Re: Will we make playoffs? Yes or No?

Collars wrote:Worth remembering that 25ish years ago this wouldn't even have been a discussion as there were no play-offs and our season would have finished after Man City. Unfair as some people may think them to be they do keep things interesting!
Absolutely. The playoff system is unfair but it does keep the season alive. I would justify the unfairness only by pointing out that everyone knows what system is in place before the season begins.

Collars wrote:Worth remembering that 25ish years ago this wouldn't even have been a discussion as there were no play-offs and our season would have finished after Man City. Unfair as some people may think them to be they do keep things interesting!
The Football League has had playoffs since 1987. That's 32 years now.

We've had the chance to go bankrupt, very slowly make our way back from the Hellenic League and play nearly 5 full League seasons since the play-offs started. :shock:

SJG99 wrote:
The Football League has had playoffs since 1987. That's 32 years now.

We've had the chance to go bankrupt, very slowly make our way back from the Hellenic League and play nearly 5 full League seasons since the play-offs started. :shock:
Wow 32 years - time flies when you're having fun! :grin:

With something like a 100% improvement in the rate at which we're collecting points per game since the transfer window ended, I'm beginning to feel like we might just squeek it.
We are literally knocking on the door of the play-offs:
Here is the top half of the table, laid out in the order of points collected per game, over a whole season:

1......Lincoln City.............................89.86
2......Mansfield Town......................81.30
3......M.K.Dons...............................80.23
4......Bury .......................................79.16
5......Tranmere Rovers...................75.95
6......Forest Green Rovers.............74.88
7......Exeter City..............................69.53

8......NEWPORT COUNTY.............69.00
9......Carlisle United .......................68.47
10....Colchester United..................67.40
11....Stevenage.............................67.40
12....Swindon Town.......................65.26

As it stands, we're about 1.5% away from the Play-Offs......any team from 5 I reckon, but we've made a massive improvement, at one point recently we were something like 11.5% away, now just 1.5%....bit of a sustained push, and we're home!

All you can ask is with 4 games to go the possibility is still there. Exeter are in poor form so there is a good possibility that we can gain the two points needed to make up the gap on them, especially with an extra game.

Lets look at whom each team play:
Exeter - Stevenage (A) Oldham (H) FGR (A)
Carlisle - Grimsby (A) Crawley (H) Yeovil (A)
Colchester - Yeovil (A) MKD (H) Lincoln (A)
Stevenage - Exeter (H) Mansfield (A) Cheltenham (H)

We have to accumulate 2 more points than Exeter (and improve the goal difference) and 1 more point than the other 3. Swindon are possibly out of it (hence why I have not bothered in including their 3 fixtures).

On paper Carlisle have the easier run-in but could easily lose points in any of their games.

I think County can do it...