Re: Worrying ?

Papski wrote:As inspired by NGR.. I present: Away Form: A County Managers Tale.

Justin - 9 Win - 13 Draws - 15 Losses.
40 points from 111 = 36.03%
Win % = 24.32

Dack - 4 Wins - 1 Draw - 4 Losses.
13 Points from 27 = 48.15%
Win % = 44.44%

Butcher - 1 Win - 1 Draw - 3 Losses
4 Points from 15 = 26.66%
Win % = 20%

Sheridan - 2 Wins - 2 Draws - 3 Losses
8 Points from 21 = 38.09%
Win % = 28.57%

Feeney - 4 Wins - 3 Draws - 9 Losses
15 Points from 48 - 31.25%
Win % = 25%

Westley - 2 Wins - 2 Draws - 7 Losses
8 Points from 33 - 24.24%
Win % = 18.18%

Flynn - 14 Wins - 9 Draws - 24 Losses
51 Points from 141 - 36.17%
Win % - 29.79%

So not only the best away record, 2 memorable cup runs, £1m in the bank (There better had be), profile of the club through the roof etc etc..

He might not be a tactical genius, don't think anyone thinks that. It could always be better, no one doubts that. Is it fair to say that things have never been better? It is arguable.

And progress? Yes. From some of the shite we had served up since Edinburgh.

Check your own figures before you make a statement like you have...MF is 3rd in the list of having the best away record of those you list not 1st

Jimmy, Jimmy, oh Jimmy Dack, when are you coming back? :D

Ironically Jimbo's superior away form dropped us out of the play-offs that year and if we're championing Sheridan over Flynn based on that sample size then times must be bad.

But the overall message, that was missed, is that our League away form since coming back has never really been great and the Flynn hate seems like overkill in the context of the clubs best period in 30 years.

Papski wrote:Jimmy, Jimmy, oh Jimmy Dack, when are you coming back? :D

Ironically Jimbo's superior away form dropped us out of the play-offs that year and if we're championing Sheridan over Flynn based on that sample size then times must be bad.

But the overall message, that was missed, is that our League away form since coming back has never really been great and the Flynn hate seems like overkill in the context of the clubs best period in 30 years.
Flynn hate? Where the f*** did that come from. Who said they hated MF? Don't recall that.

Papski wrote:Jimmy, Jimmy, oh Jimmy Dack, when are you coming back? :D

I have never seen a single post that showed hate towards Flynn. In fact I can't think of a post calling for his head. Even by the sycophantic standards of 'loyals' this is the best yet.

Little note. This is a football message board. Being a manager or player or official of our club means that sometimes you will get praise and sometimes criticism. Newport County are really struggling in away league fixtures and have been doing do for a fair few months. Hence the criticism.

Papski wrote:Fair. Hate is a strong word. My interpretation of the criticism is that there would be calls for his head if it wasn't for the cup run and strong start to the season.
I don't recall County having a bad season, but people interpreted that if we didn't have a good start to the season and a cup run we'd be having a bad season.

As per my post, we have been struggling with away fixtures since being back in the league. I don't expect it to improve on what I believed was a restricted budget this season.

Also, little note, as this is a football message board. Supporters are allowed to support managers or player or officials of our club when they have produced the BEST period of the reformed club. Hence the support.

What has been achieved by a group of players that have been largely taken on by free transfers and loans by a rookie manager has been nothing short of fantastic. You are damn right I am loyal. We are blessed, BLESSED to still be in the football league and now flourishing.

That's a good point Papski has made about away form since we returned. For me the main comparison is between Edinburgh and MF because they are the only 2 with over 100 games. MF has managed more away games and has a better record than an experienced manager who had a much higher budget. Going forward then the away form has to improve if we are ever going to be a top 7 side, but again in comparison to all the other managers MF's record stands up and in direct comparison to the only manager with a comparable games played tally he is better.

MF has overseen the best period in the clubs recent history and I believe without the cup runs we'd probably have a minimum of 6 more points and would be right in the playoff hunt, we'd be in a weaker financial position but yes we would be in with more chance of being in the playoffs.

Papski wrote:
Papski wrote:Fair. Hate is a strong word. My interpretation of the criticism is that there would be calls for his head if it wasn't for the cup run and strong start to the season.
I don't recall County having a bad season, but people interpreted that if we didn't have a good start to the season and a cup run we'd be having a bad season.

As per my post, we have been struggling with away fixtures since being back in the league. I don't expect it to improve on what I believed was a restricted budget this season.

Also, little note, as this is a football message board. Supporters are allowed to support managers or player or officials of our club when they have produced the BEST period of the reformed club. Hence the support.

What has been achieved by a group of players that have been largely taken on by free transfers and loans by a rookie manager has been nothing short of fantastic. You are damn right I am loyal. We are blessed, BLESSED to still be in the football league and now flourishing.
You seem to be arguing against yourself. Who questioned your loyalty? Not me. Not anyone as fas as I can recall. It is superb to see emotion from County fans and there are many more on this board and in the wider community who love the club and have done so for a long time - me included.

You seem quite certain of what you think people's interpretation of a good and bad season is, hmmm.

Please don't fall into the trap of others whereby criticism of the club or the team is seen as ill feeling towards both. It is not.

supporter wrote:MF has managed more away games and has a better record than an experienced manager who had a much higher budget.
Thank you. :cheers: Why do we think that our away form in general is this standard? What away form could we generate with a higher budget or even better infrastructure? The reason I find it hard for the team to take this criticism, not that they are above it, is that we have clearly punched well above our weight this season and short of going down, I feel positive about what we could achieve going forward, if things are handled rightly this summer.
pembsexile wrote: Who questioned your loyalty?.
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Even by the sycophantic standards of 'loyals' this is the best yet.
pembsexile wrote: You seem quite certain of what you think people's interpretation of a good and bad season is
neilcork68 wrote:If it wasnt for our early season form , the cup run and the money we have banked this board would be more active criticising MF as our form since the turn of the year is poor..
Which reads- If we wasn't having such a good season, we'd be having a poor season.

People can criticise whoever and whatever they want about anything. I am just contextualising the situation. I, clearly, don't expect certain members to buy my brand of bull. People were dumping on the club when the sun shined brightest on the us this season, I don't expect to win them around now we got a little rain.

The thing nobody seems to have picked up on, is that the cups are more important than the league for us. Without firstly the great escape and then the cup runs we would almost certainly be bankrupt by now. We are patently prioritising the cups over the league because we have to.

rncfc wrote:The thing nobody seems to have picked up on, is that the cups are more important than the league for us. Without firstly the great escape and then the cup runs we would almost certainly be bankrupt by now. We are patently prioritising the cups over the league because we have to.

Agree with this. It seems to me that currently cup runs or selling of players are our only means of financial survival in the EFL. Presumably our profit/loss for end of season 2018 will be published shortly; and given it has been widely predicted that the club made circa £700,000 from our cup run from 2017/2018 this should indicate what our losses would have been without that cup run. Therefore given our profit from this seasons cup run we should be in a better position to speculate what monies we will have to increase player budget and/or improve infrastructure and/or bank some of the money to safeguard against potential losses in future seasons. I'm sure there will be many varied and diverse opinions on the way forward.

Based on the assumption we are safe from relegation this season of course.

i found the use of the word loyal in a negative, insulting and divergent manner curious so looked up some antonyms to try to understand where it was coming from

i found

disloyal
undependable
unreliable
untrustworthy
false
fickle
traitorous
treacherous
recreant
untrue
irresponsible