Mathematically safe

We are on 55 points. Now, maths is not my strong point but by my calculation, from the bottom three, neither Yeovil nor Notts County can catch us as they can only get to 54 points. Macclesfield can, but that is academic.

Phew, a few beers to celebrate I think. :cheers:
Last edited by pembsexile on March 30th, 2019, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Mathematical safe

pembsexile wrote:We are on 55 points. Now, maths is not my strong point but by my calculation, from the bottom three, neither Yeovil nor Notts County can catch us as they can only get to 54 points. Macclesfield can, but that is academic.

Phew, a few beers to celebrate I think. :cheers:
Would say your maths are spot on

Re: Mathematically safe

No offence but I can’t believe you feel the need to celebrate that. Though I don’t think we will we are actually more likely to make the play offs - it’s a real negative attitude to be worried about relegation when there is no need - the club and supporters need to shake that attitude imho.

Percy plunkett wrote:Agreed,we were never really in relegation trouble because of the first few months of the season being so good.I think Pembs was a bit tongue in cheek with his comments,having said that supporting AFC is always unpredictable,so some caution is always advisable.
Mostly spot on there Percy! Two key words as well, unpredictable and caution. Both words to use when describing the County from a fan's perspective. I would also add relief.

We could go on and only drop another two points all season. We could also go on and only get another two points all season. We could also carry on in a similar position to where we are now. All three scenarios are plausible. As always with the County, expect the unexpected. :grin:

I think many fans of lower league sides have a tendency to look for their side to achieve 1) the number of points that is usually enough to prevent relegation and 2) the point in the season when it becomes mathematically impossible to be relegated.

Conversely they also look at 1) whether it is still possible to get either automatically promoted or into the play-offs and 2) when it is no longer mathematically possible to achieve either.

Looking at the table the play-off picture probably goes down to County should County win at least one of their two games in hand (and possibly 6 wins out of eight). Oldham fans probably think they may still have a chance but they are now looking at having to win at least 7 of their remaining eight games and possibly all of them. Relegation wise it's looking like any two from three but Cambridge and Crawley will be having some sleepless nights for a few weeks I would surmise...

excessbee wrote:I reckon Cambridge will be OK with their six point margin. It would take two of the three struggling teams to close that gap, however they do have a tough run in, starting with Bury on Tuesday.
I think you're right. Not just the six points but that three teams are below them. Any of those three could make up six points on Cambridge but two of them doing it is much more unlikely.