Re: GRANDSTAND: Tranmere

I have to say the performance yesterday was poor particularly second half. Our defence were the highlight with Demetriou and Poole outstanding. Labadie and Kennedy best of our midfield battling and defending with Kennedy making rampaging runs, but Sheehan, Willmott and Marsh- Brown were very,very poor. Giving the ball away, cruising through the game without any contribution. Matt was isolated upfront but was tightly marked by Tranmere's man mountain no 6 who was lucky to be on the pitch. Matt missed Amond greatly to feed off. Overall though if we play like that especially second half Swindon will beat us.
The free kick second half summed up the performance the players dummying themselves.
Set pieces woeful, chances created virtually unseen, their Keeper was not tested.
Thought as it was sunny many had rose tinted sunglasses on.
Last edited by somerton moss on April 7th, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pretty well agree with that summary
Tranmere were a decent side.
Ref was a disgrace and a bottler.
Thought Josh & Robbie were okay

Marsh Banks useless.

We were clueless yesterday but we did try and play some nice football without there keeper making a single save.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:Pretty well agree with that summary
Tranmere were a decent side.
Ref was a disgrace and a bottler.
Thought Josh & Robbie were okay

Marsh Banks useless.

We were clueless yesterday but we did try and play some nice football without there keeper making a single save.

You obviously missed the header that their keeper saved then. Tranmere only had one shot on target (to our 3 and yes I know they hit the xbar & post)
We weren't clueless, we tried but Tranmere were a very good , organised outfit. Stats underline how close a contest it was 50% possession each and 9 shots to 10, 3 corners to 2. To say Tranmere were decent but we were clueless is poor.
Willmott & KMB were awful but I thought Sheehan played quite well.
Poole was my motm too.

I enjoy reading our fans thoughts on games if I haven't managed to get to watch the game myself and it amazes me how different people view the games so differently.
It's like fans are watching 2 different games at times.
I suppose it's simply opinions but it's quite strange how views differ so much

Yeah - but Robbie Willmotts attempt would be included in those stats and the only person it troubled was the barman in the Pod!

On serious note I think both sides gave it 100%, ref was shite ..... and I think the drier it becomes the more difficult the pitch becomes (that game Thursday did it no favours but it is what it is).

With calibre of opposition still to visit RP I think play offs are a no no.

It’s a been a good season imo, and if we can secure our senior players that are out of contract, then it will have been a great season .

Baby steps and all that.

neilcork68 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
G Guest wrote:Look as I might, I can't see an offside. It was Good goal I think.
As the free kick is taken O'Brien is just offside.

He is only off side if he is actively interfering with play...Was he doing so is open to debate ????
If he is not interfering with play, what the hell is he doing on the pitch?
Shanks c1967.

The laws of the game have changed enormously since 1967 so what Shanks said then isn't really relevant any more.

I wasn't at the game yesterday but I saw the 2 minute highlights on YouTube today and from that angle I believe that the AR was correct in flagging for offside and the goal was correctly disallowed by the referee.

Dolans free kick is headed on by Armond. At the time when Armond headed the ball O'Brien was standing in an offside position. As soon as O'Brien played the ball he became active and therefore an offside offense occurred

At the time of the 'goal',I was in line with it and couldn't see anything wrong with it.Looking at it on the highlights,Podge wins the header which makes OB offside.He then controls the ball and shoots,so he is interfering with play.If Podge hadn't headed it,then OB wouldn't be offside,but then would the ball have got to him without the flick on.It seemed a harsh decision when you consider the one that Chelsea had allowed against Cardiff.

Percy plunkett wrote:At the time of the 'goal',I was in line with it and couldn't see anything wrong with it.Looking at it on the highlights,Podge wins the header which makes OB offside.He then controls the ball and shoots,so he is interfering with play.If Podge hadn't headed it,then OB wouldn't be offside,but then would the ball have got to him without the flick on.It seemed a harsh decision when you consider the one that Chelsea had allowed against Cardiff.
As the free kick is taken O'Brien is running forward and is just offside. It was a close, not harsh, decision. Had the 'goal' stood I don't think Tranmere could have complained that the lineswoman made an error, as the offside was marginal. However it was, just, the right decision.