Re: DRAGONS TO GO PRIVATE - PLANS FOR CABBAGE PATCH FULL ART

faerun exile wrote:While the city centre location at RP is desirable it doesn’t address the fact that even with a state of the art hybrid pitch the playing surface for half the season is crap. Coming round to the idea that due to the ongoing mess that Welsh club and regional rugby currently is, Spytty may be the better long term option where we could have a decent pitch, training facilities, shop, ticket office, social club etc etc.
I have to accept , that it is a fact we have a crap playing surface for half the season with 3 teams playing on it. Is this inevitable? I don't pretend to have an answer for it, but do note that the Bristol City and Swansea city also share with a rugby team and appear to have much better playing surfaces. Is this due to them having better maintenance equipment; grow lamps, mechanical deep aerators etc, or would even that not improve matters because of the extra usage of 3 teams as opposed to 2? Obviously a playing surface exclusively for Football would be far easier to maintain to a decent standard.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
rncfc wrote:The WRU have made it clear that whatever the future for ownership of the Dragons, they will not be selling Rodney Parade. Read the 5th paragraph;

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... -phillips/
I saw this also mcfc, unfortunately many posters on this subject appear to have lost the ability to distinguish between their opinions and facts. I've read many categoric statements of what the Dragons/ WRU/Council are thinking and what they will do. Some of which may well turn out to be true, but would suggest they are at best guesses. Whilst personally hoping that both professional rugby and football can continue sustainably at RP in the long term, I certainly don't know if that will be possible. I am confident however. I will continue to maintain the mental capacity to differentiate between my opinions and fact.
How does that statement enable you to maintain the mental capacity to differentiate between opinions and fact?
All its says is that "Rodney Parade would remain a Union asset" -

For how long?
To what extent?
Does it in any way answer our tenancy situation?

It doesn't say they'll never sell, or part(s) of it, or extend our tenancy based on primacy of use, or any other scenario that people base opinions on.

rncfc wrote:Spytty would be the end for us as a league club in my opinion, unless huge investment was made into the place and surrounding area. That running track would have to go somehow for starters, and the travel links would need to be improved massively - subsidised, regular travel by bus (and who knows, maybe train in the near future).

Even after that, I still think we'd lose 15-20% of our support base, purely because of how awful the location is. You just can't make a day/afternoon of the occasion at Spytty. As hard as it might be for some people to understand, the current location is good because you can pop out and see your mates for a few hours and have a few drinks beforehand and it becomes a social event, rather than just turning up in a wind tunnel and watching the match only.

Whatever people's views might be of that, it is an undeniable fact. A lot of our fans would be put off at the prospect I'd say, and I'd be one of them.
Without a massive improvement in transport links for all matches, perhaps even a dedicated shuttle bus service, a return to Spytty would rule me out of pretty much all evening K.O.'s....
But here's the thing: we're keeping Spytty as some sort of crash mat to fall back on, but have we approached the Council?...Have we checked it's available and we'd even be welcome back there as a playing venue, and if so, what would it cost to bring it up to standard?...how long would it take?...and who pays? Have we looked into any of that, and if so, can we at least be told something to that effect?
Cos I think, we're out on our arse whatever happens/ and I think they'll give us the bare minimum amount of notice to quit, just to be awkward. Now, are we actually DOING anything about any of this?

whoareya wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
rncfc wrote:The WRU have made it clear that whatever the future for ownership of the Dragons, they will not be selling Rodney Parade. Read the 5th paragraph;

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport ... -phillips/
I saw this also mcfc, unfortunately many posters on this subject appear to have lost the ability to distinguish between their opinions and facts. I've read many categoric statements of what the Dragons/ WRU/Council are thinking and what they will do. Some of which may well turn out to be true, but would suggest they are at best guesses. Whilst personally hoping that both professional rugby and football can continue sustainably at RP in the long term, I certainly don't know if that will be possible. I am confident however. I will continue to maintain the mental capacity to differentiate between my opinions and fact.
How does that statement enable you to maintain the mental capacity to differentiate between opinions and fact?
All its says is that "Rodney Parade would remain a Union asset" -

For how long?
To what extent?
Does it in any way answer our tenancy situation?

