Re: Worrying ?

Exile 1976 wrote:Wow, lower league team get results against higher league opposition in the cup but don’t win every game against opponents in the same league & a team having a better home record than away.. surely that’s never happened before!?

Oh yes, of course it has and always will, because that’s football for you. Not just a ‘Newport County thing’ :roll:
I think that you are missing the point. Clearly in any league campaign there will be ups and downs. However our performance against five teams who play well above our level shows that County have ability. That we will on occasions put in a poor performance is inevitable. But nine defeats in ten away games is in my view not a blip but a worrying statistic.

We've lost because we've made mistakes. I can only go on what i've seen and how we didn't pick anything up at Lincoln and Swindon in particular is still baffling me. I've stated elsewhere many other games where we just shot ourselves in the foot and that period we went through where we were giving teams a 1 or 2 goal lead in the firt 5-10 minutes didn't help though we did manage to fightback in a few of those games.

I reckon we've chucked away 15 points in games we were the better side.

I don't think the cup has saved MF from criticism because he was getting slated anyway by the usual suspects. The clubs transformed in his and his managements teams time here along with a fantastic effort from the players and that's with a supposedly bottom 3 budget. Last season we fell just short of our best ever points tally since we returned and if we can't make the playoffs which is looking difficult then i'd love us to pass that total.

We've got a great platform to build from and I think expectancy will be raised next season which I agree with from an ambition point of view. It's frustrating but I wouldn't swap the Leicester game, Dolans injurytime equaliser at Boro and the 2 goals we scored in the replay and to then put the club on the world stage against Man City will live in the memory for a long time.

If we don't make the playoffs then lets get beat the points total that was achieved with a much higher budget.

supporter wrote:We've lost because we've made mistakes. I can only go on what i've seen and how we didn't pick anything up at Lincoln and Swindon in particular is still baffling me. I've stated elsewhere many other games where we just shot ourselves in the foot and that period we went through where we were giving teams a 1 or 2 goal lead in the firt 5-10 minutes didn't help though we did manage to fightback in a few of those games.

I reckon we've chucked away 15 points in games we were the better side.

I don't think the cup has saved MF from criticism because he was getting slated anyway by the usual suspects. The clubs transformed in his and his managements teams time here along with a fantastic effort from the players and that's with a supposedly bottom 3 budget. Last season we fell just short of our best ever points tally since we returned and if we can't make the playoffs which is looking difficult then i'd love us to pass that total.

We've got a great platform to build from and I think expectancy will be raised next season which I agree with from an ambition point of view. It's frustrating but I wouldn't swap the Leicester game, Dolans injurytime equaliser at Boro and the 2 goals we scored in the replay and to then put the club on the world stage against Man City will live in the memory for a long time.

If we don't make the playoffs then lets get beat the points total that was achieved with a much higher budget.
Anyone can be unlucky. However when you keep being unlucky you are doing something wrong.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Wow, lower league team get results against higher league opposition in the cup but don’t win every game against opponents in the same league & a team having a better home record than away.. surely that’s never happened before!?

Oh yes, of course it has and always will, because that’s football for you. Not just a ‘Newport County thing’ :roll:
I think that you are missing the point. Clearly in any league campaign there will be ups and downs. However our performance against five teams who play well above our level shows that County have ability. That we will on occasions put in a poor performance is inevitable. But nine defeats in ten away games is in my view not a blip but a worrying statistic.

Oh here we go again, not missing the point Brendan. Yes we’ve beaten teams (albeit much changed from their league games) in cup games, many, many, teams do, it’s the ‘magic’ of the cup etc ........for eg: Burton got to semi final of the League cup this year, beating sides higher up the pyramid but sit 11th in League 1.
We didn’t win ANY League Cup or FA Cup games against higher league teams away from home this season, with all our victories coming at home. Our home form is very good. Away form not so good, but certainly not the worst in League 2. Hey, that is football. Some teams better at home than away and some the other way.
Last edited by Exile 1976 on March 13th, 2019, 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I have never said the team that MF has assembled doesnt have ability.( results against the top sides we have faced has proved that..It does however lack something because of our form and inability to compete week after week.
Too many times this season we have been found wanting and at the moment MF doesnt seem to know the answers to the questions being asked of him.
Yes he is a young inexperienced manager learning his trade but what will he do to alter things on Friday...One , possibly two changes at most unless injuries , suspensions force him to( Bakinson will be dropped for Azeez because we are home as an example) , he will stick to the same formation of fitting round pegs into square holes( Wilmott playing in a three man midfield when he is a winger as another)
IMO it doesn't matter what anyone thinks the season is over now...( play off chances ) so he should use the rest of the season to build for next season....give Sheehan a long run in the side...3 or 4 games to see if he is what is needed next year otherwise get shot of, give others a chance to see if they are up to it as well , then he will have a better idea who he wants to retain in May. By now he should know the players well enough to know what they can do but try little partnerships that might work rather than sticking to the same 'core '
As well as Bennett has played as a midfielder , I still see him as a centre half, Demetriou used to look good for Kidderminster as a leftback or left wing back, try him there to see if he is any good in that position in the Football League. Try Butler in Midfield as he is far better attacking than he is defending. STOP playing Amond in midfield, play him as a striker , his best position.
All ideas he now has the chance to try out in the remaining matches

