Re: Birmingham vs Aston Villa

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:The person who committed the assault has now pleaded guilty. You can all now comment.

For me I think that for whatever reason some people behave in a way which I don't understand. For most of us, jokes about rivals are merely banter. Unfortunately for some individuals it becomes real.

Not defending what this person did. But he strikes me as a very sad individual. Condemn his actions but he is somebody's son and as such is, in the true sense of the word, pathetic.
Not being funny at you Bren but he basically had to plead guilty the evidence was rather overwhelming
Not being funny but until he pleaded guilty he was entitled to be presumed innocent.
Also it was and possibility still is the case that he may have severe problems with mental illness. He clearly has problems of some kind.

I'm with the Quakers on this one. Hate the sin not the sinner.
Not just the Quakers. All Christians believe that (if they are really following Christ).

Exile 1976 wrote:14 weeks. What a load of shite
At the end of the day it was a section 39 common assault. The maximum penalty is 26 weeks. His early guilty plea means he has to receive a one third discount. 18 weeks is the maximum he could have received. If he was of hitherto good character 14 weeks is at the top of the range.

He will serve a maximum of seven weeks. My view a suspended sentence and 200 hours community service with a requirement to attend an anger management course might have been a better way of dealing with is.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

He will serve a maximum of seven weeks. My view a suspended sentence and 200 hours community service with a requirement to attend an anger management course might have been a better way of dealing with is.

Hmmm! Not much of a deterrent that tho mate for any fruit cake to think oh I know what I will do run on the pitch and punch an opo player or the ref I will only get community service

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Hmmm! Not much of a deterrent that tho mate for any fruit cake to think oh I know what I will do run on the pitch and punch an opo player or the ref I will only get community service
The thing is that the offence was one which happens every day in every town in the UK. An unprovoked punch.

Does he deserve to be punished? Yes.

Now a suspended sentence, known in the trade as a 'bender' means that any infraction of the criminal law and he can be banged up, which is a deterrent. Eight hours every Saturday doing conservation work pays his debt to society. And for the next six months he pays a price. And a anger management course can usefully take up an evening a week.

As it is your taxes can keep him fed and watered for a few weeks.

Alan G Bryant wrote:

Without wishing to condone what he did it is interesting that when the roles were reversed and Eric Cantona assaulted a supporter, he did not go to prison.

He probably should have. One person who definitely should have gone to prison for his actions on the pitch was Ben Thatcher for his disgraceful elbow on Pedro Mendes.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Alan G Bryant wrote:

Without wishing to condone what he did it is interesting that when the roles were reversed and Eric Cantona assaulted a supporter, he did not go to prison.

He probably should have. One person who definitely should have gone to prison for his actions on the pitch was Ben Thatcher for his disgraceful elbow on Pedro Mendes.
The magistrate did pass an immediate custodial sentence, which was overturned on appeal. He was granted bail pending the outcome of his appeal against sentence.

For a common assault a custodial sentence for a first offence is rare, his victim did not suffer injury, and Cantona had been provoked by racist abuse.

Also his punishment was to coach young kids at football. In my view a far better way of dealing with this type of incident. Sending people to prison for short periods, is in my view, a complete waste of time and money. Better by far to make people make amends for their wrongdoing. Unfortunately the UK seems to be stuck on the idea that prison is the only solution. For minor offences it isn't.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
penycwm county wrote:
give him a brush and make him clean the stadium for the rest of the season
Many a true word.

Personally I'd make it three seasons and put him on toilet cleaning.
I am not sure how far we can take the humiliation idea in regards to punishment, but I would make him clean the toilets of the stadium of the fan he attacked. How would he explain that one to his mates?