It doesn't say they'll never sell, or part(s) of it, or extend our tenancy based on primacy of use, or any other scenario that people base opinions on.
That statement doesn't enable me to differentiate between opinions and fact, and that's not what I meant. Apologies if I didn't explain myself well enough.

newgroundrodney wrote:
rncfc wrote:Spytty would be the end for us as a league club in my opinion, unless huge investment was made into the place and surrounding area. That running track would have to go somehow for starters, and the travel links would need to be improved massively - subsidised, regular travel by bus (and who knows, maybe train in the near future).

Even after that, I still think we'd lose 15-20% of our support base, purely because of how awful the location is. You just can't make a day/afternoon of the occasion at Spytty. As hard as it might be for some people to understand, the current location is good because you can pop out and see your mates for a few hours and have a few drinks beforehand and it becomes a social event, rather than just turning up in a wind tunnel and watching the match only.

Whatever people's views might be of that, it is an undeniable fact. A lot of our fans would be put off at the prospect I'd say, and I'd be one of them.
Without a massive improvement in transport links for all matches, perhaps even a dedicated shuttle bus service, a return to Spytty would rule me out of pretty much all evening K.O.'s....
But here's the thing: we're keeping Spytty as some sort of crash mat to fall back on, but have we approached the Council?...Have we checked it's available and we'd even be welcome back there as a playing venue, and if so, what would it cost to bring it up to standard?...how long would it take?...and who pays? Have we looked into any of that, and if so, can we at least be told something to that effect?
Cos I think, we're out on our arse whatever happens/ and I think they'll give us the bare minimum amount of notice to quit, just to be awkward. Now, are we actually DOING anything about any of this?

Kevin Ward is a trustee of Newport Live, set up to operate the Council's leisure facilities on a not for profit basis. That includes the Newport Stadium.

http://www.newportlive.co.uk/about/trustee-profiles

I think it safe to say that the Club is fully aware of the requirements to use the stadium in the future.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:If yes, what?
From Model Rules for a Community Owned Sport Club..

34. A special general meeting called in response to a members’ requisition must be held within
28 days of the date on which the requisition is delivered to the registered office. The meeting
is not to transact any business other than that set out in the requisition and the notice
convening the meeting.

This is what we (the supporters/owners) should be doing.

Papski wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:If yes, what?
From Model Rules for a Community Owned Sport Club..

34. A special general meeting called in response to a members’ requisition must be held within
28 days of the date on which the requisition is delivered to the registered office. The meeting
is not to transact any business other than that set out in the requisition and the notice
convening the meeting.

This is what we (the supporters/owners) should be doing.
We don’t need to call a special meeting as there is already a stated commitment to hold a meeting in the first quarter of 2019. Oh hang on!

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:We don’t need to call a special meeting as there is already a stated commitment to hold a meeting in the first quarter of 2019. Oh hang on!
If/when this meeting takes place, we need to show this is a major concern for the fan base and we will not accept "Confidential" as an answer to the issue. Clearly it is THE biggest issue we face as a club and the one that stirs up the most debate, but the hypotheticals need to stop and the supporters need to be engaged and made to feel there is a real incentive to be a supporter owned club, which hopefully will increase the trust membership in turn.

Papski wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:We don’t need to call a special meeting as there is already a stated commitment to hold a meeting in the first quarter of 2019. Oh hang on!
If/when this meeting takes place, we need to show this is a major concern for the fan base and we will not accept "Confidential" as an answer to the issue. Clearly it is THE biggest issue we face as a club and the one that stirs up the most debate, but the hypotheticals need to stop and the supporters need to be engaged and made to feel there is a real incentive to be a supporter owned club, which hopefully will increase the trust membership in turn.
There are some things that are not hypothetical, RP is currently first choice, Spytty reluctant choice, other grounds desperation choice. However in terms of negotiation we do have other options, and that is important. Largely the WRU are unable to discuss what happens next until their own issues with the Regions have been resolved.