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Oh here we go again, not missing the point Brendan. Yes we’ve beaten teams (albeit much changed from their league games) in cup games, many, many, teams do, it’s the ‘magic’ of the cup etc for eg: Burton got to semi final of the League cup beating sides higher up the pyramid but sit 11th in League 1.
We didn’t win ANY League Cup or FA Cup games against higher league teams away from home this season, with all our victories coming at home. Our home form is very good. Away form not so good, but certainly not the worst in League 2. Hey, that is football. Some teams better at home than away and some the other way.
'Not so good'?

Nine defeats in ten away games, not so good?

Come on.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Oh here we go again, not missing the point Brendan. Yes we’ve beaten teams (albeit much changed from their league games) in cup games, many, many, teams do, it’s the ‘magic’ of the cup etc for eg: Burton got to semi final of the League cup beating sides higher up the pyramid but sit 11th in League 1.
'Not so good'?

Nine defeats in ten away games, not so good?

Come on.

We’ve won 4, drawn 3, lost 12 of our away league games. Not good. Awful, if it makes you happy Brendan, and still there are 5 teams with a worse away record than us.

neilcork68 wrote:Only 1 who have lost more games than us( Macclesfield - 13 ) and one who have conceded more goals( Notts County 43 ) and they are the bottom two sides in the Football League

Points make prizes Corky me old mucca, and there are 5 sides that have gained less away points than us.
Oh and there are 9 teams that have scored less away goals than us.

Exile 1976 wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:Only 1 who have lost more games than us( Macclesfield - 13 ) and one who have conceded more goals( Notts County 43 ) and they are the bottom two sides in the Football League

Points make prizes Corky me old mucca, and there are 5 sides that have gained less away points than us.

18 who have better records though......

And still some think the playoffs are possible :shock:

Thank f eck for the mud bath that is commonly known as Rodney Parade :lol: ...We would be down with the basket cases that are known as Notts County and Macclesfield otherwise fighting for our survival

neilcork68 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

18 who have better records though......

And still some think the playoffs are possible :shock:

Thank f eck for the mud bath that is commonly known as Rodney Parade :lol: ...We would be down with the basket cases that are known as Notts County and Macclesfield otherwise fighting for our survival

Only 6 teams with better home records than us though.
Not sure why people think we can get play offs, I thought we’d finish mid table even when we were flying, we are though a lot closer points wise to play offs than relegation though.

supporter wrote:We've never looked like a relegation threatened side and I think a lot of clubs would swap places for our financial position. Away form has been quoted but out of interest where are we in the home form table?

Only 6 teams have more home points than we do and each of them have played at least one more home game than us so far.

Bury p: 18 pts 41
Mansfield p: 18 pts 40
Tranmere p: 19 pts 40
Lincoln p: 19 pts 40
MK Dons p: 18 pts 39
Crewe p: 18 pts 35

Then there’s Colchester (19) and Newport County (17) on 34 pts

Add Wrexham Leicester and boro, playoff form at home bottom end form away and again having watched all the away games that saw us go second I still can't get my head around the reason for the decline because we were executing near perfect away performances in this period. Highly unlikely but top 6 home form gives us a chance and 4 of the bottom 6 away, if not then let's break the record which let's not forget came with a higher budget and no fa cup run.

As inspired by NGR.. I present: Away Form: A County Managers Tale.

Justin - 13 Win - 23 Draws - 24 Losses.
60 points from 180 = 34.44%
Win % = 20.96%

Dack - 4 Wins - 1 Draw - 4 Losses.
13 Points from 27 = 48.15%
Win % = 44.44%

Butcher - 1 Win - 1 Draw - 3 Losses
4 Points from 15 = 26.66%
Win % = 20%

Sheridan - 2 Wins - 2 Draws - 3 Losses
8 Points from 21 = 38.09%
Win % = 28.57%

Feeney - 4 Wins - 3 Draws - 9 Losses
15 Points from 48 - 31.25%
Win % = 25%

Westley - 2 Wins - 2 Draws - 7 Losses
8 Points from 33 - 24.24%
Win % = 18.18%

Flynn - 14 Wins - 9 Draws - 24 Losses
51 Points from 141 - 36.17%
Win % - 29.79%

So not only the best away record, 2 memorable cup runs, £1m in the bank (There better had be), profile of the club through the roof etc etc..

He might not be a tactical genius, don't think anyone thinks that. It could always be better, no one doubts that. Is it fair to say that things have never been better? It is arguable.

And progress? Yes. From some of the shite we had served up since Edinburgh.

- Messed up Justin's stats.. it was a lower %
Last edited by Papski on March 13th, 2019, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.