Grandstand - Bury Home

The clubs have met on twenty three occasions thus far. County have achieved the league double twice while Bury have none.
Most notable stand out match between the two was the final league game of 1972 / 73 in which County beat them 4-3 at Somerton Park but missed out on promotion by goal average against Aldershot.

Meetings between the two since County's return to the F L in 2013:

2013 / 2014:
Bury 0-0 Newport County.
This was the first meeting between the clubs in twenty-six to twenty-seven years.
The draw seen County in ninth position while Bury were eighteenth.

Newport County 0-0 Bury.
Another stalemate between the clubs.
With eight games remaining, County were mid table while Bury were four points from the drop.

2014 / 2015:
Bury 1-3 Newport County.
This was only the third time County had beaten Bury away.
County were 2-0 ahead at the break with both goals coming from Aaron O'Connor. Danny Rose got one back for the Shakers before O'Connor completed a hatrick during injury time. This was his first Football League hatrick. After eighteen games, County were eighth while Bury were seventh.

Newport County 0-2 Bury.
With just 4-5 games remaining, this was a play-off six pointer.
Goals either side of the break saw the Shakers take the points.
Bury were eventually promoted.

2018 / 2019:
Bury 1-1 Newport County.
After suffering a 4-1 loss at Crawley three days earlier, County got a decent point.
Bury were ahead at the break. Jamille Matt scored the equalizer from County's only shot on target during the third quarter.
After fifteen games, County were in fourth while Bury were eighth.

Anything but a win will as good as end any hopes of the play-offs.
This match is Mike Flynn's 100th ''league'' game in charge of County.
His record from the other ninety nine reads:
W 40
D 26
L 33

Goals for = 122
Goals against = 131

Managers:
County - Mike Flynn.
Bury - Ryan Lowe.

Head to head:
Mike Flynn 0
Ryan Lowe 0
Draws 1

Re: Grandstand - Bury Home

Just had a peek at their forum. Seems that today is payday (overdue from March) but allegedly hasn't been received. Think that is staff, but not clear if that includes players. There's one post expressing surprise that we have sent them tickets for tomorrow's game. I suppose it would be a cardinal sin in the eyes of other league clubs to withhold ticket receipts. A club could in theory submit a winding up order to retrieve the debt.

excessbee wrote:Just had a peek at their forum. Seems that today is payday (overdue from March) but allegedly hasn't been received. Think that is staff, but not clear if that includes players. There's one post expressing surprise that we have sent them tickets for tomorrow's game. I suppose it would be a cardinal sin in the eyes of other league clubs to withhold ticket receipts. A club could in theory submit a winding up order to retrieve the debt.
I imagine the PFA would step in fairly quickly if it was money owed to other clubs, and then just deduct it from their next payment.

JonD wrote:Yeah, I’m hopeful that County start on the front foot, take their chances, and win comfortably. Certainly Bury don’t appear to be the force they were a month ago.
Their results suggest not, but is it co-incidental that their recent downturn has been when their 'starman' Mayor has been suspended.
I note many reports describing him as the best footballer in League 2, and seem to recall Flynny saying something similar about him after we played them away. Unfortunately he is available today.
I agree though that we have to be positive and aggressive from the off, as anything less than a win today will almost certainly see us 'going through the motions' for the remaining matches.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
JonD wrote:Yeah, I’m hopeful that County start on the front foot, take their chances, and win comfortably. Certainly Bury don’t appear to be the force they were a month ago.
Their results suggest not, but is it co-incidental that their recent downturn has been when their 'starman' Mayor has been suspended.
I note many reports describing him as the best footballer in League 2, and seem to recall Flynny saying something similar about him after we played them away. Unfortunately he is available today.
I agree though that we have to be positive and aggressive from the off, as anything less than a win today will almost certainly see us 'going through the motions' for the remaining matches.
Going through the motions? What a terrible thought..has there been a spillage overnight? :shock:

Be lovely to get a win today in memory of Richie Jones who passed away suddenly on the weekend of the Cheltenham game. Being a Catholic like myself it would be great to get Good Friday win and extra special in a week that we laid Richie to rest. Great turnout from the lads Richie hope we did you proud and my thoughts are also with anyone who has lost someone recently.

supporter wrote:Be lovely to get a win today in memory of Richie Jones who passed away suddenly on the weekend of the Cheltenham game. Being a Catholic like myself it would be great to get Good Friday win and extra special in a week that we laid Richie to rest. Great turnout from the lads Richie hope we did you proud and my thoughts are also with anyone who has lost someone recently.
Hear, hear.

Nice touch that, sorry for your loss.

Be great to get a result today for all concerned. I expect a home defeat may end our season. I saw Podge last night and wished him luck.