Re: Yeovil Match

How many do we think we'll take , and where are the watering holes near the ground ?
Taking my boy for his first away game as part of his 6th birthday treat .
Won't get to Yeovil til about 2pm though , so needs to be walking distance . I've not been before

Corpaboy wrote:How many do we think we'll take , and where are the watering holes near the ground ?
Won't get to Yeovil til about 2pm though , so needs to be walking distance . I've not been before
You could try either the Bell Inn in Preston Avenue as that has real ale and a children’s play area, or the Airfield Tavern. Both are only about 1.5 miles from the ground
One note of caution about parking near the ground, road works have combined to make the normal post match traffic chaos more chaotic.

Corpaboy wrote: Taking my boy for his first away game as part of his 6th birthday treat .
Every single person who posts on this board leads a life of constant frustration. Whilst there may be the odd moment of elation it always ends in tears and besides this it has to be remembered that misery and despair are the usual.

The overwhelming majority of us became these sad suffering and pathetic individuals, and make no mistake that is what we are, because when we were about six years of age a parent, usually an already afflicted father, took us to a game.

That you are doing this great wrong is bad enough, that you choose to advertise it, incomprehensible. For God's sake man, take him to the pictures, or the seaside, or even the ballet.

Corpaboy wrote:How many do we think we'll take , and where are the watering holes near the ground ?
Good man. My boy was 6 when I took him to his first County game. We beat Staines Town 1-0 back in 2010. He hasn’t looked back since. Can’t quite remember the precise details of my first time but pretty sure it was against a team beginning with W so must be either Wigan or Walsall, 77-78 season ish. Sure it was 0-0 too. Fecking loved it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Corpaboy wrote: Taking my boy for his first away game as part of his 6th birthday treat .
Every single person who posts on this board leads a life of constant frustration. Whilst there may be the odd moment of elation it always ends in tears and besides this it has to be remembered that misery and despair are the usual.

The overwhelming majority of us became these sad suffering and pathetic individuals, and make no mistake that is what we are, because when we were about six years of age a parent, usually an already afflicted father, took us to a game.

That you are doing this great wrong is bad enough, that you choose to advertise it, incomprehensible. For God's sake man, take him to the pictures, or the seaside, or even the ballet.
I did chuckle at this Brendan. The poor boy, what a life ahead he has!! Join the club mate.

At least I was 8 when it happened to me. My father spared me a few years. Parents have a lot to answer for.

Sincerely hope you both have a great time Corpa. :cheers:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

:cheers: Too late , Stan ! He's got a season ticket :grin:

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

I did chuckle at this Brendan. The poor boy, what a life ahead he has!! Join the club mate.

At least I was 8 when it happened to me. My father spared me a few years. Parents have a lot to answer for.

Sincerely hope you both have a great time Corpa. :cheers:
Cheers , Pembs !!! :cheers:

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
You could try either the Bell Inn in Preston Avenue as that has real ale and a children’s play area, or the Airfield Tavern. Both are only about 1.5 miles from the ground
One note of caution about parking near the ground, road works have combined to make the normal post match traffic chaos more chaotic.
Cheers ! I'll look them up
UTC

Corpaboy wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Cheers ! I'll look them up
UTC
One more that I over looked is The Arrow, which is located at The Forum and is just over a mile from the ground. Should be a lot of Yeovil supporters in there and a few County I guess.

Reading the second half of this thread has got me to thinking, I wonder whether the club could investigate and trial something like a "family away day bus", which parents can book themselves and their kids onto?

Appreciate the supporters bus essentially offers this potential, but a targeted family bus could see a lot of these kids who don't know each other making new friends, solidifying their attendance at more home matches in the future, and increase the prospect of them telling their school friends how good a time they had at Yeovil, Cheltenham, or whatever it might be, and bringing more fans into the midst - young and old.

Dads could have a few slow beers, and the kids can have their fun as well.

Just a thought, and one which I haven't really kicked about in my head.

rncfc wrote:Reading the second half of this thread has got me to thinking, I wonder whether the club could investigate and trial something like a "family away day bus", which parents can book themselves and their kids onto?

Appreciate the supporters bus essentially offers this potential, but a targeted family bus could see a lot of these kids who don't know each other making new friends, solidifying their attendance at more home matches in the future, and increase the prospect of them telling their school friends how good a time they had at Yeovil, Cheltenham, or whatever it might be, and bringing more fans into the midst - young and old.

I'm sure someone linked to Bar Amber has started this up already ?
And obviously The Supporters Group with Jeff do a great job .
We certainly need to get the next generation geared up before we're all too old in the tooth .
I only mentioned the Yeovil game to my youngest boy in passing a few months back and thought no more of it . When we were organising other stuff for this weekend , he came back with "Dad .... we can't do anything on the 30th !"
"Why ?" I said
"Because we're going to Yeovil away !"

Brilliant :cheers:

rncfc wrote:Reading the second half of this thread has got me to thinking, I wonder whether the club could investigate and trial something like a "family away day bus", which parents can book themselves and their kids onto?

This is exactly the type of suggestion which the club should be in dialogue with supporters. As I have said on numerous occasions many ideas are put forward on here. Now it may well be that most ideas will not work. That doesn't matter because some will.

There should be regular meetings between the club directors and supporters. Not announcements that meetings will be held, this year, next year, sometime, never.

UPTHEPORT wrote:I think they ran family buses to Wembley for play offs or Trophy can't remember which one now
Absolutely no criticism of the coaches now being run. However I suspect that there are supporters with children who might want for a somewhat 'quieter' experience.

I simply don't know if such transport is economically viable but for me this is the type of initiative which a fans club should be taking responsibility for.

When we were not a supporter owned club I suggested that a car sharing pool might be a way of cutting travel costs, not just for Newport based fans but more for exiled supporters.

This was long before the present regime but without the support of the club it simply won't get off the ground. This is why we need regular open meetings. Meeting which are the norm. Meetings which don't take place only because there is a crisis.

I am looking forward to the manifestos which the current directors and prospective directors will be putting out for May's elections to the board.