How do you feel when winning 1-0?

Good Evening..,

Following on a point raised on the Cheltenham Grandstand thread. I was thinking how I feel at different points in the game with different score lines.

At the start, it’s 0-0, I am usually fine with that!

We score reasonably early and then I get nervous, we have something to lose and I fear we will!

They score reasonably early and I’m not overly worried, I know we are capable of scoring, just a matter of time

The longer 0-0 goes on I get edgy, the other team will nick it near the end.. yes indeed , As at Northampton!

We get a 2-0 lead and I’m still edgy, just one goal for them and they get the momentum, we will collapse and lose 3-2!

They go 2-0 and I’m feeling a bit fed up, just one bit of luck needed to get back in with a chance, optimistic is probably too strong but not totally given up

At 1-1 it’s back to the 0-0 feeling! Don’t try and hang on but go for it!

Rarely.., it’s 3-0. Relax? No Chance! Got to get that fourth... there’s a bet on it!

At 4-0 we are brilliant, so brilliant I fear we get the fifth, bet lost and between £50-£150 gone missing! ( Actual loss £1)

So I don’t think I ever get to relax when watching/listening to the County!

Phil in Npton

Re: How do you feel when winning 1-0?

Your last sentence sums it up for me Phil. I never relax with the County, sometimes I don't even enjoy it. The result is everything.

I know performance increases the chances of a good result but I would take a scrappy 1-0 league win over a well fought out draw all the time. The opposition have a part to play and it depends on what the other team do obviously but like in most sport it is up to you to take your chances.

So, in answer to your question, I feel superb when we are 1-0 up in the 96th minute and the ref has his whistle in his mouth about to blow the final whistle. :grin: Relax, and deep breaths then.

Good Morning

I watched the FA cup game yesterday between Millwall and Brighton and think that sums it up totally, the two extremes of emotions suffered by both sets of fans in the same match.
2-0 up in the 88th minute and then losing out on a Wembley semi final. The match was draining to watch as a neutral, imagine being a fan of one of the two teams!
It also demonstrated to me why I love the game so much, it had everything, so dramatic. Not every game is like that, but every game has the potential for such drama, that’s why I love it!

And I think I am probably most calm when we are 0-3 and without hope. At peace with the world knowing next time might be better!

Phil in Northampton

I’m with Phil on this, I’m never certain we’ll win. We seem to me to have an enormous capacity to f*ck things up which opinion is not borne out by recent facts. In fact the last dozen years or so have been a fabulous time to be a County supporter , our record-breaking promotion to the Conference, our Wembley appearances, back to the league, FA Cup runs etc.
I’ve tried to analyse why I’m always such a bag of nerves and it just seems to me that it’s because it’s extremely seldom that we are winning games at a canter, when are we ever 3 up with ten minutes to go? Notts County away? - and I wasn’t even there :(

I feel the same at 1-0 up as a do at any other score within 2 goals, which is that anything could happen yet. Our performance at Lincoln after going 2 down in the first 15 minutes showed we can compete with anyone in the division but our lack of consistency recently has been infuriating, though I don't think the insistence on picking the exact same side for 3 games in 7 days helps.