Re: Worrying ?

rncfc wrote:It seems pretty obvious to me. We need to be just a little bit better in most areas of the pitch. That either comes with a bigger budget to bring in higher quality players who have that extra something, or by improving what you have.

Forget the FA Cup run; that was a string of one-off games which we did very well in. But I don't think you can cite those games as evidence that we are underachieving in the league.

We are plenty good enough on our day, but for whatever reason too many of our players are unable to produce the quality needed week after week. No need to wet your pants over it, if we can keep the group together for another year or two and add a few here and there with our cup windfall I think we'll be pretty close.

Did anyone seriously think that we would make the play-offs with our inconsistency this season? If you did, then you're a bit daft in my opinion. It would take a ridiculous turnabout in form for that to happen, and our GD is a bit of a giveaway as to the fact that - right now - we're simply not good enough.
Two points.

Firstly we are not so far from the playoffs and a good run and it is possible. Secondly a team that can live with Spurs and Manchester City and defeat Leeds, Leicester and Middlesbrough clearly have the ability.

Something somewhere is wrong. I don't know what it is, which is why I am interested in the views of others. Rather like Brexit, it seems to me everyone has an opinion as to what we don't want. Your post is valid in as far as you clearly believe we are not quite good enough.

My view that had it been a one off Cup performance I would agree. But it wasn't.

My view is that playing matches against teams higher in the pyramid suits our style. When you compare the Premiership and League Two, it's almost a different sport on occasions. Making sides like that play the brand of football we are accustomed to means we are prone to causing upsets - this has been proven repeatedly.

What has also been proven repeatedly for two seasons is that we are nowhere near consistent enough against teams in our own division. Perhaps it's a concentration thing? Perhaps we're not physically strong enough all over the pitch? Whatever it is, I'm sure we'll gradually get it right over the next few years. I'm far more concerned about what's going on off the pitch.

Having played a lot of team sports Stan and as explained earlier from my day's playing for Pill I played in a lot of football, rugby, cricket, baseball etc when I've come off the playing field thinking how can we have played so badly, our attitude was good it's the same team that played well for the last couple of weeks yet we just couldn't get it together, I can think of several games where I, still have no explanation for the losses. Not being up for it in my opinion is different, that indicates a lack of commitment and I haven't seen that. We should've won a lot more games we haven't because of mistakes at key moments. If you've got a different interpretation that's fine, mine is based from my own experiences of playing several sports and knowing the difference between a flat performance and not being up for it.

We have a young manager who is learning his trade. It is obvious that any young manager will make mistakes but the important thing is Flynn learns from it.

The problem all season has been the midfield , Bakinson has potential , but it's unfair to expect too much , Wilmott is excellent out wide but has been forced to play out of position, Sheehan, he clearly does not trust , Dolan has hardly been fit, Labadie is just getting match fitness , Bennett has been excellent all season but looks tired, Crofts and KMB have been disastrous signings and we have hardly contributed goals from midfield.

Amond and Matt have been excellent signings and the back 4/5 looks pretty settled.

If we can sort out the midfield this summer, and not be so open away from home , then next season looks promising, for that to happen Flynn needs to learn from this seasons brittle away performances and to strengthen in midfield in my opinion.

supporter wrote:Having played a lot of team sports Stan and as explained earlier from my day's playing for Pill I played in a lot of football, rugby, cricket, baseball etc when I've come off the playing field thinking how can we have played so badly, our attitude was good it's the same team that played well for the last couple of weeks yet we just couldn't get it together, I can think of several games where I, still have no explanation for the losses. Not being up for it in my opinion is different, that indicates a lack of commitment and I haven't seen that. We should've won a lot more games we haven't because of mistakes at key moments. If you've got a different interpretation that's fine, mine is based from my own experiences of playing several sports and knowing the difference between a flat performance and not being up for it.
I have no problem with people having different interpretation of terms. Especially one as ambiguous as 'not being up for it'. Where I have a problem with Daftas, not you, is that he applied his interpretation to demand apologies.

