Re: Grandstand - Swindon Home

Exile 1976 wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'm not convinced, but there we go. Our crowds seem to have hit a plateau, and our marketing efforts to build on them have also hit a wall. Relying on away teams to bring a good number with them doesn't strike me as a great financial strategy. And the point with owning one's own ground is that for cash-strapped lower league clubs, it allows you to maximise non-matchday revenue; not something that overly troubles the oligarchs at Man City et al, but pretty important for the likes of us!

Happy to accept I'm glass-half-full, but in financial matters I find that's generally a wider approach to have!
Kairdiff you make a good point about marketing as it is clearly non existent. Apart from the Argus how would any casual football supporter even beware that there was even a game on last night? Most, if not all, Clubs would as a bare minimum have a notice outside the ground informing of the next home game. I appreciate that the WRU would have a hissy fit at such a proposal, but what would be wrong with outside Baramber?

Of course, if they’re ‘casual’ football fans there’s always the BBC website, Sky Sports, SS website, Facebook, Twitter etc etc , surely a casual football fan would have access to at least one of those?
how do people think we managed before social media? in the 1979/80 season we had several crowds that would exceed the capacity of rp with only the argus or the briefest of mentions on local radio or tv, the problem is wall to wall football on tv we didn't have to worry about clashing with live European football back then because generally only the final would be shown live.

county37 wrote:
how do people think we managed before social media? in the 1979/80 season we had several crowds that would exceed the capacity of rp with only the argus or the briefest of mentions on local radio or tv, the problem is wall to wall football on tv we didn't have to worry about clashing with live European football back then because generally only the final would be shown live.
Your analysis makes perfect sense. But crowds today throughout the football league are higher than they were in the 1970's.

ghosty wrote:In the 79/80 season if I recall, towards the end of the season the Argus was not printed due to strikes.
Wasnt there a national printers strike at the time of the Walsall game? Seem to recall the programme being a couple of photocopied sheets in a pink card cover.

IMB wrote:
ghosty wrote:In the 79/80 season if I recall, towards the end of the season the Argus was not printed due to strikes.
Wasnt there a national printers strike at the time of the Walsall game? Seem to recall the programme being a couple of photocopied sheets in a pink card cover.
You are right about the photocopy and pink card cover. However my recall is it was a local not national dispute.