Grandstand - Swindon Home

Prior to promotion back to the Football League in 2013, the two most recent matches between the two clubs were:

1986 / 1987:
Newport County 2-2 Swindon Town.
Goals from Steve Berry and Steve Mardenborough earned County this early season point.

Swindon Town 3-0 Newport County.
County finished the season in the bottom four while Swindon were promoted via the play-offs.

For both the above matches, Lou Macari was Swindon Town player manager while Jimmy Mullen was Newport County manager.

2014 / 2015:
Newport County 1-2 Swindon Town.
Johnstones Paint Trophy.
This was the first meeting between the two clubs in almost twenty seven years.
Swindon lead 2-0 by midway through the second half.
County's goal, which came in the final ten minutes, was scored by Yan Klukowski, his first goal for the club.
Aaron Collins made his senior debut for County as a first half sub, replacing Mike Flynn.
This was Joe Days sixth game in goal for County having joined them in the summer of 2014 and this was his first defeat in goal for County.

2015 / 2016:
Newport County 1-1 Swindon Town. Swindon won 7-6 via penalties.
Johnstones Paint Trophy.
Trailing at the break, Aaron Collins got the equalizer for County after coming off the bench early in the second half.
Coincidentally, it was Collins who missed County's seventh penalty in the shoot out.

2017 / 2018:
Swindon Town 0-1 Newport County.
This was the first league meeting between the two clubs in just under thirty years.
This was County's first victory at Swindon in sixty two years.
The games only goal came from Ben Tozer in the final quarter.
After twenty games, both teams were now just outside the play-offs.
Labadie received a yellow card and had it not been recinded, he'd have missed the following weekends FA Cup tie with Cambridge. It was recinded and Labadie scored both in a 2-0 win.

Newport County 2-1 Swindon.
First half goals from Amond and Tozer gave County a comfortable lead at the break.
The Robins reduced the arrears in the third quarter and had a player sent off midway through the second half.
County were now ten points (eleven with goal difference) outside the play-offs with only five to play while Swindon were just three points outside.
The was only the third time County had done the league double on Swindon.

2018 / 2019:
Swindon Town 1-0 Newport County.
EFL Trophy.
The games only goal was a late penalty from Mike Doughty.
Despite this defeat, County eventually got to R2 while Swindon didn't get past the group stage.

Swindon 2-1 Newport County.
County went through a spell of conceding goals in the first few minutes and this was one of them, trailing after sixty four seconds.
Swindon should have had the game sealed before the break, such was their dominance.
Amond leveled for County just after the break before Swindon got the winner in the final ten minutes. County remained in the play-offs after twenty one games while Swindon were four points outside.

Over the course of the above six games since 2014 / 2015, Swindon have had eight managers, six of them full time, two caretaker.

Managers:
Newport County - Mike Flynn.
Swindon Town - Richie Wellens.

Head to head:
Wellens 1
Flynn 0

A win for County will see them (1) three points outside the play-offs (four points taking goal difference into account) and (2) with a game advantage over most clubs above them.

Re: Grandstand - Swindon Home

phil_in_npton wrote:Nearly half time cuppa time...looks like I’ve got the biscuits to myself tonight...
Anyone else joining me?

Phil in Npton
Just had a couple of chocolate digestives myself Phil. Frantically scanning the Internet for updates/scores etc. Got Spurs v City on the box, Grandstand on here and my phone set to the LFC app. Cmon the County.

Re: Grandstand - Swindon Home

pembsexile wrote:
phil_in_npton wrote:Nearly half time cuppa time...looks like I’ve got the biscuits to myself tonight...
Anyone else joining me?

Phil in Npton
Just had a couple of chocolate digestives myself Phil. Frantically scanning the Internet for updates/scores etc. Got Spurs v City on the box, Grandstand on here and my phone set to the LFC app. Cmon the County.
Similar scenario here except I had a duo pack of Lotus (the healthier ones without the chocolate coating). And a cup of PG tips.

rgds Dave