Re: GRANDSTAND: Tranmere

daftasfxxx wrote:If you freeze the video then O'Brien is onside, Podge didn't win the header it came off the shoulder of the Tranmere player. Good goal ruled out by incompetent linesperson
If you freeze the video at the moment the free kick is taken O'Brien is running forward and is offside. Clearly at that point he is 'interfering' with play, he is offside and the lineswoman is correct.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:If you freeze the video then O'Brien is onside, Podge didn't win the header it came off the shoulder of the Tranmere player. Good goal ruled out by incompetent linesperson
If you freeze the video at the moment the free kick is taken O'Brien is running forward and is offside. Clearly at that point he is 'interfering' with play, he is offside and the lineswoman is correct.
In a round about way, that kind of proves my point. Even checking a freeze frame, two people see it differently. Surely it's only fair to give the assistant referee a bit of slack.

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
In a round about way, that kind of proves my point. Even checking a freeze frame, two people see it differently. Surely it's only fair to give the assistant referee a bit of slack.
Absolutely agree with you that referees and Lino's should be given a bit of slack. These decisions are often marginal. However I think myself and daftas are in disagreement over the offside law. Daftas takes the view, if I have understood him correctly, that O'Brien was played on. I take the view that he was off side ab initio.

Amberexile wrote:When the free kick is taken isn't the issue as the ball is played again. If Podge gets the touch he could be offside, if the defender does, he isn't.
Reading the rules it seems to me that in running forward O'Brien is either attempting to play the ball or attempting to gain an advantage by causing defenders to act in a certain way. But I accept fully that you are a referee and I'm not.

However for me the problem is that the rule makers have caused themselves this difficultly. Once you allow interpretation into a decision arguments become inevitable.

Absolutely, they constantly tinker with offside and it's interpretation causing more confusion at every turn.

My argument was always if he's not seeking to gain an advantage why has he deliberately taken up an offside position?

The law makers however see it otherwise causing linos no end of grief when they delay the flag and the get accused of reacting to the appeal.