As regards knowing what is being discussed, I personally don't want that level of information. Why? well these things have a habit of getting out of control. What maybee starts out as the Ospreys considering other options, suddenly gets made public and all hell breaks loose.

Bangitintrnet wrote:There are some things that are not hypothetical, RP is currently first choice, Spytty reluctant choice, other grounds desperation choice. However in terms of negotiation we do have other options, and that is important. Largely the WRU are unable to discuss what happens next until their own issues with the Regions have been resolved.
I hear that. Where do the choices begin and end is my concern. How long can we wait for the WRU to sort their issues out, if they ever do. Do our choices become limited whilst we wait? Too late to redevelop Spytty and the WRU jack our rent up? Surely only promotion or another cup run can improve the hand we have now vs the remaining years on the lease.

On top of that. I don't see how we can sell our club to investors on the proposed 'Hybrid Model' (or any model) with this uncertainty and would assume if there are no backers ,come our meeting, that we are in no mans land regarding that too.
Bangitintrnet wrote:As regards knowing what is being discussed, I personally don't want that level of information. Why? well these things have a habit of getting out of control. What maybee starts out as the Ospreys considering other options, suddenly gets made public and all hell breaks loose.
Again a fair point. The flip side for me is without knowing the direction we are headed, I find it difficult to up my donations to the club. No communication can be just as bad as poor communication.

I don't believe the lure of a vote in the elections every 2/3 years and priority tickets is enough to get more casual supporters to part with a minimum £60 a year to fund the club as things stand.

Everything could be roses though. Good news could be in the Argus tomorrow and I can go back to happy clapping. I am sure the board are on the case. This felt sarcastic reading back but I am genuine.
Last edited by Papski on March 22nd, 2019, 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Papski wrote:
There are some things that are not hypothetical, RP is currently first choice, Spytty reluctant choice, other grounds desperation choice. However in terms of negotiation we do have other options, and that is important. Largely the WRU are unable to discuss what happens next until their own issues with the Regions have been resolved.

As regards knowing what is being discussed, I personally don't want that level of information. Why? well these things have a habit of getting out of control. What maybee starts out as the Ospreys considering other options, suddenly gets made public and all hell breaks loose.
bangitintrnet. would agree with everything you say on this matter, but some re-assurance from the board that the concerns being expressed on our future location are being currently discussed, wouldn't go amiss. Unfortunately, and understandably when uncertainty and passion for the club combine, some peoples imaginations run away with them.

whoareya wrote:
newgroundrodney wrote:

Kevin Ward is a trustee of Newport Live, set up to operate the Council's leisure facilities on a not for profit basis. That includes the Newport Stadium.

I think it safe to say that the Club is fully aware of the requirements to use the stadium in the future.

This still doesn't tell me whether we've approached The Council / Newport Live to determine whether or not Spytty Park is in fact AVAILABLE to us to return to as a playing venue, should we need it. As I said, we're assuming Spytty is there as a crash mat, but is that in fact the case, or are we just assuming it is?

newgroundrodney wrote:
whoareya wrote:

This still doesn't tell me whether we've approached The Council / Newport Live to determine whether or not Spytty Park is in fact AVAILABLE to us to return to as a playing venue, should we need it. As I said, we're assuming Spytty is there as a crash mat, but is that in fact the case, or are we just assuming it is?
Well ask him then, or do as I did - send a Freedom Of Information request to the council and ask them.

You've expressed concern about transport to and from Spytty before - how about getting s bus there and a taxi back to the station?

Whenever stadium issues are discussed, the options polarize very quickly, for many it's RP or a new stadium, but they say they won't go back to Spytty.

Pathetic.

We have little leverage at RP, just as other tenants have little leverage over their landlords.

But then the demands for a new stadium and the council should help to, or entirely fund it.

THEY'VE GOT SPYTTY AND THE SPORT VILLAGE AND THE VELODROME - THEY'RE NOT GOING TO BUILD ANOTHER ONE!!!