Moving on. I agree that for unknown reasons performance can be flat. I too remember losing at sports and wondering why my performance was so bad. Admittedly I was usually mediocre. However County are turning in flat performances too often. Now there is a reason. I don't know what it is but my view is that it is happening too often to be just one of those things.

Worried
Yes

Keep hearing we are improving.

Just to make a slight improvement on last season

We need 16 points from last 10 games
10 goal advantage in those games to improve GD
Climb 3 places.
Everyone said Colchester were class Saturday got stuffed last night at home 3-0 by FGR
We did not have one shot on goal last night yet have heard we played well.
thank goodness for a great first third to the season as we are currently on Relegation form.
We are safe but as regards making progress just cannot see it.
happy for you lads who think its all a bed of Roses though.
Poor Frank got a red last night 2 yellows.
What a cracking goal Saturday.
has his critics but the fella on his day is class at our level.

Last 10 league games played by Newport County ( away )

Pld 10 Won 1 Drawn 0 Lost 9 Goals For 10 Goals Against 21 Points 3

Our only victory was against the club at the bottom of the Football League who have been a basket case all season.

That's making progress is it ?????

As I posted many weeks ago. Was it the Cup that is saving Flynn from any abuse/ criticism as its certainly not our league form since Christmas.
Last edited by neilcork68 on March 13th, 2019, 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

neilcork68 wrote:Last 10 league games played by Newport County ( home and away )

Our only victory was against the club at the bottom of the Football League who have been a basket case all season.

And now you're inventing stats to build an argument? How weird.

In the last 10 games we've beaten Notts County, Carlisle and Mansfield that I can think of, there may be more I can't remember without looking.

rncfc wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Last 10 league games played by Newport County ( home and away )

In the last 10 games we've beaten Notts County, Carlisle and Mansfield that I can think of, there may be more I can't remember without looking.
Sorry I meant away not both :oops:

We are in 16th place in the form table for both ...W4,D1,L5 with a minus 3 goal difference...still not good.IMO

And there are fans thinking we can make the play offs
Last edited by neilcork68 on March 13th, 2019, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

neilcork68 wrote:
rncfc wrote:

Sorry I meant away not both :oops:
Lol, that makes sense then I guess!

We're certainly crap away from home, that's for sure.

neilcork68 wrote:Why is it we are crap away from home ?

We can go to Middlesbrough and get a draw but cant compete with teams at our level.......??????????????
Neil,

I get that. I am though at a loss as to how you, me and anyone who is not utterly myopic with regard to Newport County can get that across to a group on here who will find an excuse no matter what happens.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Why is it we are crap away from home ?

We can go to Middlesbrough and get a draw but cant compete with teams at our level.......??????????????
Neil,

I get that. I am though at a loss as to how you, me and anyone who is not utterly myopic with regard to Newport County can get that across to a group on here who will find an excuse no matter what happens.
We have a poor away record, I don't think anyone is finding excuses for it. Obviously we need to try and win more games away from home if we're going to become anything more than a mid-table side, but until that happens I personally am not hugely unhappy with being a mid-table side who has an explosive FA Cup run every season.

supporter wrote:Flat performances sometimes happen in all sports, not being up for it questions the attitude. I was at Colchester Saturday it was a flat performance but you could tell the players were gutted at the end and I've never seen a bad attitude from them.
Right, so the difference is only really discernable at the final whistle. Following a flat performance the players are gutted? Following a performance when the team weren't up for it they just troop off? Aye, I think I get that.

Wow, lower league team get results against higher league opposition in the cup but don’t win every game against opponents in the same league & a team having a better home record than away.. surely that’s never happened before!?

Oh yes, of course it has and always will, because that’s football for you. Not just a ‘Newport County thing’ :roll: