowndes made his final Wales appearance as a County player in the match before Vaughan's last as a County player, which was a 1-1 draw with Brazil in Cardiff. He played for Wales until 1988 as a Millwall and then Barnsley player.

No active Newport County player has made an international appearance since (according to Wikipedia anyway) - not even a Curacao international or Eritrean. FWIW Fan Zhiyi retired for China in 2002 before playing for County from summer 2003. 106 caps for them but none as a County player. :lol: